Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
1999 Intl. 3800 6 window School Bus- Mechanics Special!

Hi Everyone!

Unfortunately my time with my bus is coming to an end, it needs some mechanical work that I can't invest in at the moment.

The bus:
1999 International 3800l
Genesis 7.3L DT444E
Allison Transmission
Hydraulic Brakes
~140,000 miles
Tires are good, new caps on back left 2
24' long nose to bumper
17' long from back of drivers chair to back door

Conversion:
I basically just got done gutting the whole bus. Floors, Ceiling, and walls all removed with the exception of the drivers area. Back heaters have been removed (but are still available), tubes rerouted behind the drivers chair, and coolant replaced. There are roof leaks that can easily be addressed once we get a dry day or two in the PNW. I have a tarp if you want it!

The Engine Problems:
We drove the bus out from Montana and we were aware that there was an injector or two that needed to be replaced. Once we got to Portland, we took it to a mechanic to get all fluids changed. The mechanic said that it would need a few injectors but would be good to drive to Willamina. We drove down, parked and I worked on the bus for a few months.
When I went to move the bus to Portland, it turned over just fine, and when I tried to drive it, it was stuck in safe driving mode. I slowly made my way to the mechanic in town, and he diagnosed bad injectors and turbo.

At this point I can't put the time and money into the bus that it needs. Its an awesome little bus- great size for a conversion, and fun to drive. The body, transmission, tires, and breaks are all in great shape. Its basically ready for you to take and build into a dream little skoolie!
Asking 2,000 OBO. Please PM if you're interested or have further questions!

Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1210.jpg   00808_kVDLLNx3yja_600x450.jpg   00z0z_7wlHw0lqyfy_600x450.jpg   01212_9Sc34mfwDfT_600x450.jpg   00909_bv3PpMGABRj_600x450.jpg  

00q0q_a9f672pPcUw_600x450.jpg  

natapotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Sorry to hear that the diagnostics was too much bad news. I hope "Rhododendron" AKA Rhodie finds a new home where she can blossom. Injectors aren't too complicated of a job and I would even question if the turbo was also giving you problems. What did the mechanic quote you?

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #3
Almost There

Engine: 2000 International 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Was also wondering what you were quoted to fix?
Thank so much!
And sorry about that!
Magden5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
That bus is well worth fixing. Injectors are easy to change on that model, but expensive.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
That bus is well worth fixing. Injectors are easy to change on that model, but expensive.
Johnny- I totally agree! It's a beauty and very fix able- just too expensive for me at the moment. Just trying to find a new owner that can make it happen!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magden5 View Post
Was also wondering what you were quoted to fix?
Thank so much!
And sorry about that!
The mechanic in Willamina (a remote town in Oregon) quoted me ~6,500 for parts, shipping, labor. I have my own thoughts about this, and would be willing to share along with a parts list if you are seriously interested!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
Sorry to hear that the diagnostics was too much bad news. I hope "Rhododendron" AKA Rhodie finds a new home where she can blossom. Injectors aren't too complicated of a job and I would even question if the turbo was also giving you problems. What did the mechanic quote you?
Rovobay- Thank you! its a bummer to hear bad news but I'm trying to keep my chin up and get everything taken care of. I'm not giving up as far as Rhodie is concerned, just taking a new approach. See above for quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what is "safe driving mode". and any idea how the mechanic diagmosed the injectors? did he run the computer on them? Buzz-test them? electrically test the harness connections and resistance static on them? and the turbo? is it leaking? end play too large?

"safe driving mode" makes me wonder if the EBPV is stuckl closed on it....

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what is "safe driving mode". and any idea how the mechanic diagmosed the injectors? did he run the computer on them? Buzz-test them? electrically test the harness connections and resistance static on them? and the turbo? is it leaking? end play too large?

-Christopher
Natapotts... if there is anything you do listen to cadillackid. the nicest super reliable guy here. $6500 seems crazy steep. I hate to think that he saw a vulnerable person (you) and tried to take you to the cleaners. I think fuel injectors can be had for $200 each. no sure what you paid for the bus but don't want you to take a loss on something that could be an easy (ish) fix.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #10
Bus Geek

other thing I should mention is if I'd ever get off my &^$&^#$ ands put the brand new Hotrod injectors in my 444E I'll have a set of 8 that pretty much work.. (one of them is a tad lazy on cold start but smooths out after a minute or two).. I should send them back for a core refund, however if someone has a couple that are truly trashed, then I can send those back instead, and they can have a copuple of the ones that work.. they do have 190,000 miles on them now but they fire and dont cause a "limp mode"... I never knew the 444E had limp other than de-rate on over-temp
-Christopher
Old 04-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
I have to agree with c-kid on this. Do you have a "Diagnostic" button on your dash? Maybe we can figure out the real problem.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:32 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

-Christopher
I honestly have no idea how he diagnosed it. It took over a month to get a diagnosis/quote...
Old 04-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Not sure what a "diagnostic" button is on the dash- I'm afraid its not the most sophisticated setup. There's a "check engine" light that is on- goes off and on.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

I totally agree with you. Selling the bus and taking a loss is by far not my first choice, especially because I just got done with the demo. I'm trying to keep my opinions out of this- but I agree with you about "the cleaners". I'm having a hard time finding any other mechanic that is willing to take the job on. It doesn't help that the bus is in a remote town that doesn't have many mechanics nearby and a tow is obviously expensive. If I had the skills/shop I would do the work myself and save myself a significant chunk of money.

That being said- still looking for someone who wants to take it on! Its really a great little bus. My loss is your gain.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
other thing I should mention is if I'd ever get off my &^$&^#$ ands put the brand new Hotrod injectors in my 444E I'll have a set of 8 that pretty much work.. (one of them is a tad lazy on cold start but smooths out after a minute or two).. I should send them back for a core refund, however if someone has a couple that are truly trashed, then I can send those back instead, and they can have a copuple of the ones that work.. they do have 190,000 miles on them now but they fire and dont cause a "limp mode"... I never knew the 444E had limp other than de-rate on over-temp
-Christopher
Ah! I would take you up on that offer but I can't pull them and replace them myself- and I don't have a shop or anywhere to do the work. Im having a hard time finding a mechanic that is willing to work with me on this.

To describe the "limp mode", it wouldn't move out of first gear. Once RPM's go up there seemed to be little response to the throttle. Lots of flashing on and off check engine lights. The mechanic described it as "safe driving mode" with little to no engine oil pressure.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:24 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Where r you
Outlawfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawfarmer View Post
Where r you
Hi Outlaw farmer, I'm in Oregon. Sorry I seemed to have left that out!
Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by natapotts View Post
Hi Outlaw farmer, I'm in Oregon. Sorry I seemed to have left that out!
Both of you should go to the UserCP in the upper left and fill out your profiles so we know a bit about you. Makes answering your questions easier.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #19
Bus Geek

little to no engine oil pressure! if your gauges were not lying to you then there is a couple things..

1. - the alarm lights flash because you are destroying your engine bearings driving with no oil pressure..(assuming it really has next to no oil pressure for real)

2. thats a HEUI engine, it uses engine oil as hydraulic fluid to actuate the injectors so if your engine oil pressure is low it will make the injectors operate terribly

3. if its simply a bad oil pressure sender, the computer will throw alarms and de-rate, but also will limit the amount of oil that the HEUI system uses to tyr and keep the emgine running rather than stalling out..

seems like the first order of business is to find out if you really have any oil pressure or not.. and if you dont, why?

is your oil diluted,over full and very thin? ie does it smell like fuel? is it low or empty?

-Christopher
Old 04-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Both of you should go to the UserCP in the upper left and fill out your profiles so we know a bit about you. Makes answering your questions easier.
Good point!! I'm new to forums. I'll be sure to do that