Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

1997 Thomas conversion

I'm thinking about looking at this bus later in the week. Price looks high to me, but I am no expert. What do you all think.

I appreciate any feedback.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/rvs/2886124992.html

jvhooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: 1997 Thomas conversion

I don't think the price is high... try building one for the same cost.. It's a very good conversion,
Old 03-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Yeah, I'm with chev. That's a beautiful conversion. The under $10,000 dollars rule for a skoolie conversion is for something like my bus, and in that case the rule should be under $5,000.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I'm with chev and bus-bro, looks like a solid build to me. And for a fraction of the money. I'd take a run at it if I did not already have my own bus.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Looks like a great deal. Plus you can do something that none of us get to do- using it right away. Speaking for the 99%-it takes between 1+ 3 years to build a bus-and cost twice to three times what we thought it would-even doing all our own work + buying everything off CL.
You couldn't duplicate that bus for $14k.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

First let me thank you all for your comments. I have not looked at a bus conversion before and am a little overwhelmed.
I did look at the bus yesterday and wanted to update the Craigslist Post with some of my observations as well as attach some additional photos that I received from the owner.

The wood interior on the bus was done by a Mennonite from Pennsylvania prior to the current owner getting the bus. The craftsmanship is awesome. The wood paneling is in great shape.

Things kinda go downhill from there. Since the photos were posted with his CL ad, the owner has removed the dinette, drivers seat, Xantrax invertor, rear view mirrors and any WVO equipment on the bus. He showed in his posts 4 gray seats installed for driver, navigator, and 2 rear passengers behind the driver. He also showed photos of 4 black reclining seats, and a Flexsteel 6 way seat. I never saw the black seats or the Flexsteel seat. Currently the bus has no driver seat at all and the other 3 gray seats in place. The invertor has been removed, but will be included in the sale for "full asking price". The batteries are currently being charged by an external charger if at all. I'm not sure what else has been altered in the wiring due to the invertor being removed. He is willing to throw in the dinette parts if I am interested. The 75gal tanks for WVO is still in place but not hooked up at all, and any other WVO equipment that was installed at one time has been removed. I don't know what happened to the rear view mirrors shown in his ad, but he said that he has a set that are a huge upgrade, that would come for "full asking price".

The bus would not start, so I could not even hear it run. No power, and did not even try to turn over. This again concerns me about the wiring after the removal of the Xantrax convertor/charger. The bus was plugged in to shore power when I arrived.

I was a little disappointed to say the least.

Here is a link to additional photos that show the rust on the exterior of the bus. Most minor surface rust, but some will require panel replacement.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1044276734 ... HZj5j1kgE#

All this being said, I am still interested in the bus, at the right price. I just hate to pay $14,500 for some nice woodwork and alot of problems.

Let me know what you think. I appreciate all comments.
jvhooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

I thought something was fishy when I saw the before picture of the bus in the link in the c.l. ad wasn't even the same bus even though he said it was.
I also laugh at how people love to suggest how other people should spend their money.
Heh heh, Mennonite woodwork doesn't mean squat to me either. I do wish more women would dress like their women do though.
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

""I also laugh at how people love to suggest how other people should spend their money.""
What part of helping a newbie that asks"I appreciate any feedback." makes you laugh?

Dunno if hes pulling a bait + switch-or he copied an ad when he had it for sale ealier + things changed. An eybrow raiser...
It definatly gives you room to negotiate. You can tell him in order to give exactly what he asked, make it back to exactly how it was offered. If not, start knocking it down from there. Figure $1500 off for the lack of veggie system.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Well it sounds like the truth is coming out.

It might only be some nice woodwork in a metal shell kinda thing.

I'm a bit troubled about the lack of running engine along with no drivers seat. Sounds a bit shady now.

I'd still stay with it for a bit and get down to what he is really selling and if it runs and drives or not but the price is falling and might be falling fast... In my "guy from the internet" opinion only.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote