Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Well I clearly spoke outside of my scope of knowledge. My apologies.

Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by losa View Post
I think it does, I'll check tomorrow and post a photo.
Sounds good. This may be a selling point for some in colder climates.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #23

Nice bus! I will give you $3,500 for it!
Taralyn5989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Got a pic of the shifter?
My 2004 has a 2000 and from what I understand they'd phased out the 545's by then.
545/643 shifter
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
545/643 shifter
How can you tell from that blurry, far away pic?
My 2000 looks just like that from that distance.

Its already been determined in an electronic tranny, and has a TCM so its not a 545.
I don't think I've seen a bus from 2004 with a 545. The 2000 replaced it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

So forgive my ignorance—been lurking for a while, wife and I have been looking for the right bus—the 2000 then, would have a locked out high gear, is that correct?
Brdfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdfrd View Post
So forgive my ignorance—been lurking for a while, wife and I have been looking for the right bus—the 2000 then, would have a locked out high gear, is that correct?
NO- the 2000 has an overdrive 5th gear.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry—overdrive is not locked out then? So, cruising at 55 is as good as it gets with this one then?
Brdfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Hello Iosa. First - you did a really great job of providing a ton of additional information - very cool. It’s not entirely clear to me if there’s a final opinion on if this is a 2000 transmission. Assuming it is - here’s my take: Overall this seems like a really cool bus. That engine/transmission combo should totally rock (from what I’ve read). It’s New York history is a big concern about rust, but from your statements and the pictures included this doesn’t seem like much of an issue. You did a very cool job of documenting the repairs. I would think the engine repairs are a double edged sword. Very cool that the repairs are done, and documented, and assumed to be all that was needed. But it raises concerns to me (I’m naive, however..) about the rest of the engine. I live in Arizona but used to live in Vermont. If I was close by I’d be in my car heading your way to see the bus and talk about it. I might still connect with you on this. As far as pricing - considering that it’s gutted (not much value in the actual conversion - sorry...) and painted (looks nice), documented maintenance, and a good engine/tranny combo, I don’t think your price is out of line. If you and I were negotiating on the bus my secret thoughts would be this: $4700 is not bad, but I would want to pay less. $3500 is probably too cheap. $4200 would be a sweet spot. To be clear - that’s not an offer since I’m nowhere near you. If you want to push this over the finish line for possibly me and other skoolie members, I would love to see/know the following: 1) Have some pictures of the underside to know the real condition of rust. 2) Figure out for sure what tranny this is - a photo of the transmission nameplate? 3) I’d love to know more about the paint job - was it properly prepped (sanded, cleaned, etc) before it was painted - is the paint job holding up? 4) Others may know this, but I don’t: What is the ceiling height? It is exactly the size bus I’m looking for, so I’m certainly not ruling it out - could fly out, buy it, drive it to friends in New England to hold for a while.... I would have to ponder that one. No matter what I wish you the best at a fast sell- you’ve done a great job documenting this!!
glenncooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:16 AM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdfrd View Post
Sorry—overdrive is not locked out then? So, cruising at 55 is as good as it gets with this one then?
overdrive is NOT locked out on allison 2000's.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #31

Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncooper View Post
Hello Iosa. First - you did a really great job of providing a ton of additional information - very cool. It’s not entirely clear to me if there’s a final opinion on if this is a 2000 transmission. Assuming it is - here’s my take: Overall this seems like a really cool bus. That engine/transmission combo should totally rock (from what I’ve read). It’s New York history is a big concern about rust, but from your statements and the pictures included this doesn’t seem like much of an issue. You did a very cool job of documenting the repairs. I would think the engine repairs are a double edged sword. Very cool that the repairs are done, and documented, and assumed to be all that was needed. But it raises concerns to me (I’m naive, however..) about the rest of the engine. I live in Arizona but used to live in Vermont. If I was close by I’d be in my car heading your way to see the bus and talk about it. I might still connect with you on this. As far as pricing - considering that it’s gutted (not much value in the actual conversion - sorry...) and painted (looks nice), documented maintenance, and a good engine/tranny combo, I don’t think your price is out of line. If you and I were negotiating on the bus my secret thoughts would be this: $4700 is not bad, but I would want to pay less. $3500 is probably too cheap. $4200 would be a sweet spot. To be clear - that’s not an offer since I’m nowhere near you. If you want to push this over the finish line for possibly me and other skoolie members, I would love to see/know the following: 1) Have some pictures of the underside to know the real condition of rust. 2) Figure out for sure what tranny this is - a photo of the transmission nameplate? 3) I’d love to know more about the paint job - was it properly prepped (sanded, cleaned, etc) before it was painted - is the paint job holding up? 4) Others may know this, but I don’t: What is the ceiling height? It is exactly the size bus I’m looking for, so I’m certainly not ruling it out - could fly out, buy it, drive it to friends in New England to hold for a while.... I would have to ponder that one. No matter what I wish you the best at a fast sell- you’ve done a great job documenting this!!
Thank you!!
It's as much information as I can provide, and I appreciate you (and everyone else's) contributions to this forum about also providing all the specs of the bus. THANK YOU ALL!! Was totally not expecting so much conversation but you guys have been very helpful and so knowledgeable about this entire thing. I almost wish I had gotten to know more of the Skoolie community before we hit the road, but alas we had our adventure and here I am selling it.

1. Here's a picture of the bottom/back.

2. You guys know way more than I do about the transmission and engine and are probably right about it...next time I go back, I'll get more tranny pictures.
3. The bus was sanded, powerwashed, and then we put a coat of Rustoleum Almond on it. It has been through hailstorms (in Oklahoma!), snow (sat through CNY winter), wind, rain, heat (drove through Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Texas), and what you see in the pictures is still what the paint looks like today.
4. I'd have to double check on this, but I think ceiling height is at least 6 feet tall inside. My 5'5" friend lived in it with me could stand comfortably.

BONUS: Here is a video walk-through of the inside.
View My Video
(The front bed can lift up for storage underneath.)

Alright so here's the real life part. I am leaving the area soon (Syracuse, NY) and it is parked with expired California tags in a safe lot as a paid favor for $100 a month.

I am looking to sell it as quickly as possible because I will be in and out of Syracuse for the next month or so, and then I will be leaving Syracuse for good by the end of August. I thought I could sell it by the end of June and tie up loose ends (still possible), but so far my only option is selling it for way below value back to the place we bought it from.

So here's where I'm at on selling this bus:

I may be willing to keep it for sale into July if arrangements work out for the right person. I'll just only be available on weekends starting mid July - August.

I'm willing to sell it for $3900 to whoever can take it off my hands the quickest.

This means signing over the title, receiving payment, and having it parked elsewhere ASAP (or possibly paying to keep it where it's parked a little longer.) The nitty gritty you'd have to deal with is registering it in New York (or getting a transfer permit) and insuring it. As far as I know I don't think you'd have to be responsible for the expired CA tags, if anything I'm willing to pay them off before transferring the title if that means you're buying the bus.

Thanks again everyone!
losa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lots of things affect top speed.. the computer can be programmed to limit the speed.. though in this case doesnt sound like thats the case as the OP ran it up to 65..

just because it has ov erdrive doesnt mean its going to be a speed-runner.. it could have ridiculpus rear gears like a 6.13 or such..

an Allison 2000 has a TCM (notice EC and I's observation of the repair history with a Transmission comm link fault.. thats a 2000 series (not a 545 or a 643).)/

Husker - does the shifter have R-N-D-4-2-1 ?.

an allison 2000 is a FIVE SPEED transmission in stock form. 5th gear is a 0.75 OverDrive (not a 6 with 6th locked out like a 3000 series).. you had to get up to year 2006 before the allison 2000 became a true 6 speed.. you **CAN** Mod a pre 2006 allison 2000 to be a 6 speed but its a lot of work both electronically and mechanically to do so..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #33
Skoolie

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
lots of things affect top speed.. the computer can be programmed to limit the speed.. though in this case doesnt sound like thats the case as the OP ran it up to 65..

just because it has ov erdrive doesnt mean its going to be a speed-runner.. it could have ridiculpus rear gears like a 6.13 or such..

an Allison 2000 has a TCM (notice EC and I's observation of the repair history with a Transmission comm link fault.. thats a 2000 series (not a 545 or a 643).)/

Husker - does the shifter have R-N-D-4-2-1 ?.

an allison 2000 is a FIVE SPEED transmission in stock form. 5th gear is a 0.75 OverDrive (not a 6 with 6th locked out like a 3000 series).. you had to get up to year 2006 before the allison 2000 became a true 6 speed.. you **CAN** Mod a pre 2006 allison 2000 to be a 6 speed but its a lot of work both electronically and mechanically to do so..

-Christopher
I never got far enough with the owner to get a picture of the shifter, and grossly misinformed her, so i stepped aside on this one.
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #34
Bus Geek

That looks JUST like a bus I bid on last year. It was up in NY. They said it was geared and limited to 55mph.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #35

Out of curiosity is the title still registered as a bus or RV?

Condition of the tires, date stamped on the side wall and amount of tread left on them?

Is there a generator on board? what is with the second smaller exhaust pipe?

Still curious about the transmission.

Thanks
Brlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
did this bus sell?

looking and interested