Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1997 Thomas 38ft diesel bus for sale in KY

I have a thomas school bus with seats already pulled. Was an 84 passenger. It is a model with a good amount of headroom. I am 6'2" an can stand up in the middle without bumping my head. 150,000+ miles on a 5.9 cummins with the MT643 allison transmission auto 4 speed. front engine model. Tires aren't great but are holding up. Got a used battery in it that I got 3 months or so ago and is on a trickle charger. Starts every time. Previous owner replaced the smaller injection pump but does need two injectors replaced/rebuilt. A good bus project overall. I will also throw in 3 conversion books with the bus. Asking $3000 cash. You may text me before 9 pm at 270-438-9492. I am close to the Bowling Green area. Thank you in advance! Sorry couldn't figure out how to post a pic here.

The Radical Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:03 PM   #2

got any pictures?
novice69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Yes, I do have pictures. Couldn't figure out how to post them here. I will work on getting a link in here later today or maybe copy and paste. I am sorry for the absence of pics. Thanks for your patience.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

This is my Craigslist ad. I hope this helps for now. post id: 5376205883

1997 Thomas school bus (diesel)

http://images.craigslist.org/00m0m_4...8u_600x450.jpg
Old 12-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #5

thanks I appreciate that
novice69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Your welcome. Can post more pics later on Craigslist if I have any really interested prospects. Seems a school bus can be difficult to properly advertise to the right crowd.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

The bus is rust free and has a straight body. It was originally a Sumner County TN bus that was going to be used for a shuttle business that didn't launch, then sold to me. I have lost interest to proceed further.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I have shot some videos and am uploading them to a YouTube page just for the sale of this bus. The first video may be seen @ https://youtu.be/2_Hj0ekv92E Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
Skoolie

Any clue how much I would have to pay a mechanic to do the injectors?
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Not sure. Was going to do it myself. Anyone that wants to hire someone for a pre-purchase inspection is encouraged to do so. Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
If you're gonna hire it out, probably a couple hours labor plus the parts. Most HD shops are north of $90 an hour. I'd try and get em all tested and the bad ones rebuilt. You could test and rebuild the whole set for a few hundred. So a range between $200-600 depending on how you do it and who does it. Taking them off is an easy job--you'll want a puller/slide hammer for popping em loose.

What makes you suspect you have injector issues?
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I appreciate your input Charles m, and I shall explain. The previous owner had a few records and receipts. When I finally paid of and picked up my bus, he had misplaced them. I was not happy, but I also didn't think I would be reselling either. So, I didn't get the records I saw when I picked up the bus. Hard to believe, but that's how it went down. I was just happy to get a bus then. Now, one of those papers with the work for the "small" injection pump, mentioned a recommendation to replace two injectors. I am not a mechanic and don't claim to be one. But the previous owner pointed out that he thought it was the back two injectors. You can see soot buildup right around those two injectors while all the others look good. A tad smokey when you give it more fuel. Maybe the injectors are fine, all I have to go on is this. I am not a mechanic and I would encourage anyone interested to hire someone to come out and look at it. I don't have the bus insured and I am not going to drive it, nor put any more money into it. My price is open to discussion if I have anyone that wants to deal with me in person and actually look at the bus. Again, I thank all of you kind folks for your time and consideration!
Old 01-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I have been contacted with great questions about my bus. However, I was hoping someone close by may respond with inquiries. My personal opinion is that a long distance transaction is risky, I would seek additional professional opinions on such a purchase. With that being said, please do not contact with interest unless you are financially prepared for such an undertaking. I would prefer that interested parties be within a two hour or less drive. Murphy's Law is what kept me within those limits when shopping for a bus. I thank all of you here at skoolie.net again for your time and consideration!
Old 01-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Update: just noticed this earlier that the radiator is weeping somewhere and has drops on the bottom, but no puddles. I may have it reworked if it doesn't sell, but will be willing to discount for that. I need to call a shop I know on Monday to get a quote to take it in if needed. Thanks again.