Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
A Sweet California Crown At Auction!!

Someone buy this or I'll have to find someone to drive it across the country to me!!!

Quote:
1976 CROWN COACH BUS-IN OPERATING CONDITION
1996-RETIRED AS A SCHOOL BUS, REASSIGNED TO HIGH SCHOOL BAND
203-GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING, RECLASSIFIED DOWN FROM 37,000 LBS. TO 26,000 LBS IN OCTOBER OF 2003 AND REGISTERED AS A VAN.

ENGINE-DETROIT DIESEL, 6 CYL. PANCAKE/MID SHIP LOCATION.
TRANSMISSION-5 SPEED FULLER STANDARD
AIR BRAKES
178,509 ORIGINAL MILES
WHEELS/TIRE-UPGRADED TO TUBELESS

BUYER MUST PICK UP
Public Surplus: Auction #1388398

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Someone buy this or I'll have to find someone to drive it across the country to me!!!

Public Surplus: Auction #1388398
Oh yes the marshmellow bus they called it, I looked at this bus 2 yrs ago when I heard they where going to sell it, took them this long to finally do it
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #3
Bus Geek

The Stay Puft Bus?!
Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Site Team

That thing is so cool. It showed up right next to the bunch of late-80s Gilligs. Any opinions on those? I am tempted, but not sure what they're worth.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
cut the check.....

Old 06-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
who wants to buy my bus so I can get this one LOL
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Wish I lived closer. Not sure it would make it all the way back to Texas without issues.
FlyboyHPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
Wish I lived closer. Not sure it would make it all the way back to Texas without issues.
Issues, Issues, you want to talk about Issues,, I have issues

Old 06-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

But when I talked to them about it the only reason their getting rid of it is the California emissions stardards now, they where restricted to using only 1000 miles ayear
Old 06-16-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
Rated Cap: 84
Beautiful bus. I've always liked that style. It's even stripped on the inside already, and the price? I think it's totally worth it, since my experience with buses is a whole 4 months.
RHOMBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Looking for something
Chassis: Big Enough to fit my dog
The bidding is already going up. Bet it will pass ten grand before its done
facebook.com/mikehathaway
mjh2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Bus Geek

I'd certainly hope not.

I do know that EVERY cool old bus I come across on the web is swept up by Moki.
;)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
I seriously doubt that this Crown will go to 10K. And I know that it won't be "swept" up by me at those dollars. About a year ago there were 4 Modesto Crowns, all with auto transmission, that went at auction. What set them apart was that the engines were all recently re-manufactured, most with less than 50K on them.........These Modesto Crowns all went for over 10K and as high as 14K........and that without taxes and buyers premiums factored in.

The Crown at Auction............is rather interesting in that it has the 6L71NA......and sits at 210HP. I've never owned an NA before. Another very critical aspect of this Sale is that with buyer premium and a State Sales Tax the buyer will be looking to add nearly 20% to the whatever the bid amount will be.Also I do have photo's of this Crown that are not posted on the site. And though there doesn't appear to be significant rust issues, it is a Crown after all: There does appear to be some issues, slight creases and apparent repairs to the body..............All and all I don't know what to say. It's a Crown. They're mid-engined great riding and built machines............I've bid on it. I like it. But don't see it going at 10K. I'm thinking bid price for this will not exceed 6200 bucks. But remember: at that sales price you need to tack on another 20% That takes you close to 7500 bucks............. So you buy it at those dollars because its your primary Coach. But as configured with the current drive train........it may not make any sense at all as a re-sale. I did take possession of a Crown last month.............and quite frankly the currently listed Crown doesn't hold a candle to it............Do check out the link below for more photo's of the Crowns............if you want.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3912450&type=3
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20150601_13_36_04_Pro.jpg   IMG_4980(1).jpg  
Old 06-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #14
Bus Geek

How many do you have, Brant?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I currently have 4 Crowns and one Flxible..................I'm cutting back.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
Bus Geek

So are you a collector or a reseller?
Old 06-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
So are you a collector or a reseller?
poster child for the......

but, ICBW?????

lol
Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #18
Bus Nut

The game is a little more complicated than that: Initially is was about Owning a Crown. And then it came to be parlaying what I owned into "The One". Which I now own. Then it became about Investment. Buying wisely and reselling. And importantly ensuring these machines didn't end up at the scrapper. With the side aspect of getting these Crowns into hands where they would be revered and loved.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm Joe Do Gooder. But if I can accomplish this make a little money along the way that's what I will do. It's fun, I'm rather proficient at it and it is better than having what liquidity I have laying fallow in a bank costing me purchasing power to "save".

Also when I do buy a Crown I try not to leave any stone unturned. If I have questions that aren't answered then I hire people to answer them for me. Sometimes there is a Seller that is aware knowledgeable and can answer any inquiry I have. Sometimes Not. When Not I've no qualms to pay a qualified individual to get those answers for me, take photo's of area's I need to see........and sometimes I have the chance to do this stuff myself.

So it's complicated. To that extent. I always make money from the Crowns I sell. I will not sell unless I get what I want. Personal Opinion? These are grossly undervalued Coaches. After I have gone to the trouble of vetting them, repairing or performing maintenance and am confident and comfortable that they will go anywhere I want them to go. I will not give them away. Every Crown that I have sold has a happy person living and loving there Crown............They are still in touch with me. I still get their photographs, their thanks and I walk them through any difficulties they may encounter. It's not a Policy. It's an affection.

None of this to toot my own Horn. You asked I answered. But I love these Crowns as you know. Until proven otherwise by anyone, they are the best built, best handling Coaches ever made. And their styling alone is worth the price of admission.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Thanks for the answer... I was only curious why a guy would need so many cool old buses.
I do hate to see the prices get so jacked. Undervalued or not.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
The game is a little more complicated than that: Initially is was about Owning a Crown. And then it came to be parlaying what I owned into "The One". Which I now own. Then it became about Investment. Buying wisely and reselling. And importantly ensuring these machines didn't end up at the scrapper. With the side aspect of getting these Crowns into hands where they would be revered and loved.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I'm Joe Do Gooder. But if I can accomplish this make a little money along the way that's what I will do. It's fun, I'm rather proficient at it and it is better than having what liquidity I have laying fallow in a bank costing me purchasing power to "save".

Also when I do buy a Crown I try not to leave any stone unturned. If I have questions that aren't answered then I hire people to answer them for me. Sometimes there is a Seller that is aware knowledgeable and can answer any inquiry I have. Sometimes Not. When Not I've no qualms to pay a qualified individual to get those answers for me, take photo's of area's I need to see........and sometimes I have the chance to do this stuff myself.

So it's complicated. To that extent. I always make money from the Crowns I sell. I will not sell unless I get what I want. Personal Opinion? These are grossly undervalued Coaches. After I have gone to the trouble of vetting them, repairing or performing maintenance and am confident and comfortable that they will go anywhere I want them to go. I will not give them away. Every Crown that I have sold has a happy person living and loving there Crown............They are still in touch with me. I still get their photographs, their thanks and I walk them through any difficulties they may encounter. It's not a Policy. It's an affection.

None of this to toot my own Horn. You asked I answered. But I love these Crowns as you know. Until proven otherwise by anyone, they are the best built, best handling Coaches ever made. And their styling alone is worth the price of admission.
don't take my earlier post the wrong way either, was just an attempt at trying to be funny... If I had the opportunity, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

Your plan did not happen overnight, and it did require some thought to be where you're at now.... kinda like reaping the fruits from your 5 year plan, in the middle of the plan.... And I do admire that!