Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #1

Year: 1983
Chassis: Thomas Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3208
83 Thomas 40' pusher

My neighbor is selling his bus. I was thinking about purchasing it to travel in but think I am going to pass because of its length and lack of airconditioning. It has 196000 miles on it and an Onan 6500 watt generator that worked when it was parked. It has been sitting for 8 years but I did drive it 100 miles in the past week to test it out. I offered to help him sell it at and am wondering if anyone is interested. Does need some repair to random parts and tires are pretty dry from Phoenix weather but overall it is in fair shape. Conversion totally done besides air conditioning. Set up for 3 single beds and has a pull out bed in the couch. Let me know what you guys think he is open to offers. Has a cat 3208 motor in it. Automatic transmission. PM if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0555.jpg   IMG_0561.jpg   IMG_0562.jpg   IMG_0566.jpg   IMG_0609.jpg  

randaulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
It looks nice. It's painted nice and the interior work look good. There are people looking for exactly that type of build for brief camping trips.

The problem for most of us is it still has the metal interior panels, meaning it's still got factory insulation. It wouldn't work north of your location in a colder climate. The lack of insulation and AC means summers might be pretty miserable too.

While Cats are good engines they are known to be costly to work on, making Cummins probably the most preferred engine. Different people prefer different engines.

Also it would obviously need a set of tires very soon.

You didn't mention a price. I'd have no idea what you could get for it. It's an interior built inside a bus. I'm not trying to be mean, but most of us would strip the metal panel interior out and insulate it, for both hot and cold climates. It wouldn't be that much to put a mini-split AC in it if that's you only concern. Built as is would be considered more of a metal tent for brief camping trips during fair weather.

That's what's fascinating about this site. There are all levels of builds, from minimal to amazing luxury.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #3

Ya it interesting. I have spent the last months lurking in this forum after my neighbor asked if was interested when I said i was shopping for rvs. He is hoping for 3500 but is probably a little flexible. I was planning on redoing the entire interior if I purchased and spending 6k or so on it but I just don't know if I want something that big. I figured I would ask around to see if anyone would be. It was a school bus here in Phoenix its whole life as far as I know so there is no rust or anything like that. Just lots of dry rubber that probably needs replacing and greased up.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Bus Geek

If it's in decent shape mechanically it actually seems like a nice bus. You could probably use a lot of the current interior parts again if you insulate and put in another interior of some sort. It seems to have the major issues already dealt with, like the bath. The parts are there, it's just that to be comfortable in cold and warm climates it needs to be taken apart and insulated, otherwise you're going to need a huge AC during the summer and a good heater for the winter. If you live in a bus the insulation expense pays for itself over and over again. My experience with insulation is reducing my heating expenses by 2/3rds.
Considering those tires are pretty fried, I'd want to shoot for at least $2,500, based on tire replacement expenses. If you remove the already built interior carefully you could save a lot of money on your rebuild after insulation. If you're comfortable with a Cat engine, and many are, that could be a good bus for you. The rebuild would be mostly labor stripping the interior panels and removing the factory insulation. The biggest expense would be the insulation itself. Many of us favor spray foam insulation, but there is a $$ cost attached to that choice. Other prefer to cut rigid insulation panels to fit between the ribs which is less expensive. The thing is many of us have done one type of insulation, so we have no experience with the other type of insulation.
If you're thinking of getting into a bus you could do worse than that one. On the other hand AZ has a lot of buses for sale on Public Surplus. It depends on the type of bus you actually want and what you intend to use it for.
I had several short buses, then a long bus that went away pretty quickly. Now I'm in a medium size bus. My long bus was old and didn't like to turn 90* corners very well. I needed something more manuverable and I wanted a mechanical diesel.
The point is get what fits you. If you think that's to long you'll never be happy with it while driving. Most people prefer the long buses, but often the pusher RE is preferred. I bought a FE because I can't get a pusher in this length. It's a lot of work so get the bus you actually want even if it cost more. Your budget is easily doable to buy a good bus and get it insulated. How much you want to spend on the interior is a choice you can make later. Plans and choices change as you learn more. It's fun building a bus, but during the process there might be a little cussing.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Thanks for all the input is super helpful. Even if I end up not purchasing and just help my neighbor sell it I am glad I have found this site. I am sure that I will do a conversion at some point to make the ultimate camping machine. I am taking it to a local bus mechanic Monday so that I have a good idea of where it stands mechanically to inform myself and any potential buyers if/when I pass on it. I will keep everyone update Monday and if anyone else is interested just PM me and I will get you information Monday and put you in touch with the owner. Thanks guys!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I'm glad I didn't scare you off. I thought I may have been a little to honest.

It's likely that is a good bus, but it would take a lot to catch it up to where it should be if you're going to use it as a live in bus/motorhome that actually travels. Sitting isn't good for any equipment.
It's good you had the chance to drive it yourself. That's something most of us don't get to do while purchasing a bus at the auctions.
Good luck with whateve you decide.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by randaulf View Post
My neighbor is selling his bus. I was thinking about purchasing it to travel in but think I am going to pass because of its length and lack of airconditioning. It has 196000 miles on it and an Onan 6500 watt generator that worked when it was parked. It has been sitting for 8 years but I did drive it 100 miles in the past week to test it out. I offered to help him sell it at and am wondering if anyone is interested. Does need some repair to random parts and tires are pretty dry from Phoenix weather but overall it is in fair shape. Conversion totally done besides air conditioning. Set up for 3 single beds and has a pull out bed in the couch. Let me know what you guys think he is open to offers. Has a cat 3208 motor in it. Automatic transmission. PM if interested.

what kind of more info can you provide?
more is better, otherwise one have to ask back and forward
meabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:02 PM   #8

I don't know more much as it is not my bus. I was going to purchase but don't have the time needed to get the bus to the point I would like it to be at so I offered to help him sell. It is located in Phoenix so if you are interested pm me and I can try to put you in touch with him. He will only sell locally though so you will have to be in the valley if you want to purchase.