Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

1983 International - roughly converted - buyer asking $7k

Hey skoolie enthusiasts!

Very new to this forum and lifestyle. My lady and I have decided to finally quit our jobs and embark on this nomadic path we feel is necessary in our lives at this time. So I did a quick search on CL and found this 1983 international bus that has already been roughly converted. The electrical system is semi-established already with some batteries and inverter (no solar), although we would mostly remodel all of it.

My question is, whether this is a solid investment to make or not. It's got 108,000 miles, engine is in pretty good shape. The manifold was recently replaced and it starts right up. He is asking $7,000 for it. Initially I thought this was a great deal but am questioning whether it would be worth it due to its age. That is why I am seeking some advice. We've been looking into doing the conversion ourselves and it can certainly be costly. Since this bus has already been stripped and converted does this make it easier on my wallet if I was to just remodel it to our specs? Any and all advice is welcomed. I consider myself a jack of all trades but my knowledge of mechanical systems is lacking. I know I could successfully design the interior into a nice, livable space for us but it really comes down to the money we can spend on the project.

Does 7k seem reasonable for this bus? If so, is it worth it buy just because it would help to eliminate some conversion costs? Or do we just do it from the ground up and buy a bus and do all the converting ourselves? Appreciate any feedback you can offer!

Pat

Here is the posting on CL..

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/rvs/6454615918.html

GlobalGroove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

I would not buy a bus that old. But that's me.
ratfink56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #3

Thanks! That's what I needed to hear. I think getting something newer is worth it. Glad to hear your opinion friend.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Lots of things I would say kill that deal for me. Primarily the gas engine is a deal breaker, the price is too high, and I wouldn't trust some random joe's conversion efforts.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I'd pass on that gas engine too. They're decent engines, but haven't been made in roughly 30 years and getting hard to find parts for. And they're not known for good fuel economy. Power will be lacking even on level ground at highway speeds.

You can buy a much newer diesel powered bus for considerably less money, and have something with much better parts availability and fuel economy. You'll have more highway power too.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #6

Awesome, that's about all I need to pass on this one. Thanks guys, I can tell this forum will be a huge asset for us. I appreciate all the feedback!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Lots of things I would say kill that deal for me. Primarily the gas engine is a deal breaker, the price is too high, and I wouldn't trust some random joe's conversion efforts.
EXACTLY!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
also, i would never consider a 7k bus if i was just gonna remodel it anyway. you can get a bus and start from scratch with a good diesel much cheaper

edit - cl posting is expired, so didnt see how converted it was
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I always think of passign on someone else's conversion unless it is done in such a way that you can use alot of the work already done, or there are expensive parts you are salvaging.. otherwise its twice as hard to rip out someone else's Half-ass build to get to a clean slate for you to build vs gettung a virgin bus and gutting it out.
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I always think of passign on someone else's conversion unless it is done in such a way that you can use alot of the work already done, or there are expensive parts you are salvaging.. otherwise its twice as hard to rip out someone else's Half-ass build to get to a clean slate for you to build vs gettung a virgin bus and gutting it out.
-Christopher
The only converted bus I want is the one where they gave up after gutting the interior and haven't built anything
jjhwick119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
The only converted bus I want is the one where they gave up after gutting the interior and haven't built anything

there are some of those out there!!! I recently saw a nice opne sort of local to me and got excited because it was an MD-3060 on a 250 HP DT-466E.. and air conditioned!(condensors were still on the skirts)..... said "gutted".. yeah including the air-conditioners.. PASS!!!!!! i dont want it THAT gutted..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #12

I may have just the bus for you! It's an 83 bluebird, international chassis. Diesel, with an Allison auto trans. It is already gutted but not converted. If you are interested please email me at blflinn@live.com I will have more info and pics for you. I have not advertised this bus yet as we have just made the decision to sell it.
TheFlinns is offline   Reply With Quote