Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan
Engine: Cummins 5.9
1997 bus for sale, partially converted [SOLD]

Edit: This bus has been sold.

A couple years ago I started reading about school bus conversions, and especially a lot of stuff on skoolie.net. I like the idea of a bus conversion, and last year, I bought a bus to convert.

Unfortunately, circumstances changed, and I haven't had a lot of time to work on it. Now it is necessary to sell the bus that I had hoped to convert into a motorhome.

I have just enough work done on this bus to make it legal. Some lucky buyer will be saved much of the hard work, and can start quickly on the fun customization part. The vehicle has been titled as a motorhome instead of a bus, stop sign and flashing lights have been removed, seats have been removed, and it's painted white (with black trim) instead of yellow. Also included are many plumbing supplies (including stainless steel sink, water pump, pressure tank, PEX tubing and quick connect fittings), electrical (including 3 deep cycle batteries, 2000 watt inverter, and 00 gauge wire to hook them up), and a roof top air conditioner (not installed.)

The bus is a 1997 Carpenter Crown, approximately 36 feet long, flat nose front engine layout. It has a Cummins 5.9 engine and Allison MT643 transmission, and less than 100,000 miles on the odometer. Also, the fuel tank is 104 gallons: since many people report close to 10 MPG with this engine and transmission combination, it should have a range of almost 1000 miles!

I'm not certain what this vehicle is worth, considering that a partially converted bus is a bit of a specialty item. I've listed it for sale on eBay with a $3500 reserve (which is considerably less than what I've spent on it). The auction listing is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT The auction contains more details than I've listed here.

I also have some pictures of the bus in a gallery here: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2944159/1/Bus?h=28c110

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Anomalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 1997 bus for sale, partially converted

Economic reasons is only part of why I'm selling the bus. I'm going to be moving across the country in a couple months (NY to AZ), and I will not have any place to store or work on it, or much free time.

It's fairly unlikely that I'll be getting another bus any time soon, since I don't have the space for it. I've been reading about building a custom teardrop trailer or tiny travel trailer (http://mikenchell.com/forums/), which is kind of in the same spirit as a bus conversion but with a smaller footprint. Unfortunately, it seems to often cost about as much to build a tiny camping trailer as it does to convert a whole bus!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Hello, wow neat bus. Love the thought of the toy hauler. Can you tell me, seeing the bus came from the north, is it insulated? I would think so.

Thanks
T
BMenagerieFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMenagerieFarms
Hello, wow neat bus. Love the thought of the toy hauler. Can you tell me, seeing the bus came from the north, is it insulated? I would think so.
I answered your question on eBay already, but I'll repeat it here:

I'm not sure how well the walls and ceiling are insulated. There was fiberglass insulation in the space above the windshield and above the back door, but I cleaned it all out because mice had gotten in there. It would be easy to reinstall insulation in those areas. In the area above the windshield I had planned to install an inch or two foam board insulation, then use the remaining space for storage. There isn't any glove box, so I thought it would be a handy place to store maps, paperwork, and such.

I think that if you planned to use the bus in cold climates you would want to add insulation yourself, even if the walls are filled with the fiberglass insulation. The fiberglass in the front and back looked like it would have left a lot of air gaps for the heat to escape through, even if the mice hadn't gotten in there and rearranged it. I imagine you'd also want to cover up and insulate a lot of the window space.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I had a buyer for this bus, but after 6 weeks of continuous delays ("I'll come pick it up next weekend"), the buyer has dropped out of contact entirely.

I am relisting this on eBay, this time with no reserve set and a buy-it-now price of $4500. The deal that fell through was for $3300. Of course, with no reserve, it may go for just a few hundred.

I'm moving across the country, can't take the bus, and could use the money (moving is expensive!) The buyer that disappeared left me in a bit of a tough spot, so I just have to get rid of it now.