Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 05:36 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Won one of the auctions
Congrats! I was watching close, but am looking at a different BB. If I am going to the other coast for a bus, I want to get all my boxes checked off. Post some pics of your progress once you get it.

As for shipping, also try out uBid. I have had success there, always cheaper than a commercial transport and just as good. Make sure they have insurance.

I am checking out storage lots in the area where the bus I want is. Might store it until after April so Ican fly out and drive her home myself!

Good luck!

jasong71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Anyone have any experience shipping a bus?
$3-$4 a mile is what I was quoted...
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #23
Skoolie

Shipping the bus sounds horrible. I'm going to need if I can get a last minute flight.has to be picked up by the 20th. Alternative would be having it shipped to a storage yard and going to pick it up end of Jan beginning of Feb when i could either get a ride or cheaper flight. Any experience or advice or general price idea on that?
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:25 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
congrats!!!

welcome to skoolie ownership. it just gets more expensive from here.

if you already have auto insurance, a recent bill of sale (less than 14 days) covers you for the trip home. waiting longer means you'll have to plate and insure it.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
congrats!!!

welcome to skoolie ownership. it just gets more expensive from here.

if you already have auto insurance, a recent bill of sale (less than 14 days) covers you for the trip home. waiting longer means you'll have to plate and insure it.
Turf, that depends on your state and insurance company. Eric, I'd call your insurance company to make sure first.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:58 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Shipping the bus sounds horrible. I'm going to need if I can get a last minute flight.has to be picked up by the 20th. Alternative would be having it shipped to a storage yard and going to pick it up end of Jan beginning of Feb when i could either get a ride or cheaper flight. Any experience or advice or general price idea on that?
Google storage yards in that area. Also check out RV parks. They often offer rv/boat storage. I haven't researched pricing out there before, but it varies quite a bit based on location.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #27
Skoolie

I'm flying out tomorrow to get the bus. Anyone know where I can locate any reading material for this type of bus? I've never powered one on or driven a bus. I've collected tips on how to drive but not the actual controls. Any help or direct me to a manual or bluebird for dummies?
Old 01-14-2016, 07:57 AM   #28
Bus Geek

I'll look through my e-manuals and let you know.
edit- I have BB manuals, PM me your email and I'll send em.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #29

Congrats!! I'm new to the forum and a first time poster researching the affordability of a conversion. We also live in MI, though are staying in AZ for winter to be near my father-in-law. Traveled to AZ and staying in 25' travel trailer w/4 kids, it didn't take long for us all to figure out a travel trailer wasn't big enough, especially if we are going to do this again, which is likely. Anyway, get with me regarding where in MI your at, if we're close, and when we get back in April, I'd like to get with you on your experience. I'm pretty handy as a jack of all trades (wiring, plumbing, mechanical, etc.) and lived off grid for many years in my previous life. I'd love to give you a hand with your conversion if you wanted it or needed it, just for the experience before we jump in with both feet. Good luck on your trip and safe travels.
Snowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #30
Skoolie

Stupid question... I can't figure out how to turn on high beams, I've tried all the switches and turn signal. Idk I feel stupid lol. Smooth sailing so far tho
Old 01-16-2016, 11:49 PM   #31
Bus Geek

button on the floor maybe?
Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 PM   #32
Skoolie

So I'm driving my bus back from Washington and my emissions device monitor is telling me to service now. It was on and off with service soon til it said now. So I stopped for the night but its -16 degrees so I left the engine running for heat. Can I drive with this thing as such? I don't care much about emissions at this point in time but I've got 1000 miles to go. I was thinking maybe it's cuz its so cold but if something that prevents toxic emissions is clogging up I don't wanna cause any further damage. Any help or advice is appreciated

Maybe run it at high rpm to burn the spot that may not be burning due to cold temps?
Old 01-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

I hope you have added some fuel conditioner to your fuel. At -16*, even with the engine running you could end up with a tank full of jelly.

If there isn't a button on the floor to turn the high beams off and on then it would be on the turn signal stalk. I would lean toward the button on the floor.

As far as the emissions light is concerned, I can't think of what would be installed on a bus of that vintage that would be considered an emissions device. Did you change the oil and filters before you left WA? If so, as long as the lube oil is within the safe operation zone I wouldn't be too worried. If it is a big worry stop in one of the truck shops in one of the large truck stops and ask one of the techs if they know anything about the light. Spending a few $$$ for peace of mind can be well worth the expense.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Does it have the old floor switch?
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Your bus could very well have a Catalytic converter. I know that up here any vehicle made after 1994 (or was it '97?) is supposed to have a Cat.
It wouldn't be the first time a Cat has gotten plugged up. In witch case the solution would be to just replace it with a piece of pipe.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #36
Skoolie

Hehe I feel dumb. Definitely the floor switch. That wasn't in the manual tho lol must be common sense. Being from Washington I'll bet its a cat converter plugged up cuz it was too cold to operate properly ontop of the fact that I didn't have any additive til this morning when I found out that was a thing. Seems to be running OK and now has fuel with additive though. Fluid levels are fine and pressure appears fine. Still smooth sailing. I did not get a new fuel filter but it had 1000 miles on it and was replaced 9 mo ago. I was kinda nervous to drive to Seattle and he went over maintenance records with me and it appeared good enough to go
Old 01-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Enjoy that ride back, man! Hope you're having a blast.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #38
Skoolie

The mountains were great. Now I know why it was so recommended to get a good drive train. My first 30 mins and I was headed up a snowy mountain. In Minnesota now. Pretty tired and wanna get home to see my lady and puppy but smooth sailing. I will say I thoroughly enjoy driving this beast!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
The mountains were great. Now I know why it was so recommended to get a good drive train. My first 30 mins and I was headed up a snowy mountain. In Minnesota now. Pretty tired and wanna get home to see my lady and puppy but smooth sailing. I will say I thoroughly enjoy driving this beast!
That is awesome. So looking forward to my time!
Old 01-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Does it have auxiliary braking?
Yeah the mountains really put a drivetrain to the test!