Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 35
Send a message via AIM to buswizard
1996 International AmTran For Sale

Hi all! I am listing my 1996 AmTran International short school bus for all interested viewers today. I'm located in Brighton, MI. I just had the bus tuned up and a mechanic at a local auto shop commented about how STRONG this bus is! I have begun converting the bus into a mini-camper. You'll notice that two passenger seats remain on each side. I removed the rest of the seats, installed sub-flooring, and carpeting. This is one sharp vehicle!

Specifications:
•1996 AmTran short school bus (originally 36 passenger)
•International 3800 Series T444E diesel engine
•Hydraulic brakes
•AT545 automatic transmission (shifts smoothly)
•Mor-Ryde rear suspension
•124,000 miles

Listed at $3,000.00. Can't last long with these low miles!

To see photos visit this link: http://stu.wccnet.edu/~rgrant2/

buswizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 1996 International AmTran For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotaccordion
Hello,

I'm looking for a short bus that fits these criteria.
But i only have about one thousand to spend.
I'm sorry if thats insulting but that is where i'm at.
If interested feel free to email me at makebikedesign@gmail.com
I'm also up for work trade...I am a graphic designer and make websites that look real good.

Let me know

M.
Hi M,

Thanks for your interest in my bus! At this time I'm looking for higher offers, but I will certainly keep your contact information handy! This bus is also available on eBay. For more information visit this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...CA:MOTORS:1123

Best,
Ryan
Old 06-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Skoolie

Interested in your bus have a few questions.

Anybody know about how many HP this engine has and the torque?

You know the bumper to bumper length?

How many gallons the fuel tank holds and or the range?

How many mpg.

What is top speed to cruise on interstate?

PM me your buy it now price have cash and no ebay account

I have a 87 bluebird gas and I am looking for more HP and mpg, I want to be able to tow a trailer that will weigh about 6000-7000 lbs total.

Thanks in advance.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Interested in your bus have a few questions.

Anybody know about how many HP this engine has and the torque?

You know the bumper to bumper length?

How many gallons the fuel tank holds and or the range?

How many mpg.

What is top speed to cruise on interstate?
Hi Hoser,

Thanks for your questions! I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to engines, but I'll do my best to answer your questions. I know the length of the bus bumper to bumper is 24 feet. The fuel tank holds roughly 30 gallons +/- of diesel I'd say. I'm basing my estimate on how much it costs me to fill her up, as I've never gotten her below 1/3 remaining. As far as MPG is concerned, I'd estimate it to be anywhere in the range of 10-15 MPG? I previously owned a similar bus and it was right in this range so I feel pretty confident that's accurate.

I've read lots about people removing the "governor" on these engines. Thus far my top speed has been about 55-60 MPH on the interstate....but I'll be the first one to admit that I don't like to push her too hard haha. I'm sure she's capable of exceeding that with modifications? Just don't know what they might involve.

I took a few pictures of the labels I could find on the engine that might be of some help as far as the horsepower and torque are concerned. I'll upload them in this reply. Let me know if you have additional questions. I'll PM you a message regarding the price.

Talk to you soon,
Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Photo01.jpg   Photo02.jpg   Photo03.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Engine 444 cubic inches is 7.3 liters

Hey, my bus has this same engine. It is good for me. The 7.3 makes about 180HP and is a high speed diesel engine with maximine engine speed of 2750 RPM.
These engines are also called the IDI engines. IDI means indirect injection. The next engines of this size are the power stroke design. The 7.3 is a very reliable engine with some good care. At this time parts are available every place and mostly cheap to buy. The fuel filter must be changed carefully or air will enter the fuel system. Installing an electric fuel pump and removing and putting a blank off plate where the mechanical pump was located is a great plan. Adding some Power Service the the fuel will make the pump last and make a noticable difference in power and smooth idle. There are also other good fuel additives.
I use fuel an additive in all my buses. Installing an electrical fuel pump makes changing the filter an easy quick task. Turning the electric pump on pushes fuel thru the filter and makes fuel available to the injection pump. The injection pump will not pump air, only liquid fuel. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks, Frank! Good to know.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Skoolie

Re: Engine 444 cubic inches is 7.3 liters

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
Hey, my bus has this same engine. It is good for me. The 7.3 makes about 180HP and is a high speed diesel engine with maximine engine speed of 2750 RPM.
These engines are also called the IDI engines. IDI means indirect injection. The next engines of this size are the power stroke design. The 7.3 is a very reliable engine with some good care. At this time parts are available every place and mostly cheap to buy. The fuel filter must be changed carefully or air will enter the fuel system. Installing an electric fuel pump and removing and putting a blank off plate where the mechanical pump was located is a great plan. Adding some Power Service the the fuel will make the pump last and make a noticable difference in power and smooth idle. There are also other good fuel additives.
I use fuel an additive in all my buses. Installing an electrical fuel pump makes changing the filter an easy quick task. Turning the electric pump on pushes fuel thru the filter and makes fuel available to the injection pump. The injection pump will not pump air, only liquid fuel. Frank

Is this engine turbocharged?

Any ideas on the torque?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
Bus Nut

IDI

................ NO.
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Re: Engine 444 cubic inches is 7.3 liters

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id

Is this engine turbocharged?

Any ideas on the torque?
If it is a 1996 model it should be the powerstroke type engine and would be turbocharged and direct injection.
jump66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
Skoolie

So nobody knows the torque? I dont need diesel bus with the same hp and torque as my bus with the 366 gas engine
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid
It will be far more torque than your gasser I would say double the torque of a small block. Power output was 215 hp at 3000 rpm and 425 ft·lbf at 1600 rpm for 1994-1997.

Sweet .
Are their other diesels in the shorter buses that has more torque?

All I could find on the 366 gas specs are
Quote:
here you go, this is for a 1969 366.
gross horsepower 235 @ 4000
Net horsepower 200 @ 4000 RPM
Gross Torque 345 lb-ft @ 2600 RPM
Net torque 315 lb-ft @ 2400 RPM.
Thanks again
Old 06-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincinnati_kid
It will be far more torque than your gasser I would say double the torque of a small block. Power output was 215 hp at 3000 rpm and 425 ft·lbf at 1600 rpm for 1994-1997.

Sweet .
Are their other diesels in the shorter buses that has more torque?

All I could find on the 366 gas specs are
Quote:
here you go, this is for a 1969 366.
gross horsepower 235 @ 4000
Net horsepower 200 @ 4000 RPM
Gross Torque 345 lb-ft @ 2600 RPM
Net torque 315 lb-ft @ 2400 RPM.
Thanks again
the dt466 engine will have more torque.
jump66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:06 PM   #13

1996 international amtran rear engine diesel t444e

Im in the process of converting my school bus but im in need of assistance with finding parts and replacement parts so that i can give her a tone up and more specifically im trying to figure out what fuel pump and fuel filter that ill need and where i can find the parts ill need, so if anyone can help guide a newbie in the right direction ill greatly appreciate the help. Thank you for your time and support 🤙🏼
Younglifebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Is your fuel pump leaking or non working? No reason to change it if it’s good.

Fuel and oil filters are available at most auto parts stores .. they are similar to the ford power stroke 7.3 , advance auto and oreilly can look up international parts.. I think your bus is either a 3000 or an RE300, fuel and oil filters for a 3800 will be same
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Is your fuel pump leaking or non working? No reason to change it if it’s good.

Fuel and oil filters are available at most auto parts stores .. they are similar to the ford power stroke 7.3 , advance auto and oreilly can look up international parts.. I think your bus is either a 3000 or an RE300, fuel and oil filters for a 3800 will be same
Thanks Cadillac kid appreciate the help and yes i believe its a 3000 and at this point i believe its not working as when we turn it on the ignition will turn but the bus will not start so i plan to firsr replace the filter and test the fuel pump to see if that will fix the problem if not then i want to be prepared to replace the fuel pump to Hopefully fix the problem.
Younglifebus is offline   Reply With Quote