Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

I don't know. Rattle can paint job, 7:1 rear axle ratio, almost certainly a 454 TBI engine and the transmission overheats. Look forward to replacing the rear end gears, rebuilding the transmission (big $$ on an Allison) and whatever else this bus needs.

DWJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:07 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJoyce View Post
I don't know. Rattle can paint job, 7:1 rear axle ratio, almost certainly a 454 TBI engine and the transmission overheats. Look forward to replacing the rear end gears, rebuilding the transmission (big $$ on an Allison) and whatever else this bus needs.
Thanks for the great summary. As my last comment indicated, this is probably a good one to use as a more or less stationary tiny house. Nonetheless, I think we established that the transmission only overheats when it's driven outside the limits of its original purpose, namely over 55 mph. As long as you stay around 55mph, you can drive all day.

As I made clear, this engine is a 1995 427A, not a 454. It might be TBI or carbureted - I did not lift the air cleaner housing to see. If that's important, I wlll, but I'm sure the important thing is that this is gas (as in "not diesel").

The paint job is actually not rattle can - I still have a gallon can of the original auto-grade paint. However, it's not the greatest job, for sure.

So, why would you say that the trans needs rebuilding? Seemed just fine to me. The fluid doesn't smell burnt, it shifts just fine, and when I drove it from up north over the I-5 Grapevine on a very hot day it pulled that very large altitude change just fine with no overheating. Further, I watched the trans temp gauge, which is why I know it's fine at 55 and gets hot at 65. This means I didn't get it hot enough to roast it - I slowed down before that happened and the trans cooled down to acceptable levels. If I didn't make that clear before, I am doing so now. Further discussion with knowledgeable posters on this thread helped us establish that the issue is probably the rear end ratio of 7.1, which can be seen in the posted photos and has been discussed very clearly and openly before your snide post.

From my perspective, if used as specified, this bus needs nothing else, mechanically. I do think, as stated, that someone could very much improve the quality of the "conversion" (and I think that's obvious in the title of the thread). Mechanically it looks very good. the body is very clean, with no rust. Tires are good.

I don't think I've pulled any punches here. Perhaps you can add something constructive? Or maybe nothing at all.

Anyone can feel free to make an offer for a lower amount, if they want - my feeling won't be hurt. Clearly I understand the bus's shortcomings, but I also understand that there is value even with those in mind - just not for everyone.

Not sure what the point is of bashing my listing in ways that are not accurate. I have certain names for people who do this, but I'll try to stay polite.
garycolwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
The tc2000 had a tall deck 427 engine option. That is a truck engine designed for longevity but still gets the mpg you expect with had engine buses. They stopped offering that option after a few years, making the 5.9 Cummins the only option for front engine models. Lots of good information out there on the tall deck 427, it's not just a motor out of a Corvette.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Sold

This bus is sold.

Thanks to everyone who helped me clarify what I was selling - it is always my goal to make sure the buyer is fully aware of what is being offered and to be satisfied that the item they are buying is fit for their purpose and carries the value they are investing. I did not get asking price, but I believe I got what the market will bear, given the parameters of this particular vehicle/home.

To the one person who unnecessarily bashed my listing, when it comes time for you to sell something, I hope you are as open and transparent as possible, and I hope others treat your listing with respect.

I believe this bus is not suitable for many people, but I also believe it's perfect for the use case of the buyer.

Thanks all, and I think I'll be back when it comes time for me to buy the short bus that my wife would be happy to convert. Meantime, we will lurk and learn, and perhaps ask questions here and there.
garycolwill is offline   Reply With Quote