Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2 - 1976 Crown School Buses for sale

Starting 11/6 there will be 2 - 1976 Crown's for sale on eBay. 671 Detroit diesel, 5 sp man transmission. Stored inside a bus garage, have not been started for two year due to dead batteries. Client doesn't want to spend $ to replace batteries so you will need to bring/provide your own. Cosmetic condition is good, seats and tires in good condition. Should start up according to mechanics. One bus has 445K mi , the other has 549K mi. Main reason for selling is not California emissions compliant. Low starting prices as well.

Located in Costa Mesa, CA .

Me: formerly worked for Interschola, California's largest school district surplus vendor until it belly up last year. I have retained several OC clients and occasionally have school buses for sale....better to repurpose than to send to scrap yard or trade in for NG buses.

Ask questions here or join us for an inspection on 11/12....address and directions will be provided if you send me a request. Ed Code requires us to auction the vehicle so we cannot accept private offers.

We also will have two Thomas Transit (Charter) buses for sale at the same location, one of which has very expensive CARB particulate filters installed.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Can you post pics of the buses you are listing so I can ogle them before the auction?

Posting to photobucket is best, the picture hosting on the forum is hit or miss.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Traveling right now. Can't post pics.

Sorry!
schooldistrictauct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Auctions are live right now.

No reserve .

SDA
schooldistrictauct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
linkity links

1976 Crown School Bus Diesel 671 Detroit Diesel 5 SP Manual 549355 MI 4 | eBay

1976 Crown School Bus 671 Detroit Diesel 5 SP Manual Trans 445 834 MI 1 | eBay
Old 11-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd take one at the current price. But getting it to FL would be pricey and/or a real ordeal.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I'd hurry if anyone wants these because I guarantee you the Crown nuts will scoop these buses and mark them up $10K
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:23 PM   #8
Bus Geek

The non-turbo detroits have to be maybe the least desirable engines for these, but yeah.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I want one, 671 Detroit is a great engine
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

It's more fun when you start the bidding low isn't it? Especially NO RESERVE auctions with no buyer's premiums. The way it should be!
Old 11-14-2015, 12:38 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Both Crown's have been sold. Both fired up perfectly when new batteries were installed. They were beauties, always stored inside , and both are going to a great new home.

Will have more buses in a few weeks. Will notify the board right before they go up at auction.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:10 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Congrats!

As a potential buyer, may I suggest something?

"running condition unknown, SHOULD start" is sort of scary to most folks.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

EastCoast CB...I hear ya....but I'm not laying out $400 for batteries when I know that Crown buyers will be coming to inspections with their own batteries...sort of weeds out the serious buyers from the pretenders imo., cause I know the Crown guys will drive hundreds of miles or fly in for any chance to locate one. Not surprised that everybody knew everybody. Small, tightknit community.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooldistrictauct View Post
EastCoast CB...I hear ya....but I'm not laying out $400 for batteries when I know that Crown buyers will be coming to inspections with their own batteries...sort of weeds out the serious buyers from the pretenders imo., cause I know the Crown guys will drive hundreds of miles or fly in for any chance to locate one. Not surprised that everybody knew everybody. Small, tightknit community.
No that is just being a cheap and lazy seller, you never started it up? I wouldn't have bid half of what I would have, with "should start?" vs starts and runs. I know it would have made at least its $400 back.

Should start = low ball express.
If you don't know if it starts what else is wrong with it. In fact it weeds out the serious buyers with serious cash looking for a serious bus and leaves only rubes (optimistic people who done know better that you are taking advantage of) and deal hunters (opportunistic people looking to take advantage of you).

Those busses in their cosmetic condition should have sold for about another $2-3k over what they closed and I am guessing that $400 of new batteries with the words runs and starts would have got it for you. I also bet that if you were buying several batteries at the same time you would get a much better deal. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I knew the buses would start up considering this client's history. I had seen the buses in action before way prior to their sale. The fact that I told the truth up front about the batteries is considered full disclosure.

Considering that some on this board in private messages offered me $2000 LESS than what they sold for after knowing the buses started up and ran, I would consider this sale a success. It's always easy to armchair quarterback after the fact. I know of the games played on message boards on how buses aren't worth what the seller thinks and then after the auction closes posters come out and second guess everybody. The big guys were there and they decided this is what the buses were worth.

If a buyer wants to make more money flipping them because he has the connections that is his advantage.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:09 PM   #16

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
The fact that I told the truth up front about the batteries is considered full disclosure.
Sounds like interscrewyou mumbo jumbo. Interscola has burned me to the tune of thousands of dollars. What you are doing is representing the seller for money. You are a commercial for profit enterprise. That is against forum rules.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Old 11-15-2015, 01:25 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Interesting.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

<Sounds like interscrewyou mumbo jumbo. Interscola has burned me to the tune of thousands of dollars. What you are doing is representing the seller for money. You are a commercial for profit enterprise. That is against forum rules. >

Sorry you feel that way. Whatever happened in the past with Interschola is in the past. I know they were very fair when it came to resolving problems. Unless you were being a total jerk about it. If my posting is bothering site administrators they could have stopped it after my first post. Clearly stated I was an auction company. In the overall scheme of things how is that different from guys who buy from auction companies and then sell them on this site for profit?

Good luck to you and I hope you can let go of the past.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Sounds like interscrewyou mumbo jumbo. Interscola has burned me to the tune of thousands of dollars. What you are doing is representing the seller for money. You are a commercial for profit enterprise. That is against forum rules.

Sorry you feel that way. Whatever happened in the past with Interschola is in the past. I know they were very fair when it came to resolving problems. Unless you were being a total jerk about it. If my posting is bothering site administrators they could have stopped it after my first post. Clearly stated I was an auction company. In the overall scheme of things how is that different from guys who buy from auction companies and then sell them on this site for profit?

Good luck to you and I hope you can let go of the past.
Good response, well written.

People on this site need to stop their thinking everything is worth nothing crap. It makes me sick every time I see them trying to low ball someones bus price, trying to get the bus for thousands less than the listing. Total crap.

I fully agree with you on Not replacing the battery's. It would have been a waste of your money and time. Any serious buyer with a brain in their head would bring battery's, and know how to look the bus over for any other mechanical issues.

If a buyer can't get passed little things like that, they are a waste of time.

I don't even like Crown buses, but I must say, those were some nice clean units. They were even stored in doors. Unreal.

Thank you for reaching out to this community and trying to offer them some nice buses.
However, what you will find is a bunch of members here want everything for nothing, and will stop at nothing to get their way.

There is no "Like" or Thank You button on this site.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crown thomas