Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

1998 E450 7.3 Diesel 7,000 Miles - Best Chassis/Engine Combo

Have you been looking for the perfect chassis to start your coach conversion? Here is your chance to own the best chassis/engine combos available. I have a pre-emissions 7.3L PowerStroke diesel with 7,000 original miles.

1998 Ford F450 RV
7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Diesel
Automatic Transmission
7,059 Original Miles

Build your dream home on wheels with the best engine and chassis you can start with. Whether you are building your dream RV today or next year, this is the engine & chassis combo you will want and probably not see again. The F450 chassis make the best RV's because of the GVWR being 15,500. This allows you to trailer a 10,000 trailer very comfortably without going over 26,001 combined gross vehicle weight.

In the cab space, everything works as it should. The AC blows ice cold and the radio blasts. There is a driver and passenger seat up front. The overall length of the RV is 28' bumper to bumper, the body is 22' and has a clearance of 12'2".

There are two separate doors on the body that do not connect. The front part of the RV body connects with the cab so you can walk back and forth freely from the cab to front part of the RV body. The rear door on the RV body is the back area. I would call this the garage or even toy hauling area. You can fit two motorcycles in here comfortably along with the equipment/tools you would need.

The RV has next to no rust, all the common spots to check are good. The rockers are solid. The doors, door bottoms, and corners are all solid. The frame and body mounts look great. And the floors are intact.

I have seen similar condition RV's with 7.3L motors and low miles sell for $13k-15k. I am asking $12,500 Or Best Offer The title is in my name and registered as an RV. We can go to a local notary to have it signed over. If you are out of state, the local notary has 30 day temporary license tags for you to drive home.

Give me a call or shoot me a text for more info or pictures 484-705-8429
Attached Thumbnails
IMG950487.jpg   IMG950480.jpg   IMG950482.jpg   IMG950477.jpg   IMG950489.jpg  

IMG950497.jpg   IMG950464001001001.jpg   IMG950509.jpg  

minisquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Are you the original owner and can verify it only has had 300 miles a year average on it? Awful lot of money for non converted box.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
where is it?

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
where is it?
Pennsylvania phone number.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #5

I am the second owner - I purchased it recently and put maybe 150 miles on it. It was a command unit for a municipality and was barely used. There is a compartment for a diesel generator with fuel lines that are tapped into fuel tank already. When you drive a 7.3L with 7,000 original miles and then drive a 7.3L with 150k miles, it is a huge difference and you can feel it.

I would be very apprehensive to purchase anything besides a 7.3L and to find a 7.3L with 7000 is very rare. In 2003, they introduced the Ford 6.0 which has all sorts of problems if you do not bulletproof the engines earlier enough. The Ford 6.4L's are ticking time bombs and cost $20k to replace. The 2011-2013 Ford 6.7L Diesel still had all sorts of problems until they worked out the kinks. The 7.3L are only becoming more and more desirable especially when they have this low of miles. Given the problems of almost every other diesel motor our there, the 7.3L holds value like no other. They are the most desirable and sought after motors so to be able to start your build with an incredible foundation/chassis is very important in the long run.

Another thing you have to take into consideration when planning your conversion is insurance. Most insurance companies, in majority of states will only offer a stated value policy for converted school buses. The other type of policy is an agreed value policy and insurance companies will not insure converted school buses typically with an agreed value policy. An agreed value policy is the only way to be completely indemnified when there is a claim/loss to your coach. Converting this RV rather than a school bus body would allow you to purchase an agreed value policy so you can be completely indemnified if there is a claim. Stated value means they will settle a claim on an actual cash value basis which is replacement cost less depreciation. Agreed value means, you agreed on a value and if there is a loss, they will pay you the value you agreed upon.

The RV is located in Summit Hill, PA 18250 and the phone number is 484-705-8429, call or text, contact is Joe
Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by minisquad View Post
I am the second owner - I purchased it recently and put maybe 150 miles on it. It was a command unit for a municipality and was barely used. There is a compartment for a diesel generator with fuel lines that are tapped into fuel tank already. When you drive a 7.3L with 7,000 original miles and then drive a 7.3L with 150k miles, it is a huge difference and you can feel it.

I would be very apprehensive to purchase anything besides a 7.3L and to find a 7.3L with 7000 is very rare. In 2003, they introduced the Ford 6.0 which has all sorts of problems if you do not bulletproof the engines earlier enough. The Ford 6.4L's are ticking time bombs and cost $20k to replace. The 2011-2013 Ford 6.7L Diesel still had all sorts of problems until they worked out the kinks. The 7.3L are only becoming more and more desirable especially when they have this low of miles. Given the problems of almost every other diesel motor our there, the 7.3L holds value like no other. They are the most desirable and sought after motors so to be able to start your build with an incredible foundation/chassis is very important in the long run.

Another thing you have to take into consideration when planning your conversion is insurance. Most insurance companies, in majority of states will only offer a stated value policy for converted school buses. The other type of policy is an agreed value policy and insurance companies will not insure converted school buses typically with an agreed value policy. An agreed value policy is the only way to be completely indemnified when there is a claim/loss to your coach. Converting this RV rather than a school bus body would allow you to purchase an agreed value policy so you can be completely indemnified if there is a claim. Stated value means they will settle a claim on an actual cash value basis which is replacement cost less depreciation. Agreed value means, you agreed on a value and if there is a loss, they will pay you the value you agreed upon.

The RV is located in Summit Hill, PA 18250 and the phone number is 484-705-8429, call or text, contact is Joe
No offense but you’re posting all this info to people that are literally experts in all aspects of conversions. What they really want to know are the specific details about the vehicle, lots of pictures and what needs repair on the truck. And above all be honest and transparent about everything. Vehicle looks like it has strong potential if it’s everything you say (a unicorn) and should sell quick to the right person looking for a solid, dependable vehicle to build out.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #7

Not everyone is an expert, especially when it is your first build. I see many people buying 2008 Int'l DT466 bus and saying "oh its a DT466", yes a MaxxForce MFDT466, not a pre emissions DT466.

There are two separate areas in the RV. The picture looking in through the doorway with the step is the very back compartment. You can call this the garage area and is the very rear door on the passenger side. My first thought was to build it out as a garage area for a couple enduros and tools. I am not sure if the wall that separates that back area to the main area can be removed.

The driver and passenger seats in the cab area connects to the main area of the RV and you can also use the side door to access this part. It has a small kitchenette area, some seating at a table, and desks along the walls with cabinets above. If that is how you want to keep it, that works but the area could be completely gutted just like a bus would and built out how you like.

It does have some quirks like the side RV doors do not open from the outside, they automatically lock and can only be opened with a key or from the inside. It was outfitted with lights and antenna's so there are some holes that need to be patched and incidentals like that. There are impressions that remained on the paint from the lettering and some of the paint was taken off with the lettering.

I had a safety inspection done and the mechanic looked over the brakes, front end, etc and said it all looked good. When you come to drive it, you will feel how tight it is. As far as what it needs - it would probably need to be painted and the interior gutted and built out. I am not sure of the particulars like water tank size stuff like that.

For additional photos or videos, call or text Joe 484-705-8429
Old 05-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran/Wolfington
Chassis: 3800
Engine: International DT466E 190HP variant
Rated Cap: 72 pax 29500 GVWR
Salesman jargon

Quote:

The 7.3 Powerstroke is a great motor, not the most sought after though. Most people here are looking for pre-2004 diesel buses so you don’t have to explain why yours is “the best”. Be honest and transparent as was said. People here want buses because of their steel construction which is sturdier and more durable that what this RV is made of. Sticks and staples as they say. You’d have better luck on a FB group page. Not many people will pay $12k for a full size bus with a big Cummins or high power DT 466 and overdrive trans. Best of luck selling.
WARGEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

no offense OP... but sticks and staples + an overclocked fordified t444e with a less desirable trans than the very - highly - common t444 + at545 "base" international bus drivetrain … I mean c'mon dude. I get advertising for a sale but man you didn't pull this one off bro.

Also, since no one else has brought it up - the 7.3PSD is notably known as being less reliable (to the tune of around 150k miles b50 lifespan) than the t444e - so your 7k powerstroke is just a tad bit more used than the 150k t444e busses that are everywhere.

also, that auto trans is an nv3500 correct? it won't make it to a quarter mil - almost guaranteed. if it's something better, please do put that in the ad - I will stand corrected. those were made to spin inside pickup trucks that only tow real weight once and a while - primarily functioning as a daily driver.

just to compare - I can buy the bus I've got 5 times, with a better trans - and engine - and fuel all 5 busses east to west coast for your asking price.

or I can buy the bus I bought, convert it, fuel it for a year, maintain + repair as needed (by my last years maint/repair/fuel costs), AND buy a chunk of land in the middle of no where to park it on - for your asking cost.

best of luck with your sale man, if it was me i'd take it to craigslist.
superbusWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I am the second owner - I purchased it recently and put maybe 150 miles on it....

…. the 7.3L holds value like no other. They are the most desirable and sought after motors ...

1st) so, your flipping it? k - good to know bud.

2nd) uh except for international (vs. ford-ified) 7.3s, DT466's, cummins 8.3's .. so 75% of the main diesel bus engine options …

dude. mistruths/concealments/intentional ommissions are poor salesmen in the long run.

I do honestly wish you the best.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Most sought after motors.......?

There must be something wrong with me. I had plenty of opportunities to buy T444 equipped buses and I let them all go and bought a Cummins 8.3 w/ MD-3060.

I'll learn someday.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Most sought after motors.......?

There must be something wrong with me. I had plenty of opportunities to buy T444 equipped buses and I let them all go and bought a Cummins 8.3 w/ MD-3060.

I'll learn someday.
That'll teach you,
Old 05-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
That'll teach you,
Shame on me..... I should have snagged the 175hp T444 and AT-545 with 5.29 rear gears.....

What was I thinking! Now I am stuck with extra horsepower, torque, gears, lockup and overdrive

I should just sell my bus and quit.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Shame on me..... I should have snagged the 175hp T444 and AT-545 with 5.29 rear gears.....

What was I thinking! Now I am stuck with extra horsepower, torque, gears, lockup and overdrive

I should just sell my bus and quit.
Sounds like a good highway long haul drivetrain.......... for one trip.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

hey hey now man,

that's a ford PSD w/ an nv3500

legitimately a worse option than a 444 + 545 combo

and, now maybe it's just cause I love my bus, but I bet I climb logging roads better than you bro (though that's probably the only thing lol

ah wait, that 8.3 will dig into sand faster than me! yes that 2 things - so that only leaves what … 99% of what 90% of skoolie owners do that yours is better at?
Old 05-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Sounds like a good highway long haul drivetrain.......... for one trip.
If that far........

There is a reason that I spent well over a year looking

8.3 & 3060 was what I thought would serve me best and I waited well over a year looking daily at the auction and classified sites till I found what I wanted.

180k miles and storage bays for $3850.
Old 05-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know plenty of the ford 7.3's still running 200-300k miles.. its the 20 somethings that install bullydog tuners and program up a 250 HP engine to be 350 without changingthe hardware that break em at 150k...

Navistar never made them to run any hotter than 250 HP..

they are probably the most desirable of powerstroke engines.. well the latest Gen 6.7 is a nice engine but still too new to be seen on the used bus market much.. when put next to the 6.0 and 6.4 the 7.3 looks like a knioght in shining armor..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
If that far........

There is a reason that I spent well over a year looking

8.3 & 3060 was what I thought would serve me best and I waited well over a year looking daily at the auction and classified sites till I found what I wanted.

180k miles and storage bays for $3850.
I might have waited for an 8.3 in mine if they came in a FE. I'm completely satisfied with my Dt466/3060, $3500
Old 05-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

yeah I gotta say I don't know if i'd be happy without glow plugs, this bus I have now has 2x -60 and 4x -40 degree starts to it's name so far - was quite a bit of glowing ahead of time lol...

i'd obv prefer a Dt with an 2/3000 series trans, MD or whatnot but i'm not complaining - I got no sticks, and I got no staples folks
Old 05-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbusWI View Post
yeah I gotta say I don't know if i'd be happy without glow plugs, this bus I have now has 2x -60 and 4x -40 degree starts to it's name so far - was quite a bit of glowing ahead of time lol...

i'd obv prefer a Dt with an 2/3000 series trans, MD or whatnot but i'm not complaining - I got no sticks, and I got no staples folks
and before you ask, yes that was running a 1:1 ratio diesel to howells anti-gel lol