Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2003 Short Bus For Sale! $26,000 OBO

We got this little bus two years ago and put about a year and a lot of love into turning her into a home! Since February she's been our permanent home for both long-term travel and stationary living, as well as a commuter for a bit. In June we had our mechanic preemptively take care of anything that might be an issue down the road. She runs perfectly.

Here are the details:
-Legendary Ford 7.3 diesel
-Consistently gets between 11 and 13 mpg regardless of conditions
-135k miles (bought as school bus at 119k)
-Midbus chassis
-20.5' bumper to bumper
-Complete and detailed service records from the last two years
-~6'1" headroom (I'm 6' and stand comfortably with shoes on)
-Four burner propane stove and oven
-Cedar tongue and groove ceiling.
-Engineered bamboo flooring.
-Backup camera installed in dash.
-I turned the original double door into a single front door with a traditional locking door knob.
-Ten-speed quiet and powerful reversing Maxxair fan with cedar trim.
-Two built in LED lamps provide very soft warm light.
-Two slide out desks/counter top extensions. One on the passenger's side next to the front door and one on the driver's side next to the bed (used as a nightstand).
-Book/miscellaneous shelves have hinged stopper slats which are held in place with bolt locks.
-The passenger side "captain's chair" swivels, reclines, and rolls fore and aft, making it a really cozy recliner nook. It has a built in seat belt and is bolted to the frame in four places.
-The fridge runs on AC, DC, and propane. We run it on propane and have found it to be efficient.
-included queen spring mattress folds up into a super comfy couch.
-The bed has a seatbelt running up through its center to the driver's side edge. This seatbelt can comfortably span three passengers and is bolted to the frame.
-Shade cloth awning is fairly easily rolled out from the roof for additional protection from midday sun.
-Storage is divided into various bins that can be slid/rolled out from either the outside doors or from the inside via the under-bed door.
-Rear and wheelchair doors can be locked from the inside, and under-bed storage can also be padlocked for additional security.
-Secret compartment over wheel well fits laptops and valuables just in case
-Curtains along sliding bus windows tuck behind furniture and appliances when not in use. They can be hung at half-mast or all the way up.
-Curtains behind bed and on wheelchair door are magnetic for easy raising and lowering.
-All of the curtains are three-fold. The outer fabric is black which gives the tinted windows a discreet limousine tint appearance from the outside when they're up. The middle piece is blackout fabric for light blocking, and the inside is an off-white fabric.
-The curtains are quite effective at retaining heat and sealing out light. Very little light comes in from around the sides/top of the curtains, which is especially nice if you're camping in a town or parking lot.
-Sorry, the tapestry under the bed is not included, but another can be custom made to fit by my partner on her hand loom for ~$400.
-The roof deck is framed with douglas fir 4x4s and decked with I-joists for weight savings. Until recently we had two bikes and two kayaks stored up top. The amount of space on the roof could afford quite a large solar array if you were so inclined. The rear ladder is built from 2x4s and the rungs can be easily removed to discourage people trying to climb up at festivals.
-50w solar system includes panel, charge controller, wiring and external battery mount. The 85 AH "house" battery needs to be replaced, and rather than do it myself I'll leave it up to the buyer in case they would rather expand the system. This system is enough to power LED lights, a waterpik, electric toothbrushes, and various laptops/gadgets.
-400w inverter/power strip mounted in dashboard.
-Power strip under the sink for access from bed.
-The faucet has regular and shower modes, and is powered by a foot pump for water savings. An electric pump could easily be installed if you'd prefer.
-35 gal fresh water tank is filled through side wheelchair door.
-20 gal greywater tank is emptied onto the ground through the wheel well under the sink.
-The "pee tube" as we fondly call it runs directly into the greywater tank.
-We have used a 5 gallon bucket setup instead of a regular composting toilet.
-Sometimes when the fuel tank is more than halfway filled, the pump at the gas station won't let you put more in. This is rarely a nuisance since we don't generally try to fill up unless there's less than half a tank, so we haven't bothered to have it looked at in depth.
-Included 12-ton jack and spare wheel/tire.

I'll be in Alamosa and Boulder CO until mid December, then in Pennsylvania for the winter.

I hope I've included everything you'd want to know! Please reach out with any questions to andrewbweidman@gmail.com.

Thanks all,
Andrew

skoolie, schoolie, short bus, tiny house, tiny home
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03334.jpg   DSC03357.jpg   DSC03324.jpg   DSC03279.jpg   DSC03248.jpg  

DSC03292.jpg   DSC03265.jpg   DSC03358.jpg  

Andrewclimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Hey Andrew, that's a sweet looking ride. Good luck with your sale!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Lovely. Never thought of a fold up bed with seat belts. That would solve an issue for us, as we only now and then will have my two step sons, md we live in NY so need a shortie.
awilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome Andrew,

That is a good looking bus.

Have you tried advertising on the Facebook skoolie groups? Craigslist?

You may find more folks there that are looking for a finished skoolie and have deep pockets on FB and CL.

We are mostly diy'ers that tend to be frugal...... OK... Some of us are downright cheap.

I sincerely hope that you get your asking price but be prepared for folks that disagree with your valuation.

The last E450 Thomas that I bought had the Powerstroke, 130k miles and good tires. I thought that I did alright at $2500. I stripped the interior and used it as a moving truck when I relocated to Eastern Washington. I used it as my daily driver for a while. It is more maneuverable than my Dodge pickup.

I got some good use out of it and managed to sell it for $3000. Not really comparable with yours but I can hear the question coming: Are the improvements to your bus worth $23,000?

Good luck.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi all, I have several seriously interested parties on Facebook and Craigslist. Thanks for the encouragement. If I build out another bus in the future I'll consider making a build out thread on here.
Cheers,
Andrew
Old 12-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Now asking $22,000.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
To me, serious buyers are the ones in front of me with cash waving in my face. There is no such thing as a serious Facebook/Craigslist buyer.
What happened to your serious buyers?
Old 12-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
To me, serious buyers are the ones in front of me with cash waving in my face. There is no such thing as a serious Facebook/Craigslist buyer.
I'm talking about people who have driven to meet me and have continued to stay in touch. Since there's no Kelly Blue Book available for school bus conversions I've started with a high asking price and will continue to lower the price until it sells. I've never sold a bus before and I'm doing my best to figure it out. Not your business, why the aggression?
Old 12-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewclimbs View Post
I'm talking about people who have driven to meet me and have continued to stay in touch. Since there's no Kelly Blue Book available for school bus conversions I've started with a high asking price and will continue to lower the price until it sells. I've never sold a bus before and I'm doing my best to figure it out. Not your business, why the aggression?
No aggression to you, just CL tire kickers. I had a woman a week ago, bugged me everyday for a week on the bike for sale. She was coming for sure on Sat. morning, even made an appointment earlier than I wanted. Text me late Fri to say she was no longer interested. That's why I don't consider any potential buyer on FB or CL to be serious until they are in front of me.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-24-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I have dealt with all sorts of CL flakes and scams. I have also sold a house and a bus on CL. Both for full asking price.

It's a mixed bag of nuts.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #12
Bus Nut

I have bought and sold all sorts of stuff on CL, cars, motorcycles, buses. If you put something that is desirable for 10% below bluebook it will be gone quick. People are constantly looking for a deal and they have cash when it comes up they will jump on it. If you list stuff for more then it is worth people will kick tires, offer you low ball offers and other low grade BS. To me it is worth 10% less to sell stuff fast and move on to the next.

I love CL, But you do have to be your own filter and move stuff fast or... there is some strange(worthless crackheads) folks lurking.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
To this end, I don't like the idea of random people off Craigslist or FB (Or any other online source, really) coming to my house. I much prefer meeting in a public place, and strangers not knowing where I live. I'll arrange a meeting at my house if I have to, if I have no other way to handle a sale.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:50 AM   #14

Still available?
bfennel is offline   Reply With Quote