Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2018, 11:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Advice on a gasser, please

https://waco.craigslist.org/cto/d/19...577346496.html

General advice on this bus would be appreciated. Also insight on what to expect from a bus with the 454, as it seems to be relatively uncommon, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

wunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
lack of info on craigslist post makes me feel that the guy is looking to make a quick buck. I hate posts that don't have enough detail or pics. i'd pass

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
lack of info on craigslist post makes me feel that the guy is looking to make a quick buck. I hate posts that don't have enough detail or pics. i'd pass
Thanks for your insight.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
As gas engines go, the 454 is common in RV's and motorhomes. Unfortunately this 454 is backed by the least desirable trans. The rust on the fender of a Texas bus concerns me enough to avoid an offer.
New tires and new motor are something to consider. Rusty fender can be fixed, I'd have to personally inspect the rest first,
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
As gas engines go, the 454 is common in RV's and motorhomes. Unfortunately this 454 is backed by the least desirable trans. The rust on the fender of a Texas bus concerns me enough to avoid an offer.

That's not rust. The hood is all fiberglass. What you are seeing is simply the paint worn through to the base fiberglass, which isn't all that uncommon.

The 454 isn't a bad engine for occasional local use. I wouldn't want one for much long distance cruising especially if you ever plan to ascend any hills. The fuel economy alone will kill you in gas.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
New tires and new motor are something to consider. Rusty fender can be fixed, I'd have to personally inspect the rest first,
Thanks for the information.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:54 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Looks about common for that age, usually people will ask around 2,500 then bargain down to 2,200 or 2,000

One thing to look for in Texas is flood damage. last year hundreds of thousands of vehicles got and are being resold with it.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACamper View Post
Looks about common for that age, usually people will ask around 2,500 then bargain down to 2,200 or 2,000

One thing to look for in Texas is flood damage. last year hundreds of thousands of vehicles got and are being resold with it.
Thanks for reminding about Harvey! Definitely will keep an eye out for that.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
That's not rust. The hood is all fiberglass. What you are seeing is simply the paint worn through to the base fiberglass, which isn't all that uncommon.

The 454 isn't a bad engine for occasional local use. I wouldn't want one for much long distance cruising especially if you ever plan to ascend any hills. The fuel economy alone will kill you in gas.
Thank you for the information. I thought it was fiberglass too.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Gas is a non-starter for me. You have to be a pretty slick salesperson to convince someone to get half the MPG and 100k mile overhaul intervals, but obviously it happens!
Old 05-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Gas is a non-starter for me. You have to be a pretty slick salesperson to convince someone to get half the MPG and 100k mile overhaul intervals, but obviously it happens!
Seems to be the general consensus, thank you
Old 05-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the windshield pic seems to indicate a new 454 and good tires... 2700 is high.. the mileage on that will likely be in the 4-6 range.. I had a 454 tall Deck years ago.. good solid motor.. not real powerful and not good on gas but parts are still very available for them.. alot depends on what you plan to do with it.. I'd talk the dude down to 2k or below.. and yeah look for any signs of water damage.. esp to the interior.. is the rubber buckled or such indicating water made it up to the floor.. is the trans fluid stick milky indicating water over the trans vent at some point..

if its a weekend warrior that you don t plan to run all over the country putting 1000s of miles on per year a gasser is not a bad way to go.. but diesel is much more efficient and built for longevity if you are going to run it alot..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote