Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you can keep the skirt condensor.. without underhood pics of the lines I cant give you a good analysis, but usually the rear liquid and suction lines are screw fittings into the dashboard system.. ive seen them as easy as unscrew the T fittings out and screw the originals back together... ofcourse it will have to be recharged by gauges and not by weight as its capacity will be different without the rear unit.

-Christopher
Thanks so much for your feedback! I'll have to check out what's going on under the hood a little more fully and snap some pictures. I saw you said in another thread that the Carrier systems seem to usually be hack jobs, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
Thanks so much for your feedback! I'll have to check out what's going on under the hood a little more fully and snap some pictures. I saw you said in another thread that the Carrier systems seem to usually be hack jobs, so I'm hoping that's not the case.
some of the carrier systems were.. it seems they didnt have a lot of control over the installers in their earlier days.. your bus is one of the later installs. so hopefully it is much cleaner..

Tie-in systems are always a toss-up. manufacturers made nice easy screw together fittings and such but whetyher installers chose to make their own hard-set lines or use the kits was anyone's guess..

when I added front and rear custom A/C to my carpenter bus i chose to use all screw together fittings, and while the hoses themselves are crimped, it would be straightforward to take out the rear or front and separate them if I ever wanted to...

my bluebird has Trans/AIR factory A/C in it and they did a nice job of putting it together in such a way I could add a front unit if I want (and i may do just that)..
-Christopher

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Quote:
some of the carrier systems were.. it seems they didnt have a lot of control over the installers in their earlier days.. your bus is one of the later installs. so hopefully it is much cleaner..

Tie-in systems are always a toss-up. manufacturers made nice easy screw together fittings and such but whetyher installers chose to make their own hard-set lines or use the kits was anyone's guess..

-Christopher
Thank you again for all of your insights. Have you heard of any LP Air Conditioners in a skoolie? I seem to recall reading about them being used in some trailers and RVs and was wondering about their availability and viability.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #24
Bus Geek

wow i never heard of an LP A/C in a mobile vehicle.. LP fridges yes.. im not familiar with that type of A/C for an RV... there used to be ammonia-based Natural gas / LP Air-conditioners for homes.. the units were huge in size for the output they produced..

-Christopher
Old 02-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
wow i never heard of an LP A/C in a mobile vehicle.. LP fridges yes.. im not familiar with that type of A/C for an RV... there used to be ammonia-based Natural gas / LP Air-conditioners for homes.. the units were huge in size for the output they produced..

-Christopher
Yeah, I guess what I had read must have been pretty niche, as I'm not seeing much about it in my searching. I think we're now going to prioritize a system that we can use when we're underway and when the bus is parked so we can safely, and in good conscience, leave the dogs unattended. It seems lots of people are using rooftop RV AC units with a small generator to fill that need, but we're open to all suggestions (price permitting).
Old 02-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #26
Bus Geek

my own personal Opinion is to have road A/C for the road and parked A/C for being parked.. many common "Motorhomes" do it this way.. a van cutaway is a bit different because its insulated from the engine a little better than a regiular school bus.. but a rooftop A/C is most likely going to leave you warm in the driver seat on hot days...

everyone's preferences are different in this regard.. while I enjoy driving with the windows down at times.. i definitely want to be able to drive nice N cool when I want.. some people dont mind being warm on the road, or are planning on chasing mild weather.. ie go north in summer, south in winter.. staying away from the opposites.. and dont have as much a desire for A/C on the road..

if it were my bus i'd find a way to make the dash A/C work.. even if it meant going to the junkyard and grabbing front condensor parts from a van to make it work. the fsactory van condensors werent that thick and were installed on the vans.. so if you want to ditch the skirt condensor im thinking you should be able to snag the parts you need to make it just like a factory Van (with the rear deleted).
-Christopher
Old 02-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
if it were my bus i'd find a way to make the dash A/C work.. even if it meant going to the junkyard and grabbing front condensor parts from a van to make it work. the fsactory van condensors werent that thick and were installed on the vans.. so if you want to ditch the skirt condensor im thinking you should be able to snag the parts you need to make it just like a factory Van (with the rear deleted).
Quote:
there is another product out which I havent bought one of and im guessing is a straight on / off compressor (but I dont know)..

ClimateRight 10000 btu Air Conditioner & Heater

its designed for teardrop campers... the 2 round holes are your actual conditioned air.. so this might be able to be mounted nicely under a bus and then run 2 insulated ducts in.. I havent tried it so i dont know if it is any good or not.. its less $$ than a climax and since its main gear is outside, doesnt use any interior space.. and it heats...

I may try one at some point just to see..
-Christopher
Thanks again for everything you're sharing with us. I came across this old post of yours and wondered whether you had ended up checking this product out.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Finally got under the hood to see what we're dealing with as far as the lines are concerned. Didn't clear up too much for me, but someone with more experience might be able to decipher what's going on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180216_073333.jpg   IMG_20180216_073353.jpg   IMG_20180216_073415.jpg   IMG_20180216_073454.jpg   IMG_20180216_073545.jpg  

Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
This is just a guess, but in that first picture it looks like your air intake hose is collapsed. That could account for not being able to accelerate.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
This is just a guess, but in that first picture it looks like your air intake hose is collapsed. That could account for not being able to accelerate.
Good looking out! I'll have to investigate to see what's going on. In the fourth picture it almost looks like there are multiple smaller lines running in whatever that heat wrap is, so it may not be collapsed as much as the heat wrap is oversized and being deformed by the zip-tie, but I'll definitely check into it! Thankfully, we haven't noticed any sort of performance issue when I test-drove it.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #31
Bus Geek

what is that hose with a bolt in it? the factory dash suction line comes out like a normal ford and goes to that block which looks like where the rear T's in.. normally there would be an accumulator right where that block is .. the factory liquid line woukld come up and plug in.. my guess is if you sourced the factory lines it would bolt up fairly straightforward.. the piece missing is where the discharge line off the compressor goes.. but might just be you get the whole set from manifold, condensor, liquid. and it would go in... the dash evaporator doesnt look modified..
-Christopher
Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
what is that hose with a bolt in it? the factory dash suction line comes out like a normal ford and goes to that block which looks like where the rear T's in.. normally there would be an accumulator right where that block is .. the factory liquid line woukld come up and plug in.. my guess is if you sourced the factory lines it would bolt up fairly straightforward.. the piece missing is where the discharge line off the compressor goes.. but might just be you get the whole set from manifold, condensor, liquid. and it would go in... the dash evaporator doesnt look modified..
-Christopher
Thanks so much for taking a look! I was very curious about the bolt-plugged line, myself. I guess I should take a look at what an unmodified system looks like to see how feasible it will be for me to make it stock. Would any additional pictures be helpful?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #33

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Glaval
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: Ford 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 20
following closely!

Hi there, I am checking in on this thread as it unfolds. I have a 7.3l diesel Ford with a Carrier system I am thinking of taking out, but I can't decide! Can anyone show me what it would look like if I DID have a dedicated condenser for the dash? Definitely don't want to mess that up.

Oh, and currently my carrier system blows, but not cold or hot.

What were you guys' main deciding points to take it out? And what will you use instead?
danielwander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwander View Post
Hi there, I am checking in on this thread as it unfolds. I have a 7.3l diesel Ford with a Carrier system I am thinking of taking out, but I can't decide! Can anyone show me what it would look like if I DID have a dedicated condenser for the dash? Definitely don't want to mess that up.

Oh, and currently my carrier system blows, but not cold or hot.

What were you guys' main deciding points to take it out? And what will you use instead?
Our main reason for wanting to remove this rear system was to gain some head room and make the limited space feel more open. We're still trying to figure out what all will be involved with getting the front system operational without the rear and what we'd use instead to cool. I'm going to have to do some more research on the stock AC system so I can compare that to the modified system and determine what needs to be replaced.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Finally getting around to listing some parts!

2004 Carrier/Transicold Split AC System
Skirt Condenser - Light Rust
Evaporator - Fair condition, some cracks and stains on the shroud
I have a .pdf installation guide that I would be happy to share
Does not come with any electrical or refrigerant lines as they were removed at the device

Ricon S-Series Transit Use Wheelchair Lift
Minor rust on the skids
Fully functional and tested before removal
Rated for 800 Pounds
Does not come with any electrical supply lines as they were disconnected at the device

Seats
Fair to good condition
4 Q-Straint Seats
4 Standard Chair-Rail Mounted Seats
2 Front Bump Pads

Pictures will be attached to this post, but if you have any questions or need more photos, please let me know. If you're interested in anything, make us an offer. We're not really expecting the seats to sell, but we figured we may as well list everything.
Attached Thumbnails
AC1.jpg   AC3.jpg   AC2.jpg   AC4.jpg   AC5.jpg  

AC6.jpg   AC7.jpg   Lift1.jpg   Lift2.jpg   Lift3.jpg  

Seats1.jpg   Seats2.jpg   Seats3.jpg  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #36
Bus Nut