Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
1991 GMC Ward short bus for sale in Mahtowa, MN

Mahtowa, MN (near Cloquet)

I have a 1991 GMC Vandura 3500 Ward short bus that I bought in about 2004 from Voyageur Bus Company in Duluth. 350ci gasoline engine. Bus 405 was used throughout the Duluth/Superior area and I remember seeing it at the Superior schools quite a bit before it was retired. I bought it as a hauling vehicle for my Pure Stock race car and we installed a heavy duty receiver hitch and put it in service during the 2005 race season. It never let me down in the 7 seasons it transported my trailer and tools to the tracks in Proctor and Superior. Three years ago, after 16 years of racing including 24 feature wins, countless heat wins, 2 second place points finishes and a Proctor Pure Stock Championship it was time to move on to other hobbies. I held on to the bus and my car because I thought I might get back in, but I just sold my car so I am officially out of the race game. Time to sell the green machine since I have no use for it (trust me, I have tried to think of something because I love the bus and hate to see it go). I live in Duluth and keep the bus in my sister and brother-in-law's yard so I don't want to take up their space if I am not using the bus. I also have two daughters in college and the proceeds will go directly to my youngest daughter's tuition.

I have a folder full of maintenance info from Voyageur and I have done regular maintenance since I bought it. It has never used a drop of oil and the exhaust is clean as a whistle. I didn't plan on quitting racing so I recently put a lot of money in it that will benefit whoever buys it more than it did me (actually asking what I put into it alone)...stuff I added as follows:

1. All new tires (about 500 miles on them and the nubs are still
on them) $1100 invested with tires, mounting and balancing.
2. New exhaust system with O2 sensor.
3. heavy duty receiver with trailer light harness installed.
4. Digital trailer brake controller.
5. New rear steel brake lines.

All the hard work is done. I removed all the bus seats and the lift, Coach bus seats with RV table as a booth and put a love seat across the back wall that fits perfect across the bus. It was handy for napping between races and can be easily removed. The bus is all ready to be converted into a camper or you could leave it as is and use it for tailgating or racing. There is some rust on the cab and a little here and there on the bus, but it is very solid and the frame is solid (as you can see in the pics of the exhaust).

Asking $2000 but I am open to reasonable offers. I posted it here first because I thought you all would like first chance at it before I post it on Craigslist. My email is spd2662@yahoo.com and I check it regularly so ask any questions that come to mind or make me an offer. I am posting pictures below so let me know if you would like a higher rez photo or a photo of something you wish to see better. My original thread here is http://www.skoolie.net/forums/members/67-albums220.html if you want to see my history with the bus and how it got to where it is today.

Jon

Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Hey!

This bus looks really neat, what's your avg mpg w/w/o loads?
We would be interested in a trade, what would you be seeking?
dirtykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Skoolie

I wish I could tell you the mileage but that's something I never checked. I didn't even known the mileage of the bus until I looked at it for the ad here. I know I put about 10 gallons of gas in each week and drove it about 55 miles round trip to the track each week. I would still have gas left each week that would build each week. I would guess, based on that, that my mpg was about 8-10mpg with about 500lbs of gear in the bus, and about 6000lbs worth of race car, trailer, tools and tires behind it. I rarely drove it without it doing work for me but I would guess it gets about 15mpg empty.

I told my daughter she could have whatever we got for the bus to help pay for school in exchange for helping me touch up the paint and cleaning it so I am in no position to trade. I also have way too many "toys" so I need space more than stuff. I am open to offers though so don't be afraid to ask if you're in the position to buy.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

Do you have additional interior pics you can post?
~ Thanks
jgodsey@me.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
Skoolie

Old 405 has a new home with my new friends in Colorado Springs, Co. Never imagined that it would end up so far away, but I couldn't have picked a better couple to own it! I will definitely miss it.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 PM   #6
Skoolie

My last view as it went to it's new home...