Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE w/alison OD
Engine: 5.9 cummins 24 v
Rated Cap: 72
Re: 1994 RUST FREE blue bird All American RE

THANK YOU! That is a great point. It is used- but not used up. and it has been maintained to the highest of standards.

This was certainly a trip bus- so it is safe to say that it saw both a lot of idle time and a lot of highway time as well as its regular route. I just wish I could secure the maint. records on it.

This has become a lenghty discussion on it, so I doubt it will find a new home through this ad.

bluebirdjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmylc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdjohn
THANK YOU! That is a great point. It is used- but not used up. and it has been maintained to the highest of standards.

This was certainly a trip bus- so it is safe to say that it saw both a lot of idle time and a lot of highway time as well as its regular route. I just wish I could secure the maint. records on it.

This has become a lenghty discussion on it, so I doubt it will find a new home through this ad.
With your price maybe not. But still possible. It might be a great deal due to location and options for someone who doesn't want to drive 1500 miles or whatever.
You seem to be more knowledgeable of what the market value is than I am on these- What makes my price so far off base? Is it the idea that it is for sale for a bit more than I have in it?

Have you gotten a better deal on yours? Im not the type to want to give someone a less than fair deal. What would you honestly say it was worth? I know there are 5.9/545 rear engines that can be bought for 2500 any day of the week. I can buy 2 at that price right now. There is no comparison between a tc2000FE 5.9 and a AA RE 8.3.

Seriously What is fair on this bus. I have not misrepresented it in any way- so please assume no BS.

thanks!
John
Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

well said- 3 K would be a smokin deal on this bus- I cant let it go for that price. in my mind- that is a decent price for a tc2000 with a 5.9 FE and 100K miles. A gas bus doesnt compare to one of these, but if you arent likely to move it but a few miles at a time, I guess there would be little difference. Rear engine might not even make much of a difference. Tilt nose might even be the ticket. I dont know.

Thanks for your input. Im still weighing my options on my option of which one to convert. I think this one has 2" more headroom than my 98- so it may still get consideration for the project.

I hear what you are saying on the price= length of time for sale. I listed it with pretty high hopes of funding my conversion. $4,500 is the current price- or at least the starting point for negotiations.

Good luck on your hunt for a bus- Are you partcular on the age- I know where there are some 70's gas-pots. Not mine- but maye close to scrap price.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #24

New here, this add seems to have gotten out of hand a little. I wish I could purchase this bus. I will be in the market in the near future but am not ready to bite just yet. This bus seems like a great deal to me based on what I have found online in for sale for similar prices. I am excited to get going on my conversion.
theVanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I recently saw a 97 GMC gas 72Passenger go really cheap- The bus company said they couldnt afford to run the thing anymeor at 3mpg. It had a 6.0 L gas and an allison. i didnt want to think about 3 mpg to drive it home so I could part it out... My point is They are out there, and they were made far later than I thought. Worst part is somebody bought that thing new!...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theVanman
New here, this add seems to have gotten out of hand a little. I wish I could purchase this bus. I will be in the market in the near future but am not ready to bite just yet. This bus seems like a great deal to me based on what I have found online in for sale for similar prices. I am excited to get going on my conversion.
yes it has gotten out of hand. I tried to post the price as reasonable- but Im also trying to raise some money to get moving on the one Im going to convert.

With 3 pages of banter now, I dont really expect to sell it on skoolie, but it gives me a feel for where some of the other members are comming from.

I would still come down on the price. but like I said- negotiation starts at 4500. if you are in the pac northwest- maybe we could barter as the negotiating part. Tools and building materials would help offset some of the funds needed...

If you are lucky- I will still have it when you can bite. I got offered 2000 by some "dude with a band" on c list- but seriously that is my first offer. Im not selling it for 2 k.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Update:

With little thanks to this classified ad or most of the responses, The bus has sold for $4500.00 All systems in tact except for the overhead flashers and the stop sign.

To all who want to find a bus just like this one for $750.00- Good Luck!

I do apologize to all who may have been offended by me tryuing to sell tis machine, but I simply have no reason to convert 3 of them. Something profitable has to happen with the other two.

cheers.
John
Old 04-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

That's just the nature of an internet forum--everyone's got an opinion. I would suppose most would take a different tack when they try to sell thier own bus.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #29
Bus Crazy

I think i will advertise all my stuff on here... who needs Craigslist when we got Skoolie.net?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Point taken on the last comment- I listed it here first, so it may be snagged by someone who would appreciate it. I sold it on C list ultimately.

I thought the Skoolie fans would be more appreciative if the 8.3 All Anmerican than many c listers may be...

I have had great success buying, selling, and trading International pick-up parts on International pick-up forums. Hot Rod parts- Same thing.

Lesson Learned.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Don't know why you got all huffy when it was pointed out that you were asking too much (and you DID sell it for less than $6K). We paid $1400 for our Rust Free 1986 BlueBird All American (40 ft). They had it listed in a local paper for $2K, then after a few months dropped it to $1500. We offered $1400 cash (all 20's) and drove it home. Good price for a moving van, which was what we were buying.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Don't know why you got all huffy when it was pointed out that you were asking too much (and you DID sell it for less than $6K). We paid $1400 for our Rust Free 1986 BlueBird All American (40 ft). They had it listed in a local paper for $2K, then after a few months dropped it to $1500. We offered $1400 cash (all 20's) and drove it home. Good price for a moving van, which was what we were buying.
I did in fact get all "huffy". I admit 6K was too much- but I always stated I was negotiable- Im a bartering kind of guy. I have use for tons of different things- just not this extra bus. The whole concept of selling something is to start at the upper side of reasonable and dicker to the final selling price- in this case- 75% of the original asking price. The ad I listed it with on Craigslist was for 5K. I still expected to be whittled down on the price, but left myself a little wiggle room. I was not sure where to price it to begin with, but I now know that 4500. Is a solid predictable price for a bus like this.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

The other has a great running 5.9 and the alison md 3060 OD trans. The engine at least and maybe the tranny is going in my 1972 IH crew cab short box pick-up. See photo:
I built the pick-up from a pile, including ALL paint, ALL mechanical and ALL fab work.The trailer is scratch built from my hands. The 36 IHC truck on the trailer is another running driver that gets some seasonal attention as well.
When I get the time to start on my bus project it may be posted here- a full time Job and full time family take priority over my side projects.
Thank you for your interest in my progress.
I will keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails
camera download jan 2011 202.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Love both of them!!! Great pic.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Love both of them!!! Great pic.
Thanks! I have sort of been working my way up to the large vehicle project...
Old 04-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
I recently saw a 97 GMC gas 72Passenger go really cheap- The bus company said they couldnt afford to run the thing anymeor at 3mpg. It had a 6.0 L gas and an allison. i didnt want to think about 3 mpg to drive it home so I could part it out... My point is They are out there, and they were made far later than I thought. Worst part is somebody bought that thing new!...
I still see a couple of gasssers locally...there are a couple of GMC's (one running on propane), and at least one 370 Ford. I suspect 3MPG was a propane motor.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The other has a great running 5.9 and the alison md 3060 OD trans. The engine at least and maybe the tranny is going in my 1972 IH crew cab short box pick-up. See photo:
I built the pick-up from a pile, including ALL paint, ALL mechanical and ALL fab work.The trailer is scratch built from my hands. The 36 IHC truck on the trailer is another running driver that gets some seasonal attention as well.
When I get the time to start on my bus project it may be posted here- a full time Job and full time family take priority over my side projects.
Thank you for your interest in my progress.
I will keep you posted.

very nice IH...

Im sorry about my post (pg 2) edit it now (not that it matters)..and my math was way off, and I was NOT trying to sabotage your add. I think I added the tenth's?

anyhow...IIRC Ford did a study (I work for a large muncipality that generaly uses ford cars/tk's) that idle ALOT. (kinda like skoolies) and their formula is that for every IDLE hour = 33 miles driven. We use hour meters more than mileage for serviceing.

so you can get a feel for the miles on a bus that have hour meters.
YMMV
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #38

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

You are wasting your time trying to sell your bus here. The only way people here would pay $4500 for your bus was if it was rusted to crap and was powered by a 13 hp Honda lawn mower engine. They won't pay for a 643 trans either. They would rather have a 545 slushbox that won't lockup until it grenades. You should have just pulled the 8.3 and put a Ford Pinto 4 banger in it. No one would have known the difference.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

that is funny stuff!

It did in fact sell to a member of the board- He knew what he was looking for and knew what the components were worth by themselves.

I would rather sell something cheap to someone who is great to deal with than get twice the money out of someone who is a major pain in the neck to deal with.

Thanks to everyone who offered any constructive feedback THANK YOU!
To all the experts who have one just like it but ten years older and was almost totalled when they bought it, AND has a far less desireable engine: Im glad to hear you are happy with your vehicle and what you paid.

happy trails

John
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #40

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Everyone is an expert on a forum. Thank God they are not running the country! The 8.3 is the bomb. You should have kept that one. Mine got 10.5 mpg on a 1200 mile trip. That included hills and going over the grapevine. The 643 locks up in third and forth. I was cruising at 65 mph with a rpm of 1650. Some of these other guys are doing 55 at 3000 rpm getting 6mpg. Whoever got your bus will NEVER regret it.

P.S. what happened on this thread is called thread crapping. On a lot of forums, if you crap on a for sale thread, you get a warning then you get spanked. If someone wants 2 million dollars for a screwdriver, that is their right. If someone wants to pay 2 million dollars for that screwdriver, that is their right too. If you're not a serious buyer, STFU. There are plenty of other sections of the forum for you to contribute your wealth of knowledge.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote