Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Any Thoughts on This Shuttle Bus? - New SubReddit for Bus Shoppers

For a long time I've had an interest in either Vandwelling or converting a bus. Finally have a bit of cash I can throw at a bus or a project and also have a decent spot to park something and store it at my place so going to make the plunge.

I've been browsing the stuff everyone on here is selling, have had a few convos but people seem pretty spread out across the country. I've also been browsing Craigslist and eBay as well. From what I'm hearing on here eBay stuff seems to be a bit overpriced.

Anyhow, while I go on this journey of finding either a completed bus, partially completed bus or a project I've realized what a challenge finding something can be.

Since I'm all over Craigslist and eBay searching I figured I'd go ahead and compile everything I'm comming across in one place to help anyone else in my position. I started a SubReddit called "Skoolies For Sale" so feel free to check it out if anyone else is looking as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skooliesforsale/

Also, on a total side note somewhat considering this Shuttle Bus Conversion below, any thoughts?

https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/2...526942744.html
rulesforrebels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
thanks for doing this. I'm in the same place, looking for a 5 window bus or ambulance.
My thoughts are changing as I read and think about what others are saying.

The type I ambulances or buses on a truck chassis are making more sense over the van chassis.

The goal of a 7.3L engine still seems valid as does the year, pre-1995 with pre-2003 being a good alternative.
alpinekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
That's an Eldorado Aerolite body which is well built. The engine is likely a V10 gasser and at 160K may be getting a bit worn. The gassers don't last as long as the diesels. If it's been well maintained $9500 isn't a bad price.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekid View Post
thanks for doing this. I'm in the same place, looking for a 5 window bus or ambulance.
My thoughts are changing as I read and think about what others are saying.

The type I ambulances or buses on a truck chassis are making more sense over the van chassis.

The goal of a 7.3L engine still seems valid as does the year, pre-1995 with pre-2003 being a good alternative.
The pre 1995 is to avoid emissions testing correct? What is the benefit of pre 2003?
rulesforrebels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebels View Post
The pre 1995 is to avoid emissions testing correct? What is the benefit of pre 2003?
Because around 2004, Ford (International) introduced the 6.0 diesel, which soon developed a terrible reputation. The deficiencies can be corrected, but at considerable cost. If not corrected, a single over-temp event will destroy the engine beyond repair (which is why many hit the auction block with "non running" engine and cheap prices). For this reason, the engines are either best avoided, or be prepared to do the "bulletproofing" if it hasn't already.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: sturdivan
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3l IDI
Rated Cap: 10,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulesforrebels View Post
In CA the emissions thing started in 97 if I remember right,

95 is when they switched from mechanical to electronic control on the fuel injector pump. On the diesel i already have there is 2 Darlington transistors that control the pump, I thinks its called the pump control module. They are heat sensitive and mounted in the hottest part of the engine, thanks GM. Gm want a few hundred for 25 cents worth of electronics and about 1,000 to put it in since you have to pull the turbo pump and intake manifold.

some time around 2003 or maybe a year or two later, the emissions stuff add a lot more unreliability to the engine. I dont know exactly what but I've seen a lot of advice to avoid it. .
alpinekid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, bus conversion, short bus, shuttle bus