Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: International Navistar DT360
Rated Cap: 60
3.5'x8' Back Deck

I have a metal frame deck with a painted plywood floor that attaches to the main frame of the bus chassis. I have an International DT360 32' bus, and the deck was custom made for me by a mechanical engineer. It has fold down steps and a railing, with holes for attaching tie down straps, and tail/brake/turn lights with a connector. It attaches to the frame with a bolt-together pinch point. Has been used for one year to carry a large (~200 lb.) generator and bikes.

Asking $600. Located in Statesville, NC. Email fredbschneider@gmail.com or PM me on here.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Moab 2015 Oct 31, 2014 5-031.JPG  

Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Hmm Im in Jonesville/Elkin Nc... Can I come by and see it? Friday (tom) would be great
Let me know and I can give you my #.

Jeremy
JHerrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Hey didn't see this til now, but you're welcome to come have a look any time. PM me
Old 12-11-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Bump, still for sale. The pinch joints bolt onto the frame, which is 33.5" from the inside of the frame channel, but can be easily modified.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

bump, still for sale!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Can't believe I still haven't sold this! C'mon y'all it's an awesome deck.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Lookin for sub30' dognose
Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
Can't believe I still haven't sold this! C'mon y'all it's an awesome deck.
Did your engineer friend by any chance give you the weight capacity of the design? Could it hold say, 1000lbs?
JSTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:59 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I'll ask him. Mind you it's not officially rated but I can give you the bolt grade and size and the square metal tubing size for the attachment arm braces so that you can judge for yourself if his estimate will work for you. What were you thinking of carrying?
Old 05-17-2017, 02:13 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenationundergoat View Post
I'll ask him. Mind you it's not officially rated but I can give you the bolt grade and size and the square metal tubing size for the attachment arm braces so that you can judge for yourself if his estimate will work for you. What were you thinking of carrying?
Sure, I wouldn't expect it to have any official rating but if he really engineered it then he should have done some kind of calculation on the material strength, joinery strength, and overall structural strength.

Or maybe he just eyeballed the design, said "trust me, I'm an engineer", and called it a day.

In any event I'm not located anywhere near you so there's not much chance of me buying. Plus my question is a bit poorly defined because the load capacity of that deck depends on the distribution of weight. More weight towards the back is worse than the same load located near the front. So don't stress over trying to get an answer.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTriton View Post
Sure, I wouldn't expect it to have any official rating but if he really engineered it then he should have done some kind of calculation on the material strength, joinery strength, and overall structural strength.

Or maybe he just eyeballed the design, said "trust me, I'm an engineer", and called it a day.

In any event I'm not located anywhere near you so there's not much chance of me buying. Plus my question is a bit poorly defined because the load capacity of that deck depends on the distribution of weight. More weight towards the back is worse than the same load located near the front. So don't stress over trying to get an answer.
Dude, its a stout deck. Her stuff is WELL designed and built.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:06 AM   #11
Bus Nut

5/8" grade 8 bolts. He says it would hold 1000 lbs standing still but dynamics going down the road are a whole other matter. Any bouncing would increase the force many times.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:27 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dude, its a stout deck. Her stuff is WELL designed and built.
Hey I never said eyeballed designs are bad, in fact it can be more practical to do it that way especially by someone with engineering skills. Sometimes it's just easier to make something 'strong as ****' instead of bothering with rigorous design calculations. It's just not exactly engineered in the strictest sense.

It certainly looks sturdy and I wouldn't expect it to fail, but if the design was ad -hoc then I think it would be pretty hard to get a real prediction of what the load limit actually is.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:40 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Hey I never said eyeballed designs are bad, in fact it can be more practical to do it that way especially by someone with engineering skills. Sometimes it's just easier to make something 'strong as ****' instead of bothering with rigorous design calculations. It's just not exactly engineered in the strictest sense.

It certainly looks sturdy and I wouldn't expect it to fail, but if the design was ad -hoc then I think it would be pretty hard to get a real prediction of what the load limit actually is.
Her dad is a super-engineer. I bet that deck is built better than your house.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Her dad is a super-engineer. I bet that deck is built better than your house.
I hope so since I don't have a house. lol

I get the impression that you are defending the deck from perceived (not actual) attacks. I'm not trying to talk down the construction of the deck I was just talking about the difference between a fully calculated design versus an ad-hoc one. Neither is fundamentally stronger than the other. In fact, when engineers do ad-hoc designs they tend to make them much stronger than necessary (hence me saying 'strong as ****'). It's just that the true performance specs of the result are more unknown/fuzzier when it's done this way
Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Are you looking for one to be built to your specs? Or just getting ideas?
There are many ways that it can be built to achieve a weight load and status?
One could be welded solid and hold 5000 pounds and one could use the same steel and bolt it together to hold 5000?
I weld for a living and will still use high grade bolts in stress areas because you can't see a stress crack in a weld but you can always check and tighten a bolt.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Are you looking for one to be built to your specs? Or just getting ideas?
There are many ways that it can be built to achieve a weight load and status?
One could be welded solid and hold 5000 pounds and one could use the same steel and bolt it together to hold 5000?
I weld for a living and will still use high grade bolts in stress areas because you can't see a stress crack in a weld but you can always check and tighten a bolt.
No lol my first question was purely curiosity but I think EastCoastCB took it as me trying to talk down the deck so I was trying to explain myself. I don't even have a bus yet so I'm not even sure if I would have a deck on the rear.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
Bus Nut

It really came in handy and I miss having it. I would have loved to put a little motorcycle or Enduro on it to haul but the bus towing the car is already fifty feet long.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
No lol my first question was purely curiosity but I think EastCoastCB took it as me trying to talk down the deck so I was trying to explain myself. I don't even have a bus yet so I'm not even sure if I would have a deck on the rear.
I was just trying to clear the air, as I consider OneNationUnderGoat friends.
It seemed to me like you were grilling them over the quality of an item you don't even have a current use for or any intent to buy.
Sorry if I seem defensive, it just came across as a bit rude to me.
Peace, love, and all than, man!
Old 07-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Still available!