Old 03-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Check your local state laws. Some issue temporary tags for travel. In Ga. they allow you drive on the BOS for30 days as long as you have insurance coverage. State Farm insures me in any vehicle I buy for 7 days, even the bus they won't insure.

Will look into it. Hopefully theres not too much money involved.
mrufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufin View Post
Will look into it. Hopefully theres not too much money involved.
Hopefully not much rust involved if its from NJ.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Seriously think twice about a bus from N.J. or anywhere near New England. Unless you inspect the floor from underneath for rust.
We have one current member dealing with a rust issue I bet he knew about before purchase.

https://imgur.com/a/yisoA9i
Some times airfare or travel expense is much less than the money you need to fix your mistake.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Seriously think twice about a bus from N.J. or anywhere near New England. Unless you inspect the floor from underneath for rust.
We have one current member dealing with a rust issue I bet he knew about before purchase.

https://imgur.com/a/yisoA9i
Some times airfare or travel expense is much less than the money you need to fix your mistake.
He's sending me more pics (tires, under the bus) today including the vin. He sent me some from the inside and it looks super clean as well. Crossing my fingers.
mrufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You may get lucky, but in general, it is a really bad idea to buy any bus from a major rust zone without a hands on, thorough inspection. And that means physically poking around underneath with a screwdriver on the sheetmetal and pick hammer on the frame. We have had a couple of folks here get burned really badly with units that turned out to be close to falling apart. Costs a LOT of time & money to correct (if it even can be) that should go elsewhere.

Just sayin'...
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #16
Bus Geek

They all look good on top of the floor, it's what's under the plywood that will surprise you. A 15 year old bus is not something I would even be interested in looking at if it's from up there.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:55 PM   #17
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufin View Post
He doesn't know what kind of transmission it has. He only speaks spanish so there's a language barrier. So I will have to get the VIN and dig a little.
If you can get the vin from him then you can use the Bluebird Portal site to find the build specs for it.

I use it all the time to save from asking sellers all the same questions that none seem smart enough to answer, headroom, transmission model, rear end ratio, etc.

https://vantage.blue-bird.com/Portal...?srcaud=Portal
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:02 PM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
They all look good on top of the floor, it's what's under the plywood that will surprise you. A 15 year old bus is not something I would even be interested in looking at if it's from up there.
15 years is being very generous, a lot of stuff up here is trash within 7-10 years easy. Not only do we salt the roads like fries at Mcdonalds every time it gets cloudy, now they are pretreating with a liquid salty brine solution, basically liquid rot starter sprayed out of trucks all over the roads. I look at stuff from the desert southwest or socal and it can be 30-40 years old and look better than a 5 yo bus here.
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
15 years is being very generous, a lot of stuff up here is trash within 7-10 years easy. Not only do we salt the roads like fries at Mcdonalds every time it gets cloudy, now they are pretreating with a liquid salty brine solution, basically liquid rot starter sprayed out of trucks all over the roads. I look at stuff from the desert southwest or socal and it can be 30-40 years old and look better than a 5 yo bus here.
I was being generous, but my statement was based on the 18 year old bus in question. You don't have to tell me, I grew up in Ct. Ya, I remember my brothers 66 Mustang that was scrap by 1972.
The guy next door to my parents house there developed a new non corrosive road "salt" and got the contract with Home Depot.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I often request good pics of the stairwell and of the lip when the rear door is open... those 2 places seem to be the first areas to show signs of serious rust on busses.. the stairwells are a no brainer so if the stairs are really rusty just above the treads then run run run.. theres been lots of salty boots tromping inside. rotting the plywood and under-metal... I also look for rusty metal around the seat posts and dash... this is indictive of high humidity for extended periods of time which is often a result of water leaks where moisture has wicked inside the soft materials.. seats, floor plywood, etc.. and even though you are going to throw the seats away... the moisture release has already begun the damage..

-Christopher

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote