Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #21
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Are there alternative transmissions that the manufacturers don't play games like Allison?
I dont think I have heard of any other Auto transmissions in buses other than Allison? Perhaps there are some Eatons out there in larger buses?
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 PM   #22
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 12,004
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there are other companies oput there that build and sell custom programmed allison transmissions.. i wonder what happens if you send them the TCM and explain its a custom application(not a bus or camper) if they can program it for 6th gear...

the transmission itself doesnt do any of the control.. the control is in the little TCM box.. which is easy to remove and ship someplace
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 PM   #23
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Thank you for the information but it seems awfully complicated all told. I would really like something with lockers because of these coastal mountains. I think I'll just continue going slow with my 545 until that blows or if I get a better bus.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #24
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlund90 View Post
Vers- I'll check in on those factors thanks for the opinion.
Steve/ECB- isn't speed affected by the transmission more than the engine? if the 5.9 can't be rebuilt in the frame I'm gonna have to rethink this. Even with 92k miles on the engine i feel like that is very important, no?

Just my $.02 but the 5.9 Cummings is easily modified, lasts forever and can pull a freight train. Even if it is best known in smaller trucks it is no wimp. I have personally freighted a stock 3500 Dodge with a 42' gooseneck trailer loaded with 20,000+ lbs and gone down the interstate at reasonable speed.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #25
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,349
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
Just my $.02 but the 5.9 Cummings is easily modified, lasts forever and can pull a freight train. Even if it is best known in smaller trucks it is no wimp. I have personally freighted a stock 3500 Dodge with a 42' gooseneck trailer loaded with 20,000+ lbs and gone down the interstate at reasonable speed.
I agree to a certain extent. I have a 5.9 in my 3500 have pulled 18,000+ and it does a respectable job. I did have to drop to 5th gear over Snoqualmie Summit.

Mine has been modified to produce about 425 horsepower. I do love my 5.9.

Last forever... Here is where we can disagree. There is a reason why Cummins does not build 5.9's to 425hp at the factory and install them in busses that gross 33,000lbs. Because they will not last.

Big horsepower, longevity and affordability... Pick two.... You cannot have all three...
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 PM   #26
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,349
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there are other companies oput there that build and sell custom programmed allison transmissions.. i wonder what happens if you send them the TCM and explain its a custom application(not a bus or camper) if they can program it for 6th gear...

the transmission itself doesnt do any of the control.. the control is in the little TCM box.. which is easy to remove and ship someplace
-Christopher
I tried that. I called three different places that offer custom Allison's and got the same answer from all three. They do custom 1000's & 2000's but not MD-3060's. That said, I have not even come close to talking to every shop out there but after getting the same answer from the first three I went back to talking to Allison factory service shops.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:38 PM   #27
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,349
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Are there alternative transmissions that the manufacturers don't play games like Allison?
I have never seen an auto in this arena that was not an Allison. I have spoken with two driver with Mercedes engine equipped class 8's that claimed to have Mercedes autos behind them but I have no idea if it was fact.

If there aren't pictures then it didn't happen

I don't think that Allison is "playing games" they are protecting their reputation and protecting themselves from product liability. If I unlock 6th in my bus and put my foot to the floor I will exceed the speed rating of the tires. In a vehicle loaded with 72 children, there is NO reason to ever go that fast and if you do and crash then everybody who had a hand in building/equipping the bus gets sued. Simple solution, don't allow the bus to go that fast.

Just my $0.02

S.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #28
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have never seen an auto in this arena that was not an Allison. I have spoken with two driver with Mercedes engine equipped class 8's that claimed to have Mercedes autos behind them but I have no idea if it was fact.

If there aren't pictures then it didn't happen
.
The Class 8 Mercedes Auto transmissions are branded Detroit in the US. They are starting to pick up a little bit of sales over here, but pretty insignificant. Decent share of the market overseas though.

Volvo also has a great Auto transmission, but in the US you can only get it with a volvo motor, and I havnt seen any Volvo buses yet

I guess we are stuck with Allison for now!
deftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #29
Bus Geek
 
Robin97396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Willamina, Oregon
Posts: 6,409
Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's some interesting information gentlemen. This 545 may not be the best transmission but on my low budget it's going to do fine as long as it keeps moving me. Until then I can still shop for a better Allison. Thanks.
__________________
Robin
Nobody's Business
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #30
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 5,349
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
The Class 8 Mercedes Auto transmissions are branded Detroit in the US. They are starting to pick up a little bit of sales over here, but pretty insignificant. Decent share of the market overseas though.

Volvo also has a great Auto transmission, but in the US you can only get it with a volvo motor, and I havnt seen any Volvo buses yet

I guess we are stuck with Allison for now!
Interesting info. I look forward to seeing how Mercedes does in the market here.

I guess the Mercedes Auto is not a unicorn

Thank you.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×