Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR
brakes and need pedal.

1969 chevy bluebird.
Question...... does anyone know if the clutch/brake pedal assembly is the same as one from a pickup truck? or a bigger truck? Like a C-50 or 60 series chevy truck?
I've got brake issues and almost blew an intersection and actually BENT my brake pedal arm to keep from hitting a ladys SUV. I think I may be also in the market for a brake booster as well.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Re: brakes and need pedal.

when blue bird orders a frame from chevy ,, its all chevy ,, all bb gets is the frame and the hood and fenders dash,so all bb doe's is set a body on the frame.so if your bus is a c50 or c60 any full size truck parts,of that class will fit that bus ,you follow what iam say ?the go's for any long nose bus ,and now the frame on flat nose's are come in from the manafact and they just ad the body.....

i use to deliver frame's to bb from chevy,so this is how i know this.....hope this helps

be safe and buy a new booster,,,,no bone yards boosters,,,how wood you like to drive a firetruck with booster brakes an ??? 900 gals of water pushing you ???? you see what iam say ???? be safe
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Skoolie

yep! yep! yep! I definitely hear ya Keith! I will be checking on a new booster today as well. 17,400 lbs dont stop so well with just ME power!! LOL
On the return trip home it sort of feels like the booster is trying to help now. Maybe its loosening up from sitting so long?? I dont know but I will feel better with a new one under there thats for sure.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Skoolie

sooo... can I assume that the clutch/brake pedal assy is the same in a pickup as in a c-50 series truck???

IYAAYAS
Old 09-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Skoolie

just had a closer look and i think my answer is no.

IYAAYAS
Old 09-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
Bus Nut

IIRC everything in the cab is the same as a stick shift p/u cab of the same year except for the floorpan itself, the grill and fenders are different and i think the hood is also shorter. you may be able to get a rebuilt vacuum booster for the brakes instead of having to buy it new
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 94
Coachwork: b/b
Chassis: tc2000
Engine: 5.9

a pickup is totally dif from a c50 an c60,i think the biggest pickup is a c30 means it's a 1 ton pickup an c50 is a 1.1/2ton and a c60 is 2 ton. so even if they look the same there not....... ok

its like a ford ,,350 is a 1 ton 450 1.1/2 ton 550 1.3/4 ton than you get into the b600 b700.. ok

keith
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

A big bus/truck needs either air brakes or boosted hydraulics. There should also be a vacuum reservoir to store vacuum for the booster when the engine isn't producing. Old timers like me, Smitty and others can remember vacuum wipers that stopped for lack of vacuum when passing or climbing a hill. While you aren't likely to floor the throttle while braking, there may not be enough vacuum produced at idle.

Make sure if you have a reservoir that it is not leaking, or hasn't been bypassed by a previous owner. Also, there may be an electric vacuum pump in the system. On some trucks if you turn the key on, and step on the brake pedal without starting the engine, you hear noise from the pump.

So what I'm saying is, check the whole vacuum system, not just the booster. Personally, I would be a little nervous without a vacuum gauge and possibly a low vacuum warning light or buzzer in something the size (weight) of a skoolie.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Skoolie

I found a brake/clutch pedal assy on E-Bay and on scrutinizing the pics and then looking at mine, it looks to me that the shaft that the brake and clutch pedal pivot on is considerably larger on the bus than the pickup truck one. Thats what I was referring to earlier when I said I thought my answer would be no. I think I am gonna just take the pedal out and weld on some bracing to it. It looks as though when it tries to bend its bending ot twisting to the right towards the gas pedal.
I had a good look today laying on the driveway under the bus and looked at the vacuum system. I found I have not one but TWO boosters under there. There is TWO tanks like Redbear was talking about for resivoirs. I DO have a vacuum guage. At idle the vacuum guage reads between 20 and 25... is it pounds?? I held the brake pedal and it seems to hold the pressure ok. When you shut the engine off it will bleed off real slowly And if you push the pedal witht he engine not running, you can hear a whooshing noise coming from under the dash or maybe its coming from underneath the bus. I dont remember hearing it witht he engine running though. Maybe the engine noise just drowns it out. Also there is some sort of buzzer that works SOMETIMES. I have always assumed it had something to do with the back door. I found a broken wire under the dash the other day. I think I may reconnect it and see if my buzzer works again. There is also something on the dash that looks to be some kind of light. I dont think I have ever seen it work.
HOWEVER... while laying on the ground I noticed brake fluid on the inside of the rear tires. HOOOOUUUUUSTON!!! WE HAVE A PROBLEM! So I went and bought me a 20 ton bottle jack and removed the rear tires and brake drum. Yes I blocked the wheels and have blocks under the axle. I prefer not to attempt to bench press a 17,000lb. bus! A friend came over and helped me figure out how to get the drum off. Pretty simple really but DAMN!! that drum and hub is HEAVY!!! We removed both the wheel cylinders from the passenger side and I think only one side of the top cylinder was actually functioning. Tomorrow I am going to run to the truck parts shop and get me a pair of new ones. That ought to help me to stop a bunch!! And then when we get the first side done we are going to tackle the other side as well. I barely could get the drivers side cylinders to bleed any fluid when I tried to bleed the brakes before so I am pretty sure we will find one or both of the cylinders are bad over there as well. If nothing else, at least I will know all 4 cylinders are good!

IYAAYAS
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Skoolie

And yep Redbear, I remember the vacuum wipers. I once had a 57 Chevy with them on it. I HATED driving that car in the rain! When the windshield would get too much rain on it to see, I would slow down and it would make them work for a couple seconds.

IYAAYAS
Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Spartan (I think)
Engine: Cummins BT-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LR
I had a good look today laying on the driveway under the bus and looked at the vacuum system. I found I have not one but TWO boosters under there. There is TWO tanks like Redbear was talking about for resivoirs. I DO have a vacuum guage. At idle the vacuum guage reads between 20 and 25... is it pounds??
Nope, not pounds, actually inches of mercury (usually abbreviated in/Hg). Believe it or not, this is the same measurement they use for barometric pressure when forecasting severity of hurricanes, etc. However, that is another story. The short answer is that 20-25 in./Hg is adequate for your vehicle since maximum vacuum you could produce under any normal circumstances would be about 30 in./Hg. That is as close to a perfect vacuum as you will accomplish without visiting outer space or a cryogenic vacuum chamber. From your description of sight, sounds, results, it would appear that your vacuum system and reservoir are working properly, now finish the repair on cylinders and such and you should have great brakes. Don't forget to do a final bleed after all repairs, and check that fluid is freely flowing from bleeder screws. If it isn't, you may also have collapsed lines which should be immediately replaced. I wish you the best, keep 'em rollin'.
Lee
Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
Skoolie

I'm in Kansas. No mountain passes here. Since my bus only goes 45 mph I dont forsee any long cross country trips any time soon. Until later when I buy the right lottery ticket and can afford to have 2 speed rear end put in or something.
Its raining out right now so I really dont like the idea of creeping around under the bus today in the rain water running down the driveway.
We changed out ALL 4 wheel cylinders yesterday. Now I just have to run a couple new brake lines and see how she stops! I also took off the diff cover and drained the oil out and re sealed it since it was leaking. Just need to refill the diff before I drive.
Wow those cylinders all had crap and to use a technical term from Tygercub, full of "GACK" rusty goo, almost like peanut butter in there. I really dont see how I was stopping at all!!

IYAAYAS
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Skoolie

Thanks for the clarification Wulf. I've always wondered what it was measuring on the vac guage. I still wasnt completely convinced that the booster or boosters as I found were bad. something just didnt ring right with me on that. We shall see later today or tomorrow when I go for a test drive. !!

IYAAYAS
Old 09-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Skoolie

Got the rear brakes fixed!
4 new rear wheel cylinders...$300
1 big ol' stupid socket to get the axle retaining rings out...$65
2 new brake lines and brake fluid and some other stuff...$20
being able to stop...PRICELESS!!!
We found crap in all 4 rear wheel cylinders and I wonder how I was stopping at all!!! replaced them and bled out the air. Still need to do it again but I have the black marks in my driveway to prove she will stop now! yee hawww!!!

IYAAYAS
Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
Skoolie

true that! I'm almost afraid of what I might find though. LOL I think I need to let the bank account build back up again before I do that. I really hadnt expected to spend that much $$$ on rear cylinders!!

IYAAYAS