Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
All joking aside....its something I have actually been considering and have talked over with my wife. Seems to be a great market if you undercut the big players (which really isnt hard)
I'm not joking.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:33 AM   #62
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftone View Post
All joking aside....its something I have actually been considering and have talked over with my wife. Seems to be a great market if you undercut the big players (which really isnt hard)
I am with you. I was only half joking. You could make a decent amount of cash with minimal effort. How much is it worth to pick up a bus that already has the seats out, the body painted white (could even charge a bit more to paint it a custom color), and possibly rip out the puke mats. I would have payed a $1000 more than I did for my bus if that were all done... But that's before I got the seats out in half a day.
Painting scares people, the idea of ripping out a bunch of seats scares people.
If you do it, you will have a ton of people breaking down your door.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm not joking.
If I lived down in the sunshine state, I would do it with ya EC. It would make a nice part time gig to supplement a conversion. Lol

Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #64
Bus Geek

Fingers crossed- I've got a few buses I'm biding on currently. Two bus projects going. A semi-fulltime job. But the temptation is too much to resist.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #65
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Fingers crossed- I've got a few buses I'm biding on currently. Two bus projects going. A semi-fulltime job. But the temptation is too much to resist.
Be careful, your bidding on a full time job!

Old 04-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #66
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
If I lived down in the sunshine state, I would do it with ya EC. It would make a nice part time gig to supplement a conversion. Lol

I figure a few bus flips and I can deck out my RYO bus like a palace!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
Be careful, your bidding on a full time job!

I manage to get most of my work done in 4 days but its brutal.
If I can get my lot in leesburg going maybe I can mow a hundred less yards a week!?

I mean, look at this-

Someone will put that on layaway and pay interest on it. This is a $2500 bus on a GOOD day. Probably more like $1000-$1500 at an auction.
Paint it white, pull the seats out, maybe the floor, title it as an RV and stick it on CL for six grand.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #68
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If I can get my lot in leesburg going maybe I can mow a hundred less yards a week!?

I mean, look at this-

Someone will put that on layaway and pay interest on it. This is a $2500 bus on a GOOD day. Probably more like $1000-$1500 at an auction.
Paint it white, pull the seats out, maybe the floor, title it as an RV and stick it on CL for six grand.
All day long.
I am lacking the space for such an endeavor... Get that lot set up!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:

I mean, look at this-

I just saw one of those get sold for change recently.. had to be like 1000 or 1500 I saw it went for... probably why BGA has it as a "low" 8k compared to their other stuff
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #70
Bus Geek

They want $32,000 for this 05 IC! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you buy this you deserve to have your money taken!

#1849 2005 IC RE300 DT466E Auto AirBrakes 13Row Air Conditioning High Top Florida Used Buses@ BGA School Buses, Inc. Hudson, FL
Old 07-16-2017, 07:31 AM   #71
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Oh my - While some of those look pretty nice - I can't believe the prices... they are ridiculously high - and the "added services" are just plain thievery...
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 AM   #72
Bus Geek

ECCB - and 15K for a BE with a VT-365!!! AND NO A/C
Old 07-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
Oh my - While some of those look pretty nice - I can't believe the prices... they are ridiculously high - and the "added services" are just plain thievery...
For those prices they oughta paint it whatever color you like, do a FULL service, install new tires, deliver it, and give you a lifetime gas card free! anyone that can afford these thirty thousand dollar buses could obviously afford to simply call Bluebird or Thomas and order a bus setup however they want it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ECCB - and 15K for a BE with a VT-365!!! AND NO A/C
A real "bargain" lol
I'll have a couple buses for sale this fall. At real bargain prices compared to this pack of thieves!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #74
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
As always. YouTube skoolie video -> people with too much time and money -> equals those prices.
There has to be people out there paying that much when they keep on raising prices.

Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #75
Bus Crazy

You are all forgetting the fact that there is an entire segment of the population that has no mechanical skill and no desire to learn any mechanical skill. They believe they are getting what they are paying for. This is the same segment that will purchase a bus from a dealer and drop it off at a converter and then post videos about their skoolie lifestyle. I hold no ill will to these people. If you are patient and thorough you can find an excellent bus that will fit your needs at a price you can afford.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #76
Bus Geek

Buying a used bus at a dealer doesn't mean they won't break down 200 miles down the road. Or have a ton of repairs to make.
You need to be just as mechanically knowledgeable buying a used bus from a dealer as you would be buying sight unseen from an auction.
Its a crap shoot either way, so I say go the sensible, affordable route.

But you guys are right- its the "i just saw a tiny house on hgtv" crowd that pay such puke-inducing prices.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #77
Bus Geek

Quote:
You are all forgetting the fact that there is an entire segment of the population that has no mechanical skill and no desire to learn any mechanical skill. They believe they are getting what they are paying for. This is the same segment that will purchase a bus from a dealer and drop it off at a converter and then post videos about their skoolie lifestyle. I hold no ill will to these people. If you are patient and thorough you can find an excellent bus that will fit your needs at a price you can afford.

its a capitalist society so all the power to them.. to BGA's credit, they sell many busses to exporters who seem to have nearly endless funds... well look at what we pay for coffee here in the states.,. and we drink lots of it... busses end up on coffee farms.. they can afford 10-20k for a bus that the exporter doesnt have to deal with... some exporters buy from auctions as we know too but many buy from southern dealers..

I do feel as though i got a Bargain on my BGA bus at being under 7K, but like mentioned it wasnt any different than an auction bus.. last year i needed a bus for some projects and i needed it in service fairly quickly..

due to some NDA's I couldnt really discuss the actual DEV projects i was using it for.. however i bought it, had it serviced, painted, etc.. and maybe i had too much $$ in that bus however ive more than 3X the $$ I have in it due to the testing and development it allowed me to do. and its not done yet .. so for me in that spot even with my maiden voyage breakdown.. the one-stop-shop approach time-is-money is what I needed..

everyone's idea is also relative.. the 2 friends of mine whom for close to 10 years I drove their 'Camper' to florida and ohio and back for them each year.. sometimes twice.. claimed they were going "camping".. in a 45 foot converted Prevost (they ordered it brand new in 03)..

-Christopher
Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #78
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
its a capitalist society so all the power to them.. to BGA's credit, they sell many busses to exporters who seem to have nearly endless funds... well look at what we pay for coffee here in the states.,. and we drink lots of it... busses end up on coffee farms.. they can afford 10-20k for a bus that the exporter doesnt have to deal with... some exporters buy from auctions as we know too but many buy from southern dealers..

I do feel as though i got a Bargain on my BGA bus at being under 7K, but like mentioned it wasnt any different than an auction bus.. last year i needed a bus for some projects and i needed it in service fairly quickly..

due to some NDA's I couldnt really discuss the actual DEV projects i was using it for.. however i bought it, had it serviced, painted, etc.. and maybe i had too much $$ in that bus however ive more than 3X the $$ I have in it due to the testing and development it allowed me to do. and its not done yet .. so for me in that spot even with my maiden voyage breakdown.. the one-stop-shop approach time-is-money is what I needed..

everyone's idea is also relative.. the 2 friends of mine whom for close to 10 years I drove their 'Camper' to florida and ohio and back for them each year.. sometimes twice.. claimed they were going "camping".. in a 45 foot converted Prevost (they ordered it brand new in 03)..

-Christopher
I agree Christopher. I couldn't afford to buy a bus from them, but I am not mad at them. They charge what the market will bare.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #79
Bus Geek

im all about options.. and education.. if people have the time and are willing to learn then it stands to save them a ton of money..

threads like this are good in that they give people options.. or at least show the contrast.. we do see good bussesat good prices from dealers sometimes.. and we have all seen the postings of WTF? for some of the auction bids where obviously people got into a bidding war..

the perception of price... people watch TV, read pinterest and think "how cool my very own school bus camper".. and the also read the local news that comes home with the school kids.. "district spends 500K on 4 brand new busses". so they see a 12 year old bus with price of 15K on it and think "that seems a bit steep...".. they go to camping-world "75K for an RV? that's crazy".. 15k for a bus doesnt sound so bad...

hopefully they come here or one of the other skoolie resources and learn that they can get a really nice bus for half that or less... but many wont.. who has the prettiest website and easiest sounding experiences? thats where many will go..

-Christopher