Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Blowouts

Notice no one was wearing a seat belt!
Oops, posted in wrong place.... thought i was in everything else, happens alot to us old farts.....

http://www.wric.com/story/15087953/acci ... -i-64-west

UPDATE from Virginia State Police:

New Kent Co. ? One man is dead following a single vehicle crash that took place Friday morning July 15, 2011. At 9:41 a.m., Virginia State Police Trooper Miles was called to the scene on Interstate 64 westbound approximately 1 mile west of Route 106, at the 209 mile marker.

A 2000 Freightliner tractor was pulling a 2003 ALFA Camper Trailer when the front left tire of the tractor blew. The vehicle ran off the left side of the roadway and struck several trees before overturning onto the right side.

The driver, Gary L. Charcalia, 49, died at the scene. The front seat passenger, Brenda L. Charcalia, 43, suffered serious non-life threatening injuries and three other teenagers suffered minor injuries. All were transported by ambulance to VCU Medical Center in Richmond, Va. No one in the vehicle was wearing a safety belt at the time of the crash.

The New Kent County Sheriff's Office assisted at the scene with traffic control. Traffic was diverted off of Interstate 64 westbound at Exit 211 and 214 onto Route 60. The roadway was re-opened at 2:30 p.m. this afternoon. The family and family friend were traveling from Virginia Beach back to Erie, Pa. at the time of the crash, which remains under investigation.

Just in case any of us need to know..... good video on How to handle a blowout....

Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Blowouts

great video! sad to believe that a single blowout cost that man his life..
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Blowouts

Great Video. I will have my daughter watch it (and a few others on that page). I haven't ever had a front tire blow out on any vehicle I was driving. Back when I got my first car, I had a boyfriend who insisted I learn to handle it. So we used to go out to the Indian River at low tide and I would practice how to handle the car on the flats when it hydroplaned (fun). Very handy for when I lost traction on ice for the first time. I was always taught to not speed up or slow down on a flat (rear). Just keep it steady and slow down once I had the car under control. That is what I did when we had a flat less than a mile after we go on the interstate winter before last. One of the Class C's tires had sat on a rock all summer. We knew it was under there as we could just see the edge of the rock. We figured it wasn't all that big and wouldn't hurt the tire. But that was the tire that blew out. I have dual tires on the Class C so I was riding on the inner tire. We had just checked & aired up all the tires too. Now we pay attention to the site we are pulling into to see if there is a rock that a tire may end up sitting on.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote