Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Bus for sale, FL

You need to watch your height with the stacks. We had a 24" wide Whirlpool Thin-twin stack (110vAC Dryer) in NC. We gave it to one of my young cousins when we left. It could not be stood up against the side walls in the bus. So I have squeezed out enough space to allow for a standard top load washer and LP dryer (used of course.... Washer will set on the floor between the shower plumbing wall and rear wheel well... dryer will set on top of the wheel well and still allow room to build a shallow computer/printer "desk" off the end facing the back). I figure I can get a used set for 1/2 the price of a new top load washer. There seems to be a lack of LP gas dryers out here. I used my daughters new front load washer and did not like it. Hard to open the door once it starts filling with water to toss in that sock that was trying to run away! I also like to soak stuff overnight at times and I could not see doing that with the minimal water in a front load washer. It did wash well through. As for the all in ones, unless you get a vented, they take all night to dry a load. Even vented takes a long time to dry. I don't like what I read about them. It costs me $3.50 to wash/dry a load of clothes at the current campground. I have paid far more and fed the dryers extra quarters to get the clothes to slightly damp-dry in other places. That is the problem with using laundromats... you never know if you will get good washer/dryers or if you will simply wind up with damp still-dirty clothes. I now use the Shout Colour Catcher in my laundry. Works great to "catch" the clothing dyes from a previous wash. I've had several loads where a colour catcher sheet came out of the washer blue or pink and all that was in the load was white sheets. I've got a lot of paint/work clothes by washing in laundromats. Lots of bleach stains (when I didn't use bleach) or blue/pink dye stains on clothes that shouldn't have gotten it on. I run such small loads of laundry, I tend to wash EVERYTHING in one load plus the colour catcher sheet. Works for me. I will only use the washer (and dishwasher) when on full hook-ups. We will plumb the washer to bypass the grey tank. For me, a dish washer (18") will use less water to run a full pots & pans cycle that for me to wash by hand. I know because I worked out the water use/waste years ago for the Eagle. I measured water for two weeks to get a good average and a maximum amount as well. For now, I will build a base cabinet that can be pulled out later to install a apt sized dishwasher. Just have to find a used one (found a hardly used one in the Salvation Army store few weeks back but no $$ to buy it with).

PS: We don't like paper plates. We will stick with our old Corelle plates we used to use in our old popup.

Hey, we are building a Customized bus for US!!!!!!! To each their own!
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
...Thanks to the Class C, we knew pretty much how we wanted to convert the bus. Living in the bus with minimal work done on it has also helped us tweak our floor plan. I do abhor the poor construction and the cheap materials (which is also a learning experience). I do think that 99% of the manufactured RVs are unsafe to dangerous. But we sure did learn a lot so don't put them down too much. They do have a good service to provide. Plus you can get a feel for Rving if you have not done much of it....
Yes indeed!

The only "RV" appliance I'm seriously considering is a slide-in cooktop like this one:
Actually, I'm thinking about selling the range in my Winnebago and replacing it with a cooktop that fits the counter cutout and installing my home microwave in the "hole" beneath. The motor home has been in my family 36 years and its oven has never been used! A microwave would be another story. The "oven hole" is quite a bit larger (taller) than the microwave, giving the appliance plenty of "breathing" space. My girlfriend is rather short so a high mount isn't good. Mind you, this is a vacation rig, not a fulltimer. The kitchen countertop space will be about twice what typical small-to-medium RVs have. Lack of counter space is a pain.

The dorm/small apartment refrigerator size will be about 6 cubic feet, the same size as the RV's reefer, which has proven just right; I'm just not that into "Supermarkets Across America" tours.

Lorna, thanx for the heads-up about the height of stacking laundry units. That could dictate my roof-raise. Ironically, you posted that right around the time I was looking at them in a Lowe's store. If we do without the machines, I'll plan plenty of wardrobe space. My GF and I aren't into searching for Laundromats, either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suburban_cooktop.jpg (6.0 KB, 900 views)
Old 03-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunky Bus
... The motor home has been in my family 36 years and its oven has never been used!
Most folks use RV ovens to store their pots & pans in. My daughter wants to replace the Class C's range with a cooktop and put a microwave under it. She is also vertically challenged (4'11"). She also uses the counter top toaster oven a lot. Great for a single person.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

some of the late 1980 and early 1990's s/s came with the 110v 1 piece stacked washer and dryer.. The height should not be a problem in the 6'6" skoolies... One of my friends scrapped his 34' one last year... n i shoulda taken the unit cause it woulda been a freebee... However, i know they dry slow, and will only wash a small load,, but ... we only bathe once a year.. and wash a load of clothes every 16 weeks...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
but ... we only bathe once a year.. and wash a load of clothes every 16 weeks...
I thought that was you I could smell.
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Old 05-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit

It looks like the forum was " Sea Gulled " by Hip Hop when She Didn't get a stampede of buyers for Her bus and was told Her price was Way Out Of Line , as She hasn't posted since March 10th .
Bob
Ps
There are a lot of good tips in this thread as to what works and what doesn't , but You have to read a lot of threads on here and flag the ones You are interested in .
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S-600
Engine: 360 V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
It looks like the forum was " Sea Gulled "...
OK, I bite...Say what? I've "Googled" the expression "sea gulled," but none of the definitions seemed to fit and nobody else has asked.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 AM   #39
Site Team

My guess would be "massively shiat upon" that's what I think of from the old days of walking on the beach and seagulls fly over....people laugh and "look he/she has been seagulled"
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Hiphippie, sorry your start here was rough.
Ditto what Skunky Bus said... I have been the recipient of such venomous rabble as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I see things like "limo tint" windows and think..."damn another heat sink"
Quote:
I dunno...My girlfriend had a Plymouth Voyager with [medium-dark] tinted glass (people in it were still visible to outsiders) and it surrre made a difference in comfort for the person on the sunny side of the van.

You can be "brand new" to Skoolie.net and still teach the older dogs new tricks. How do you like the limo tint? Does it have a benefit like my g.f.'s Voyager mentioned above? It looks like "5gypsykings" didn't have tint on it and wonder if you got to feel a difference before-vs.-after adding it.
I know I loved it on my old B-700... I did 5% all the way around, except for a few I just spray-painted black because I ran out of film...

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 BlueBird 64 passenger (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)

Check out my original music page ("Allergic To Air" on Facebook) and YouTube channel (AllergicToAirMusic)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote