Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

B600 deal or no deal

I have a friend who is selling her 1993 b600 with a 5.9L and an Allison transmission. It had almost 270,000 miles on it. She wants about 8 grand for it because that’s what she and her bf paid for it. It has been converted but I showed my wife and she would pretty much want to change everything except the bed frame. The price seems steep, she’s been told by others she could sell it for more but that doesn’t mean the others know what they are talking about or maybe they do but I figured I’d ask the forums before going any further.

Glassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Way too much money. Them old Ford chassis were also a pretty rough ride in my experience.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I’d keep looking. That’s a lot of money for a bus with that many miles.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 01:27 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I'll sell you my IH for half the price (it's too big for my driveway).

I'll even deliver within a reasonable distance. PM me if interested for details.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:14 AM   #5

Thank you all. I thought it seemed pretty steep, it started right up and had no visible rust whatsoever and the tires were new and the multiple ac units were running so it was cold ( big thing for Florida ). But after looking at the public surplus website I saw many buses that were going for much less. Would a fair estimate be approximately half of what she’s asking ? She’s a friend and I’d like to let her know what a realistic number may be so she can sell it faster to someone it’s more suited for than what we are currently looking for.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:40 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassguy View Post
Thank you all. I thought it seemed pretty steep, it started right up and had no visible rust whatsoever and the tires were new and the multiple ac units were running so it was cold ( big thing for Florida ). But after looking at the public surplus website I saw many buses that were going for much less. Would a fair estimate be approximately half of what she’s asking ? She’s a friend and I’d like to let her know what a realistic number may be so she can sell it faster to someone it’s more suited for than what we are currently looking for.
Don’t forget that there’s time and materials in there, so keep that in mind. If it’s a nice bus then maybe it’s not far off. It depends on the condition of the equipment and the quality of the build. When you start adding it up the price of the bus starts to be insignificant. Depending on what you do of course.

That’s a lot of miles on a bus IMO. But then again, how well was it maintained?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:47 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Good points Danjo ... it does highly depend on the quality of the build and performed maintenance.

Any photos?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:40 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I have a friend who is selling her 1993 b600 with a 5.9L and an Allison transmission. It had almost 270,000 miles on it. She wants about 8 grand for it because that’s what she and her bf paid for it. It has been converted but I showed my wife and she would pretty much want to change everything except the bed frame. The price seems steep, she’s been told by others she could sell it for more but that doesn’t mean the others know what they are talking about or maybe they do but I figured I’d ask the forums before going any further.
I was given a B600 Thomas gasser back in the day.

8 grand will get you a truly nice bus I'd pass on that Ford.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:41 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Way too much money. Them old Ford chassis were also a pretty rough ride in my experience.
The one I had rode like a brick.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
That's likely too much, all depending on the level and cost of the conversion.

If she's a friend, I'd simply tell her that you're looking for something different and best of luck on the sale. I wouldn't tell her your opinion of the cost because that will likely disappoint her and could lead to hard feelings and the end of the friendship. If she is overpriced, she'll find out soon enough by the lack of interest when trying to sell it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:08 PM   #11

Thank you all for valid points, the quality of the build was livable but not to the point that I wouldn’t be pretty much gutting 75% or more and at that point It’s just a shell. As far as how well the engine and all of that has been maintained is a question i was going to have a very capable mechanic friend look at beforehand if I decided to move forward but it seems like I would have to tell her that we will probably be looking to do something a little bit different and I wish her the best with the sale.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
Quote:
Most likely has the AT545 transmission in it, not a popular choice as the torque converter never locks up. Add the fact that you don't like the interior and that's a deal breaker.

Your friend should ask what she feels it's worth. There is a lot of work goes into any conversion and maybe someone will like what she has.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote