Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
2003 International Dt466e allison md3060

Looking at a bus down in Texas(I'm in iowa), says it has 162k miles. From the pictures of the exterior and video the seller took of the underside(I requested the video) there seems to be very minimal rust. Asking price is $3,500. Diesel with new batteries, and tires look good. Any reason I shouldn't hop down there and check it out and possibly drive back?
Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
johnbloem1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Montana/Texas
Posts: 450
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
That us a very desirable setup... I'd jump on it!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 16,871
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
Looking at a bus down in Texas(I'm in iowa), says it has 162k miles. From the pictures of the exterior and video the seller took of the underside(I requested the video) there seems to be very minimal rust. Asking price is $3,500. Diesel with new batteries, and tires look good. Any reason I shouldn't hop down there and check it out and possibly drive back?
I'd avoid Cleveland ISD in Texas. They sold me a problem bus and they knew it. Texas is huge but I figured I'd warn against Cleveland buses.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #4
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd avoid Cleveland ISD in Texas. They sold me a problem bus and they knew it. Texas is huge but I figured I'd warn against Cleveland buses.
The seller is around China Springs, about a 3 hr drive from Cleveland. Think I'll have any issues?
Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 16,871
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
The seller is around China Springs, about a 3 hr drive from Cleveland. Think I'll have any issues?
Make sure the seller didn't get it in Cleveland!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
ermracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Unity, NH
Posts: 171
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Rated Cap: 29,000
Sounds like a good setup (not that I'm biased or anything....) It would be worthwhile checking the rear end ratio and ask if the speed limiter can be turned off (assuming it's set) before heading back. When we asked for a video of our bus before buying it, our dealer said to focus on any smoke coming out of the down pipe on the passenger side of the engine, which would indicate engine wear. If the video you received doesn't show that, it might be worth asking for another one.
__________________
Dave
ermracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #7
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 16,871
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermracing View Post
Sounds like a good setup (not that I'm biased or anything....) It would be worthwhile checking the rear end ratio and ask if the speed limiter can be turned off (assuming it's set) before heading back. When we asked for a video of our bus before buying it, our dealer said to focus on any smoke coming out of the down pipe on the passenger side of the engine, which would indicate engine wear. If the video you received doesn't show that, it might be worth asking for another one.
YEah, the guys in Cleveland purposely set my max mph to 50. My buddy drove it all the way back to central FL at 50.
Always ask about gearing and top speed!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 3,819
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am optimistic about the gearing. All of the MD3060 equipped buses that I have looked at had reasonable gearing. Often spec'd as activity buses intended for longer trips.

Also, with the MD3060 in an International, you may have good luck getting 6th gear unlocked.

An awesome drive train.
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #9
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 4,693
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Sounds the same as my 99. Didn't have any speed governors or speed limiters. Mine would do 85mph in 5th and more if I wanted. You "might" get lucky and be able to open 6th gear. Allison says my 99 is too old to open, don't know what their cutoff year is.
I paid $3500 for mine and would gladly pay that for an equivalent 03 model.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.