Old 09-11-2015, 01:31 AM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Charles, I apologize if you mentioned this but are both buses equipped with a wheelchair door/lift?
Emidd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
I appreciate the attention these post have gotten. I would strongly suggest anyone about to start a conversion to spend as much as possoble on a good platform. For every extra thousand you spend upfront towards a nicer bus, you save 3-4k in future maintenance.
For example, it would take more than $2,000 to make a $3,000 used bus as nice as a $5,000 used bus. That is a fact. If you care anything about long term economics or traveling without fear of costly breakdowns, modify your budget to bias initial bus cost higher than saving a few bucks. Dont compromise on things like getting the right powetrian and rust. Rust is literally the worst. It never stops. A rusty bus is never a good deal unless youre paying less than scrap price for it. And the wrong (cat, electronic, etc) engine could cost you thousands so fast your head will spin. Between me and my company, Ive owned over 3 dozen school buses and this is what I have deduced. Good deals exist but more and more people know what is good and those good buses almost never go for too cheap. You always seem to get what you pay for one way or another.
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:24 AM   #33
Bus Nut

And yes, the two 37' buses both have wc lifts.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:32 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Do you have financing available? I would. No seriously I am debating getting married just for the wedding gifts (both cash and easily liquidate-able) to buy it. As best as I can tell I don't think there is an organization that would give me a lone for a bus to turn into a motorhome. If it is still available when I have $6k I will be knocking on your door.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainInsaneo View Post
As best as I can tell I don't think there is an organization that would give me a lone for a bus to turn into a motorhome.
You're right, there probably isn't. That sounds like the domain of personal or signature loans. They might ask what you intend to do with the money just to be sure it's not startup capital for a drug running operation or other obviously illegal activity, but that kind of loan depends almost exclusively on your credit scores and not on what you'll do with the money. You could even get a personal loan just for a vacation (but that would be a bad idea). Could also get a cash-out loan against another vehicle you already own, if there's equity available there.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
I got $80 cash back from Discover when I bought my bus. Sorta made up for some of the auction fees, which weren't much.
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #37
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 78 passenger
Hey Charles, do you mind if I share your contact info with a few people? I'm in Denver as well and I own JeffCo #9880. After driving it to Burning Man and back, all my friends suddenly want a bus, lol!
Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Not at all!
My number is 3039311904
Old 09-12-2015, 02:44 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
I appreciate the attention these post have gotten. I would strongly suggest anyone about to start a conversion to spend as much as possoble on a good platform. For every extra thousand you spend upfront towards a nicer bus, you save 3-4k in future maintenance.
For example, it would take more than $2,000 to make a $3,000 used bus as nice as a $5,000 used bus. That is a fact. If you care anything about long term economics or traveling without fear of costly breakdowns, modify your budget to bias initial bus cost higher than saving a few bucks. Dont compromise on things like getting the right powetrian and rust. Rust is literally the worst. It never stops. A rusty bus is never a good deal unless youre paying less than scrap price for it. And the wrong (cat, electronic, etc) engine could cost you thousands so fast your head will spin. Between me and my company, Ive owned over 3 dozen school buses and this is what I have deduced. Good deals exist but more and more people know what is good and those good buses almost never go for too cheap. You always seem to get what you pay for one way or another.

Werd x 10!!!!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #40

Thumbs up VERY interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Not at all!
My number is 3039311904

Hey Charles,

I texted this number, let me know if you prefer email or to talk on the phone! Pretty please & thank you!

--Megan
BrenMegFurthermore is offline   Reply With Quote