Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
don't take my earlier post the wrong way either, was just an attempt at trying to be funny... If I had the opportunity, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Your plan did not happen overnight, and it did require some thought to be where you're at now.... kinda like reaping the fruits from your 5 year plan, in the middle of the plan.... And I do admire that!
QUOTE=milkmania;113453]poster child for the......

Let me just say this to that..............I started many years ago on my quest "for the one". I started with a fund set aside for my bus "kitty".
2500 bucks.............I bought a bus sold a bus. Bought a bus sold a bus..........I've been into that game for a solid 10 years.........hell I know guys that have been into their build for 10 years on the same bus...........15 hours a week for years.

I never had to go beyond that Kitty. And the Kitty has Grown........I have never Sold a bus that I didn't make at least a little money on...........I've made 500 bucks on a couple, and I've made 8 grand on a few. I started with 2500 I own 4 Crowns free and Clear and I own two Flxibles free and Clear and of course my Armageddon Rig. And damn well proud of that. Lots of Work, lots of crazy stuff, lots of fun adventures, lots of fantastic people and a few Charles Mansons, driven and flown thousands upon thousands of mile.............and the passion remains. And this is not my Job. I am gainfully employed and anchored to the real life most all are anchored too. But I could bug out now or at anytime........I work, I surf and love to hang in my Coaches............I put that energy into the Universe and the Universe had provided for me. I am anchored in terra firma and have my head in the clouds. A dreamer, a realist and have avoided any significant mistakes...............so it's a love thing in a lot of respects...........[
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150525_11_46_59_Pro.jpg   flx......................................................JPG   flxette55.jpg   WP_20150523_15_42_39_Pro.jpg  

Old 06-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
so friggin' awesome!
Old 06-19-2015, 05:49 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Many Mahalo's MilkMania.............I never started out for this to become a source of pride. And I really don't think about it unless someone asks. In those instances when I do revisit it.............yeah it's cool. And I wish you too every success on anything you set your heart to................It's more about heart when push comes to shove. It's about constant learning. Which is why I hang with the Crowns. It's familiar ground. And my cardinal rule is that I try to avoid Projects.............However, in the case of the Black Crown........I bought that knowing in had brake issues. I never expected these issue would become as complex as they would turn out: It was heart that got me through that: Heart and 12 days.

But that said...........This Crown should I ever sell it, would provide me with an incredible pay check. And will easily provide me with 5 times my original investment. It's just one sick Crown and has already provided me with just insane enjoyment. So I broke me rule. Traveled 8 thousand miles, bought a project and received my greatest reward. Many people, presumed to be in the know, turned their nose up at this Crown. I took a Chance did good. But taking chances is not a good business model. But that 66 HP Intercity Crown in terms of enjoyment has been so awesome. And there's yet so much more to do. But it's all there. Thanks for the compliment.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150528_09_21_20_Pro.jpg   WP_20150601_15_42_25_Pro.jpg   WP_20150601_16_12_32_Pro (2).jpg   WP_20150601_15_40_28_Pro.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks for posting the pics. I get a much better sense of who I'm talkin to when they post pics of themselves (hopefully smiling).
You look like a really nice guy and that's how you've always come across to me.
I don't think you did, but I hope you din't find me or my question to be rude. I just genuinely was curious.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
I think its had a yard accident. Low speed impact while parked. Then they banged it out as well the could. I set my price for it at 3600, it went well past it so I never bothered bidding. I am looking at the gilligs. There are advantages to converting a brick and at the price they are a steel. I am just not sure if I have an issue if I can kick it down the road for what I bought it for. Despite it seeming under valued.
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Not a problem EastCoast. Don't fancy myself a "nice guy". But do view myself to be an honest and fair guy. People are allowed to be who they are and say what they want to say: Two sides to that ledger as well. Personal attacks and trifling which sometimes occurs is tolerable only to a point. But we've had that conversation and we know who the agitators are. It's nice when a thread proceeds without the trifling and the meddling. Makes this experience so much nicer. No offense taken by me in any way. Other than I want to see the price of these Crowns more in keeping with their intrinsic value. Because if the price of admission is a bit more, then they will go to homes with the liquidity to maintain them and beautify them and keep them on the Road..............I love seeing them when traveling. Seeing them loved and active. Better than a Museum. They need to be appreciated and seen. They represent all that was good about America. They are a product not designed to become obsolete as most everything today is..........................
Old 06-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
Many Mahalo's MilkMania.............I never started out for this to become a source of pride. And I really don't think about it unless someone asks. In those instances when I do revisit it.............yeah it's cool. And I wish you too every success on anything you set your heart to................It's more about heart when push comes to shove. It's about constant learning. Which is why I hang with the Crowns. It's familiar ground. And my cardinal rule is that I try to avoid Projects.............However, in the case of the Black Crown........I bought that knowing in had brake issues. I never expected these issue would become as complex as they would turn out: It was heart that got me through that: Heart and 12 days.

But that said...........This Crown should I ever sell it, would provide me with an incredible pay check. And will easily provide me with 5 times my original investment. It's just one sick Crown and has already provided me with just insane enjoyment. So I broke me rule. Traveled 8 thousand miles, bought a project and received my greatest reward. Many people, presumed to be in the know, turned their nose up at this Crown. I took a Chance did good. But taking chances is not a good business model. But that 66 HP Intercity Crown in terms of enjoyment has been so awesome. And there's yet so much more to do. But it's all there. Thanks for the compliment.
My little old Grandmother drove a transit bus for the city of Los Angeles in the 60's.... then she quit and became Cafeteria Manager for Marina Del Rey schools... and retired from that.
As I'm learning here, I'm reasonably sure she would have driven a Crown.

I love this part of history, not so much as who is who.... but, what they did! My Grandfather was a Retired "Pile Driver, crane operator" and put the pilings in for the piers along the west coast.... he took great pride in that, and I feel pride when I see the Santa Monica pier and others in movies... knowing my Grandpa did that!

Oh, and since this thread is jacked beyond belief....
EastCoastCB, this mug's for you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9632.jpg   wedding.jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
6-71 detriots are 99% NA, also known as the 238 detriot in the trucker world for it's most common HP rating in trucks, it has a "blower" on the side to move air through the engine being a 2 stroke. turbo charged 6-71's are very rare as everyone usually just moved up to it's bigger brother the 8v71 or in later years the 92 series which are mostly turbo charged (still have blowers though, will not run with out them)
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Well aware of that but thanks....................blower is mandatory..........However in the Crown world which is the the world I live in...............you won't find an 8V71 laid beneath the floor. LOL

And in my experience having owned a few Crowns ;) .............with Cummins Big Cams and the 671TA...........this Fairfield Crown is the first one I've seen that is NA............that's how I refer to any two Stroke that doesn't have a Turbo. I understand the requirement for "atmospherics" to be enhanced with a blower and that ALL two strokes have them...............Got to love giant power saw engines.........LOL

Also typically you would find the 671 sitting at 238 HP in the Crown World without a turbo.............And turbo charged they would sit in around 270......

I also have one amidship Crown that sits at 325..........we bumped up the Governor to 2300 put in larger injectors ran the rack again and retarded the timing one click.............to impede smoke. As well it is a fact that these Detroits came from the factory so tuned. Just weren't found in School Buses............and as well the 671TA is run extensively in the boating world, in fact when I am looking someone to work on one of my Detroits I head out to the Marinas.............and some guys run these at 550HP and above shredding the 1 HP per cubic inch theory. But then in a boat you have unlimited cooling...........and as well at these settings you might be looking an an inframe in about 1500 hours.............so I'm not pretending to tell you anything you don't already know.............. but I kind of get it too...........Ya live ya learn or ya don't............LOL

i
Old 06-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Good stuff...
Milkmania- Thanks, IDK why but those pics made me smile.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Good stuff...
Milkmania- Thanks, IDK why but those pics made me smile.
it's all good....
I told my new wife I could make biscuits from scratch too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8470.JPG  
Old 06-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #32

This is a cool bus. Can you tell the length is a Crown by counting windows or something? Just wondering how much space are in these compared to the transit style buses. Hard to tell the headroom as well.
Nesma02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #33

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
it's all good....
I told my new wife I could make biscuits from scratch too!

Looks like you've got the munchies. Jack in the Box invented a meal just for this occasion.

Jack In The Box | Stacked Grilled Cheese Burger Munchie Meal

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

nope, haven't had the munchies since I was awarded custody in 2010.... before that, got the munchies a couple times in 2008..... but in 1988, Nacho Cheese Doritoes were my best friend
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #35

I think the real interesting part of this auction is that it is titled as a van. It may make it tremendously easy for someone to get plates and insurance vs the normal hassle of arranging insurance during conversion. Maybe it could get added to a regular policy.
Nesma02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #36
Bus Nut

178 thousand original miles is nothing for this Crown..............true million mile engine highest quality Coach build..............It's a Semi-Truck that happens to have an aluminum cocoon tied in to the frame-rails............awesome bus.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesma02 View Post
I think the real interesting part of this auction is that it is titled as a van. It may make it tremendously easy for someone to get plates and insurance vs the normal hassle of arranging insurance during conversion. Maybe it could get added to a regular policy.

As soon as the insurance company punches in the VIN, they will see what iy is.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #38
Bus Nut

It's titled as a Van......straight up................you run the VIN you come up with Van............simple...........
Old 06-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
It's titled as a Van......straight up................you run the VIN you come up with Van............simple...........
I had a Ford E450 school bus titled as a motor home. When I took it to Farmers, they punched in the VIN. They said 14,050# GVW. They said no. I told them it was registered as a motorhome. They didn't care. I didn't walk in off the street. I have insured over 15 cars, my home, my workers comp, etc. with this agent. You can't just show up and dictate what you want. This isn't my first rodeo. I am on bus number 9 that I have purchased.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-23-2015, 12:03 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
I had a Ford E450 school bus titled as a motor home. When I took it to Farmers, they punched in the VIN. They said 14,050# GVW. They said no. I told them it was registered as a motorhome. They didn't care. I didn't walk in off the street. I have insured over 15 cars, my home, my workers comp, etc. with this agent. You can't just show up and dictate what you want. This isn't my first rodeo. I am on bus number 9 that I have purchased.

And your point is what. That your anecdotal experience is a template for all experiences to come. Maybe they just didn't like your vibe.

At this moment in time I'm more predisposed to accept what the School District has to say. If it turns out to not be true then that's a road that of course will have to be crossed. Personally I have had zero difficulty titling my Coaches as motorhomes and typically already have insurance in play prior to arriving at the the DMV it seems to help them along their decision making way in terms of titling: It's always caveat emptor.............isn't it? But your particular experience is precisely that. And I might add in your experience you claimed that it was "registered as a motorhome" I believe the School district claims that it is titled as a Van........but surely a point worth clarification.