Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: International Amtran Genesis
Engine: DT466 (mechanical)
Rated Cap: 90 - 15 Window
Allison AT545 transmission for sale, 77K miles, works perfectly!

Hey guys, I pulled my perfectly running AT545 out of my International with only 77k miles on it and swapped in the MT643. I also have the bellhouse adapter that makes the SAE#2 to a #3 (but if you just need to swap then you won't need that). it also comes with all the sensors still intact and the torque converter but
no Dipstick tube , cooling lines, or yoke

I live in North Fort Worth or Keller area (Texas) but also visit Palestine-Tyler areas every weekend. I'm attaching a picture (you might want to click to bring it up to full size) and will be willing to deliver it anywhere inside the red circle for free, anything out of that would be $50 and up if you need to arrange a meet to get it. PM me if you're interested.

$450.00 (The core on this alone, even if broken is worth $500)

https://Skoolie.From-TX.com
BillETX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Good luck. One forum member has been trying to give one away for at least a year now.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Funny. That's how I feel about this paperweight now.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Maybe we should get together and offer a "BOGO" deal.
Buy One, Get One FREE!

Would make a serious set of bookends.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
how hard was the swap, I have an MT643 I bought to put into my bus, which has not happened, what all did you have to do?
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I wrote about it some in my blog. It's not exactly a "hold your hand" kind of write up.
I'm about to head to bed, so check it out and let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help!

https://tatumskoolie.wordpress.com/2...allison-mt643/
Old 05-09-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillETX View Post
I wrote about it some in my blog. It's not exactly a "hold your hand" kind of write up.
I'm about to head to bed, so check it out and let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help!

https://tatumskoolie.wordpress.com/2...allison-mt643/

this is cool stuff!.. im relatively new to the Diesel scene.. so you dont worry about over-temping the cylin ders by just turning up the fuel and advancing the timing? I have a DT360 and plan on doing an allison 1000 series and turning it up but everyone says i need to install a pyrometer so i can watch my EGT and back off if I run up the temperatiure too high..

Ive swapped a lot of car trannies before ands my bus is a dog-nose so perhaps its different. . but i was always use to spinning the motor little by little and unbolting the torque converter from the engine. pushing it back toward the transmission with a bar and then dropping both the converter and transmission as a unit..

is it different on a DT series engine? and when you reinstall do you bolt the converter up to the engine first? ( i remember attempting this wit ha car and having big issues lining up the splines.. so i started doing converter and trans together)..

were you in a shop with a lift? trying to figure out if I and a couple guys can swap a bus tranny without a hydraulic lift?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this is cool stuff!.. im relatively new to the Diesel scene.. so you dont worry about over-temping the cylin ders by just turning up the fuel and advancing the timing? I have a DT360 and plan on doing an allison 1000 series and turning it up but everyone says i need to install a pyrometer so i can watch my EGT and back off if I run up the temperatiure too high..

Ive swapped a lot of car trannies before ands my bus is a dog-nose so perhaps its different. . but i was always use to spinning the motor little by little and unbolting the torque converter from the engine. pushing it back toward the transmission with a bar and then dropping both the converter and transmission as a unit..

is it different on a DT series engine? and when you reinstall do you bolt the converter up to the engine first? ( i remember attempting this wit ha car and having big issues lining up the splines.. so i started doing converter and trans together)..

were you in a shop with a lift? trying to figure out if I and a couple guys can swap a bus tranny without a hydraulic lift?

-Christopher
I think you just need a really badass jack.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

-Christopher
As far as the timing and fueling goes, these 466 motors were designed to run a lot harder than the bus manufacturer sets them up to, especially when mounted to a 545. Using the stock fuel plate slid forward can't really get you in trouble unless you act like a moron. Advancing the timing 5 degrees over stock is where you get better efficiency because it ignites more fuel in the combustion chamber instead of dumping it in the exhaust, among other things that advancing does.

We literally pulled the old transmission off with a motorcycle jack, then the torque converter. But the new one would not fit under the bus or over the axle unless we jacked it up a little, we used two floor jacks on the front to accomplish that. And no, do not attempt to bolt the converter on the flexplate first, you'll likely never get it to stab correctly, we mounted it all at once and turned it slowly fui bolt on, using lock tite all the way.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Just about all diesels can pick up a few free ponies by turning up the fuel screw and will suffer no ills. The inline Cummins pumps are especially easy to tweak. Larger injectors and upgrading the turbo will yield yet more HP. Best bet is to do some engine specific homework on any of the many diesel forums to find out just how much to crank up any given motor. Some of the improvements in power can be quite impressive given that the cost can range from a few minutes time to a few hundred bucks.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Tango is correct.

Once I've got my conversion further along I'm planning to turn up mine. I've got the 195hp version and 643. Wanting to bump that up to 210-225 and if a sweet deal on a 3060 or another 643 with retarder pops up, I'll consider that too.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ok cool.. so you put it back togethert the way I was always accustomed to.. putting the converter on the tranny then setting it up in and rotating the engine bit by bit.. of course in the classic car days with gas motors i'd just take all the spark plugs out so I could turn the crank easily.. slow and go with a diesel waiting for the cylinders to bleed down since I dont have glow plugs to pop out..

I read alot on the diesel forums of people turning up their DT360's (what mine is) by turning up the fuel screw.. everyone with the 360 and 466 on the truck forums seems to install a pyrometer and was concerned about cylinder temps.. now maybe they are also changing out injector pumps at the same time..

did you have to support the engine while the trans was out or is a flat-nose bus different in the engine mounting from a conventional?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison 545, at545, transmission