Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
1999 Blue Bird

I have a 1999 Blue Bird for sale, it is in Great Bend KS. We have been working on this bus for about a year but have found another project and only have time and space for one. The bus has the cat 3126 and Allison 545 with 121,000 miles on it.

Things that are done!
All windows removed and replaced with steel that was solid riveted back into place.

RV windows framed in 2x2 steel, these were intstalled with butyl tape and are screwed Into the 2x2 frame.

RV door installed with an oversized camper window. Door was taken apart and frame replaced with thicker lumber to support the heavier window. The outside sheeting was replaced with metal.

Floor stripped to bare metal and then holes were patched. Very little rust anywhere on this bus! The subfloor is installed (3/4" t&g) over 1" of insulation rated at r6. I have details and pictures of install

The bottom step was removed and we moved all the remaining steps out one toward the door, an electric bottom step that comes out was installed underneath...... this allows a small bench seat to be installed at the front of the bus which we have out now but will just need bolted in. I have a lot more details and pictures of all this.....

Foam insulation was sprayed into the top of the bus.

Wiring for lights, fans and air conditioners was secured to the roof before the insulation went up. I have drawings of all this wiring and it is labeled

There are places cut out behind the rear wheels for 8' toolboxes, they are not installed because they need paint but will go with the bus. There are bolts mounted under the floor on angle iron that hold them up that match holes in the top of the tool boxes.

On the back passenger side there is a fold out bed that is framed in 2x2 steel. It came of a relatively new camper and all the canvas/mattress is in great shape it was probably only used a couple times. All associated parts will come with the bus.

All the bus light wiring was replaced going to the back with shielded pairs instead of the single insulated wires that are factory.

Bus condition:

Tires have great tread on them and we're replaced recently. The brakes work well and the engine starts right up and runs great. This bus goes 65 down the highway nice and straight like you would expect with the low mileage. I drove it home from Tulsa OK just out of service about a year ago with zero problems and start and move the bus occasionally. It has two new batteries.

I am asking $5,700 but it is negotiable I just added up all the materials that are in the bus and a little something for my effort so I won't sell for half of the asking price please PM me here if your interested. I have roof top AC units and more RV windows that can be negotiated if you are looking for those items and am happy to answer questions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1760.jpg   IMG_2020.jpg   IMG_2619.jpg   IMG_2633.jpg   IMG_2571.jpg  

IMG_2567.jpg  

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Just my .02... It sounds like a heck of a deal for all the hard work already done!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Skoolie

More pictures?

Wondering if you can send some more pictures when you get a chance? Wanting to see a close up of how the windows were closed up and also of what's going on in the back passenger side? Seems like that is covering up where the ramp was?

Thanks Tyler

Tstege83@gmail.com
Tstege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Skoolie

Here are more photos of the window installation and the bed that will fold out of the back. There was nothin on the back right corner of the bus like a ramp I cut the hole out with a plasma and welded a frame that fit the fold out bed from the camper. I included a photo of the camper I pulled the bed out of to give you an idea of what it will look like set up on the bus
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2037.jpg   IMG_2035.jpg   IMG_1735.jpg   IMG_1748.jpg   IMG_1706.jpg  

Old 08-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
Just my .02... It sounds like a heck of a deal for all the hard work already done!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
It was a really tough decision to put this bus up for sale but hope to find someone here who can finish where we left off and enjoy it. I have been referencing this site pretty much since the beginning of the build.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
Location?

Where are you and the bus located? Nice work btw.
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
Skoolie

We are in Great Bend Kansas
Old 08-07-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: '91
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 71
Lol-I read the very first line of your post again. I'm a Baddi from Cincinnati. Cheers
Pygmy Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #9
Skoolie

No problem it was a lengthy post, thank you for the interest.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #10
Skoolie

More pictures of door and step

I realized I didn't have any good pictures of the step which is fairly uncommon on skoolies I'm not sure I have seen one... the pictures are during installation, it is now wired onto a three way (hand, off, auto) switch by the driver. In hand there is another switch that you can manually move the step In and out with When switched to auto it can run through a magnet switch on the door so it folds out when the door is opened. We haven't gotten the auto part wired in yet however. I was just happy when I got this done so I could stop climbing in and out of the bus and moved on to the flooring.

There is also a picture of the bench seat it is out of a 2016 Mercedes passenger van we went with this seat because the safety belts are built in and it was the perfect width for the space. It is big enough to sit on for a few hours but small enough that it isn't in the way. It is mounted on a set of sliders so the driver can adjust the seating position. This will also make getting in and out of the seat much easier so a person can slide the seat back instead of crawling across.

The ceiling hieght is 6'1" with the subfloor and insulation installed and is 37 feet from bumper to bumper.

This would be a great place to start if you want to skip some of the work up front ang get straight to the fun part. The window placement should allow some flexibility in your layout and all the designs that I have will go with the bus if you Are interested.

I am ready to start my next build and would like to see this bus go somewhere that it will be put to use. Shoot me a reasonable offer and let's see if we can work something out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2565.jpg   IMG_2299.jpg   IMG_2188.jpg   IMG_2189.jpg   IMG_2123.jpg  

Old 08-12-2017, 04:13 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Will it make it to Texas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I realized I didn't have any good pictures of the step which is fairly uncommon on skoolies I'm not sure I have seen one... the pictures are during installation, it is now wired onto a three way (hand, off, auto) switch by the driver. In hand there is another switch that you can manually move the step In and out with When switched to auto it can run through a magnet switch on the door so it folds out when the door is opened. We haven't gotten the auto part wired in yet however. I was just happy when I got this done so I could stop climbing in and out of the bus and moved on to the flooring.

There is also a picture of the bench seat it is out of a 2016 Mercedes passenger van we went with this seat because the safety belts are built in and it was the perfect width for the space. It is big enough to sit on for a few hours but small enough that it isn't in the way. It is mounted on a set of sliders so the driver can adjust the seating position. This will also make getting in and out of the seat much easier so a person can slide the seat back instead of crawling across.

The ceiling hieght is 6'1" with the subfloor and insulation installed and is 37 feet from bumper to bumper.

This would be a great place to start if you want to skip some of the work up front ang get straight to the fun part. The window placement should allow some flexibility in your layout and all the designs that I have will go with the bus if you Are interested.

I am ready to start my next build and would like to see this bus go somewhere that it will be put to use. Shoot me a reasonable offer and let's see if we can work something out.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #12
Skoolie

I drove it from Tulsa to Great Bend Kansas with no problems. It goes 65! I would drive it into Texas but can't guarantee anything ��
Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #13
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Wow, you are creative with that camper pop-out.

Your price is more than fair. reason people balk is small brains cannot see past the funky paint job. Earl Scheib and it will look awesome.

Other thing is : if he is selling, must be something wrong with it.... No, priorities change.

Good luck, nice bus.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

I am saving up for a bus. This is just what I am looking for. Just dont have that much yet. If it is still there in a couple months I will grab it. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
I am saving up for a bus. This is just what I am looking for. Just dont have that much yet. If it is still there in a couple months I will grab it. Thanks.
I will consider trades I would like to get a little enduro 400cc ideally or a highway speed scooter. I really like the Honda helix but something along those lines would work for me. Also if you have a reasonable offer PM me and we can talk about it.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #16
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Wow, you are creative with that camper pop-out.

Your price is more than fair. reason people balk is small brains cannot see past the funky paint job. Earl Scheib and it will look awesome.

Other thing is : if he is selling, must be something wrong with it.... No, priorities change.

Good luck, nice bus.
Thank you very much, getting that to fit in the bus and build a substantial frame around it took some time to work out. I debated installing it since the canvas will make the bus harder to control the inside temperature but decided that if it was really hot or cold it could just be left up it takes up almost no interior space so there is room for another bed in the back so it will be the "spare" room lol. This photo shows what it will look like set up on the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2665.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I am sitting on 3,000 rite now. And in a couple months I should have 5,000. And I will keep an eye on your bus. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #18
Skoolie

Completed items

The bus is still for sale, I do have a few more items completed that needed done before the bus could be driven. After posting originally I realized some items would need completed before the bus could go on a road trip.

All the clearance lights have been replaced with LED's they turned out great and are a big improvement over the factory clearance lights. I would suggest doing this on any conversion! It would be better to do this before putting the ceiling up so the holes from the old lights could be welded shut.

The front seat has been mounted into place and is ready to roll. The seat is mounted on sliders and works like it was factory built. The front door/seat area is my favorite part of the bus. Very unique and functional.

I went ahead and primed the toolboxes that go behind the rear wheels and they are bolted into place. They will need to go with the bus and it wouldn't be safe to just throw them in the back and head down the highway.

I will post new pictures tonight. The asking price has been lowered to 5,500 and I would take 500 off of this price with a different set of tires. They aren't as good but just came out of service one year ago they would need replaced but will get you home and be fine during conversion and trips close by but I don't think I would venture to many times across country with them. I have had some questions multiple times so will post them here.

The head room in the bus is a little over 6' with the sub floor installed. A roof raise would still be possible but some rework would have to be done. I am short and think this would make a great bus for someone my height but if your 6'2" and don't want to bend over a roof raise would be needed.

I would be interested in trades but please no vehicles other than enduros or scooters I could use one of those!

I feel that some folks think the only reason I would be parting with a bus I had so much work in is a mechanical issue, this is not the case in fact I would deliver this bus to you with a deposit and within reason 4 hours from me max. This bus needs to find a new home so feel free to contact me with reasonable offers/trades worst I can say is no.

Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
Skoolie

Pictures

Here are the pictures of the bus as it sits today with some detailed ones of the things that I have completed since the original post.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2694.jpg   IMG_2696.jpg   IMG_2699.jpg   IMG_2701.jpg   IMG_2697.jpg  

IMG_2703.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #20
Skoolie

Price Reduction

Price for the bus reduced to $5,000