Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
Bus Nut

If you decide to make your own watch out for the price of the jets. Last year I saw a really nice hot tub shell for free in the paper and I got it. It is in great shape and looks great, only problem is the guy trashed the jets and all the plumbing. cheapest jets I could find online and locally were $20 each not to mention the air injection fittings and all. I ended up keeping an eye out in the paper for another free hot tub. I did end up finding one that the shell was trashed but the jets were good. If you do build your own keep an eye out for free hot tubs in the paper and maybe you can find one with good plumbing.

busone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Bus Geek

i found my jacuzzi in the want adds in the newspaper for $250. It's 93" square and holds approx 400 gallons of water.

I agree with busone that the want adds are the way to go. There are plenty of smaller hot tubs out there for free or cheap.

One thing i found handy is converting the pipe from crazy specialized jacuzzi size to standard pvc pipe sizes. This allows you to plum the tub to the holding tanks to quickly and easily transfer water. Home Depot sells rubber pipe fittings that work well for this conversion.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Kevin,
I know you've had some misgivings in the past about your rig but I gotta tell ya, that Bookmobile is awesome! I can see you having lots of fun putting that thing together for a sweet weekend camper. (I totalled my 42 pass. 1964 Chev. last year and that was a good size for those weekend escapes.) A cool paint job will also make your rig turn heads, and let's admit it, isn't that at least part of the fun of driving a converted rig? Please keep us posted on your progress. Include photos when you can, if possible. This is going to be a fun one to watch take shape. By the way, whatever happened with the radiator?
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, Soul Trader, I can see how you'd blend right in to the fabric of society driving a 24 yr. old Bookmobile. Yep, you'll have a hard time findin' that one in the parking lot alright! Sorry man, couldn't resist. Seriously, I know what you mean about the paint job. What kills me are these guys with the psychedelic paint job and Grateful Dead stickers and they wonder why they keep getting pulled over. LOL. When the authorities saw my rig, most of them thought is was a great hunting and fishing camper. Of course, I could have made the illusion complete by sticking the deer head and jumpin' bass decals on the back door! Couldn't seem to bring myself to do that though.
I had to have my 1964 Chev. radiator recored also. It cost me $300 in 1985. God I miss that bus. The Rocket is dead, Long Live the Rocket! May he Rust in Peace.
Later, Man.
1993 Amtran (Ward) 77 Passenger body on an International frame. DT360, Allison 545 AT. The avatar is my first skoolie, "The Rocket" may it Rust In Peace. Follow the links at the bottom to see the horrible details at https://www.gentlekharma.com
Be Amazing
Zen Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:20 AM   #5
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
Here is the key to peace and happiness from a cop's perspective...

1. Those who look like they may be transporting large quantities of an illegal substance (think what you could pack into a full size bus) are worth the time to stop.

2. Those who look like handymen who made a bus into a great wilderness adventure mobile are not worth the time to stop unless you are a game warden.

So, paint it and fix it up like rainbow people and expect to get treated like rainbow people I guess...Anyone know if they're into drugs or anything?? : ). Paint it nice and fix it up like a nice RV and get treated like the outdoorsman that most cops are. Most of the cops I know actually admire a nicely done bus camper and can appreciate the "cabin on wheels" kinda vehicle.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote