Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 09:02 AM   #1

anyone know this Crown Bus in Irvine CA? on eBay

Anyone know this Crown (already partially converted) bus on eBay?

I won the auction a few days ago and haven't had any luck contacting the seller to make arrangements for payment/pickup (seems very odd).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/88-Crown-Sc...53.m2749.l2649

If it was a scam, I would think they would be asking for something, but they aren't. Seller didn't make their phone number available on ebay, so that's out - all I've got is eBay's messenger system.

Does seem like they want/need to sell (why else would you post it on eBay), and this is a relatively small community, so I figured before I gave up and moved on, I'd ask here...

Appreciate any help!

neilhellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #2

anyone know this Crown in Irvine CA - on eBay

edited to remove double post
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Sellers remorse??

Maybe they neglected to set a minimum bid and the bidding did not go as high as they expected?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #4

It did cross my mind that could be the case, but they did start the auction at $9950, so I would assume that was the minimum they were willing to accept? Regardless, not communicating with the buyer is the wrong response in this scenario.

I can understand that a one-bid sale isn't encouraging for the seller, but if others thought it was worth more, they would have bid higher. That's the spirit of an auction.

I'm hoping this isn't the case (seller's remorse) and they are simply unfamiliar with eBay messaging or aren't receiving my attempts at communication.

I am looking forward to my first Skoolie!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I hope you are successful. That looks like a good deal on a nice bus.

I love the Crown's.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Did you try posting this on CCJ Facebook? Perhaps, someone over there is selling it or knows of it.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #7

Thank GWRider - I would be happy to give that a shot.

I am unfamiliar with the "CCJ Facebook" group. What does CCJ stand for and I'll go find the page.

Really appreciate any and all suggestions!
Old 04-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Found and posted on the CCJ facebook group... A couple people there knew the bus before the current owner purchased it (and have shared a few pictures of the bus pre-conversion). What a small world!

None (so far) know the current owner, but I'm holding out hope the someone recognizes the bus and can put us in touch...

The bus was #69 from the Long Beach school district - apparently sold at auction not too long ago.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhellr View Post
Anyone know this Crown (already partially converted) bus on eBay?

I won the auction a few days ago and haven't had any luck contacting the seller to make arrangements for payment/pickup (seems very odd).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/88-Crown-Sc...53.m2749.l2649

If it was a scam, I would think they would be asking for something, but they aren't. Seller didn't make their phone number available on ebay, so that's out - all I've got is eBay's messenger system.

Does seem like they want/need to sell (why else would you post it on eBay), and this is a relatively small community, so I figured before I gave up and moved on, I'd ask here...

Appreciate any help!
Congrats on the Crown!!

I messaged this seller several time while the auction was still up looking for details on the drivetrain. The first time they responded within 24hrs, but didn't answer all of the questions I asked in the message. They never responded to any follow up messages and sort of went dark. I will look back in my message history and see if theres anything there that might help you.
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:42 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Looked back at my ebay messages and all they said was that they bought it in 2017, it had sat for 6 months prior to then, they had no maintenance records, and gave no answers to my questions about transmission, engine etc.

Hope you get it worked out. Keep us posted.
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Found and posted on the CCJ facebook group... A couple people there knew the bus before the current owner purchased it (and have shared a few pictures of the bus pre-conversion). What a small world!

None (so far) know the current owner, but I'm holding out hope the someone recognizes the bus and can put us in touch...

The bus was #69 from the Long Beach school district - apparently sold at auction not too long ago.
It was worth a try. Many of those CCJ members were former drivers, mechanics etc. and know their Crowns very well. Some even know the sales history of certain units which is why I mentioned them. You may get more responses by this weekend. Good luck.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #12

UPDATE - I received a short email reply from the seller late last night (on ebay's messenger system). He apologized for the delayed response.

I still haven't spoken to him to arrange my trip out for pickup/payment, but asked him to give me a call (again) so that we can plan something that works conveniently for him.

I'm optimistic that things will work out... I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for all the help and advice here - what a great community...
Old 04-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
UPDATE - I received a short email reply from the seller late last night (on ebay's messenger system). He apologized for the delayed response.

I still haven't spoken to him to arrange my trip out for pickup/payment, but asked him to give me a call (again) so that we can plan something that works conveniently for him.

I'm optimistic that things will work out... I'll keep you posted!

Thanks for all the help and advice here - what a great community...
that's good to hear
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Circumstances beyond our control do happen. Let's hope this is one of those.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

That would have been the time to buy, IMO.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Take it up with ebay
robertv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #17

Hey Robert - I have definitely contacted ebay (and according to them, there is nothing they will do). They won't even reach out to the seller (via the phone number they have) to ensure he is receiving the messages or to encourage him to finish up the deal.

They will not share the contact phone number (I am not asking them to, only to reach out to move things along). I do understand this to a point.

It would appear that ebay is only interested in collecting their fees and not doing much to ensure that things are working fairly for both buyers and sellers. This is coming from someone who has bought and sold 1,000's of items on ebay. They are a good platform for getting in front of buyers or for finding unique items, but they are NOT good to work with (as a buyer or a seller).

I have received another somewhat vague response from the seller, but have still not spoken to him on the telephone or set a time for pickup/payment (though I have asked in each correspondence).

I would like to finish this deal up or move on. If I understood the delays, it could be a different story. I do believe as a buyer, I am entitled to responses to reasonable requests to speak and to finish up a mutually agreed sale in a reasonable time frame.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
It has been a week since you started this thread. By now, I would think you have no obligation to finish the deal. *IF* you do get in contactwith the buyer you may be able to negotiate a lower price.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
eBay's response normally in this type case they would tell you if you haven't paid, don't. After a certain period they will find in your favor and close the case with you out nothing. So they won't do more. Keep an eye out and see if that bus comes back on there.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #20

They probably already had it sold before the eBay bidding ended
Robert Clint is offline   Reply With Quote