Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
A little rust might not be bad but if you grind it off instead of convert it you make baby Jesus cry.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah Blue Ridge says they can remediate the rust if its in the body just not the engine. I assume that's treating it. Not sure. I just offered him $3k for the Amtran so we will see.
ATHandBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:08 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
A little patine on the engine is a non-issue.

The rust on the frame, floor, walls, etc can be converted with Ospho or a similar product that chemically changes iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate, a strong inert metal that won't rust.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

The search has been going on for a while now and havn't secured anything. Back to the advice line.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3660084903318/

5.9 Cummins with Allison Trans. Seller doesn't know exacts on Trans. Claims 26k original miles on engine. I'm thinking of offering $3k.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHandBanana View Post
The search has been going on for a while now and havn't secured anything. Back to the advice line.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3660084903318/

5.9 Cummins with Allison Trans. Seller doesn't know exacts on Trans. Claims 26k original miles on engine. I'm thinking of offering $3k.
If he's not the original owner of the bus, do not believe the mileage is correct. $3k is tops, unless it's a 545 and then knock a couple hun more off.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #46
Bus Geek

The last pic of the dash is not the same bus as the one showing the mileage.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
The last pic of the dash is not the same bus as the one showing the mileage.

Thanks for pointing that out, I definitly overlooked that. Why am I finding all the scam artist????
One guy wanted to charge an extra $2k over asking to schedule an appointment to inspect the bus......
Needless to say this guy did not accept the $3k offer...
Old 06-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Just got into contact with the seller of this bus. It's with the Boys and Girls club. Any experience with buses from that organization? I would ASSUME they take decent care of their vehicles. They just upgraded to newer buses he says.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6028996469155/

I think I am just overly suspicious of everyone.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Just got into contact with the seller of this bus. It's with the Boys and Girls club. Any experience with buses from that organization? I would ASSUME they take decent care of their vehicles. They just upgraded to newer buses he says.

If you've got the kind of money to pay a company to do your bus up you should maybe lighten up on the scrutiny and find a bus you like and just go for it.
You can replace the whole engine for a fraction of what a conversion from one of these startups costs.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:

Unless I was flush with cash I would not get rid of a bus with 21k (hardly broken in) and spend over $100k for an upgrade. The old bus would probably be more reliable. Never assume an organization would take decent care.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
If you've got the kind of money to pay a company to do your bus up you should maybe lighten up on the scrutiny and find a bus you like and just go for it.
You can replace the whole engine for a fraction of what a conversion from one of these startups costs.
You have a valid point and thanks for the suggestion. I am finding buses I like, I am just looking for advice on whether or not they would be a good buy. I have reached out to multiple buses for sale and they continue to fall through or some issue isn't disclosed. I don't have the depth of knowledge as you all do and just appreciate the opinions put forth. Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Quote:
You have a valid point and thanks for the suggestion. I am finding buses I like, I am just looking for advice on whether or not they would be a good buy. I have reached out to multiple buses for sale and they continue to fall through or some issue isn't disclosed. I don't have the depth of knowledge as you all do and just appreciate the opinions put forth. Thanks for the help!!
The purchase price of a used bus is such a drop in the bucket if you're forking over fifty g's to someone to gut and paint it.
I'd be looking for top of the line buses and maybe even check out some dealers. 95% of the buses in FL are lower spec stuff that's been run hard. Check out west for the really awesome buses. And they're cheaper than the run of the mill stuff over here.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Alright, so I have been told that the DT466 is the way to go. I have a bus I found with a 444E. Would this still be an acceptable engine to push a full conversion through the mountains throughout the next few years? I was able to get the seller to $4k.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3572778365091/
Old 06-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
Alright, so I have been told that the DT466 is the way to go. I have a bus I found with a 444E. Would this still be an acceptable engine to push a full conversion through the mountains throughout the next few years? I was able to get the seller to $4k.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3572778365091/
I mean, it'll do it if you make it do it. But a bigger straight six is always preferable for pulling power.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
There’s no question that decent busses can be had for cheap, but if you are planning a significant build and are picky, paying more for a bus that is exactly what you want is the cheapest way to get what you want.

Swapping a transmission or adding air ride or dash AC orwhatever gets pricey fast and just buying the bus with everything you want is the cheapest way to get it that way, even if you pay a few grand more.

In my experience if you are driving in the mountains and you have a full size bus you want well over 200 HP, I have 210 and it is just barely enough to not feel silly. And the 545 tranny would be a very bad idea for a lot of mountain and highway driving.

Ideally get something that is has 250 HP or more and a 6 speed transmission like the 3060, highway gearing in the rear (mid fives or less if you have double overdrive), air ride, belly storage, dash AC, and pre emissions.

A bus like that will cost more, but if that’s the bus you want, busses are dirt cheap compared to cars. It’s a drop in the bucket if you are doing something nice with it.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:53 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
There’s no question that decent busses can be had for cheap, but if you are planning a significant build and are picky, paying more for a bus that is exactly what you want is the cheapest way to get what you want.

Swapping a transmission or adding air ride or dash AC orwhatever gets pricey fast and just buying the bus with everything you want is the cheapest way to get it that way, even if you pay a few grand more.
Well said!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, help please, new member