Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Who is "n*****b"? Currently $2,201. Noob? Is that you?

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Most of the older DD's I have seen with a supercharger also came with an emergency shutdown plate. My old 6v53 had one.

If you let any diesel get sloppy (badly worn rings and crankcase blowby being the main culprits)...they can indeed run away. Just don't let it get that far gone. A simple compression test will pretty much tell the tale on ring/cylinder condition.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
someone loan me around five or six grand, pretty pleeeease??
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #24

You guys did see where the mileage was missing another 4. It's really 195,494
jalmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalmat View Post
You guys did see where the mileage was missing another 4. It's really 195,494
Just barely getting broken in.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:25 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Most of the older DD's I have seen with a supercharger also came with an emergency shutdown plate. My old 6v53 had one.

If you let any diesel get sloppy (badly worn rings and crankcase blowby being the main culprits)...they can indeed run away. Just don't let it get that far gone. A simple compression test will pretty much tell the tale on ring/cylinder condition.
I just always thought the 2 cycles were worse because of how they oil vs the 4 cycle diesels.. but yeah you are right any diesel getting excessive oil in the cyclinders can run away.. im thinking berfore hand thered be telltale signs like oil usage, smoke, ?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #27
Bus Geek

All DD's smoke some and use a bit of oil. Nature of the beast.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IDK, man but if I didn't already have a bus, I'd buy this one without the slightest hesitation... would even go up a couple thou.
I guess I don't see this as a "transit". More like a CLASSIC, with a bit of bookmobile thrown in.
If I didn't already have one! I like the one pictured
I had picked out a 69 chevy with a 454 and 10 speed manual (i could have worked on every bit of that one)and when It was time to go to the bus barn i was stuck at work and my wife recruited the/her father in law to bring the bus home? when they got there they said the upper management said it had to many problems liability/insurance wise for them to let us have it. So they had free pick of the used lot and couldnt call me cause of where i was at and they had sit there for 2-3 hours while the barn went through what they picked with the full check up and the mech.s supposedly replaced some o-rings somewhere before it could be released. I did get full maintenance records,build specs,wiring diagrams and most of all cause it was delivered to the barn brand new.
That's how the Jolly Roger was/is a ford b-700 with an 8.2 and a545 with 6.5 rear and I will make what I have work. My two boys named him.
I did go find the man at the bus barn and discussed the 69 I picked out and just happened to be there as the DOT had equipment there to demo and scrap.my 69?
I wanted that one cause I knew the main power train and the hydraulic brake system.and loved the look
Now I have the exact opposite but have grown up with diesel farm equipment and have done compressed air for many years. Sorry if this is to long but save your money and pick the power train you can work with from the start. I am 90% inside and 50%under as far as storage. Still need genny and batteries and can only do 49mph because of my original power package and lack of money/decisions.
But I will run the back roads all the way to texas and I can do a little bit better than a tractor so don't honk at the back door cause I won't ever here ya.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #29
Bus Nut

1975 GMC Bus in PA

This bus is getting lots of interest. They updated the comments to show the mileage is actually 195k, not 19k. Also have several questions answered at the bottom of the page people have asked. I see this thing going for allot of $$$$ in the end. If it has been maintained since new then the 6V71 engine should be in good shape. From what I've read regular maintenance is the key to keeping them in good health.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...kC8FS1Mw.email
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
LOL, do you need a commercial driver's license for this bus?? ONLY IF YOU INTEND TO DRIVE IT COMMERCIALLY FOR COMPENSATION!!!

I absolutely loathe uninformed people passing off partial knowledge as the stone rule.....
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #31
Bus Geek

It cracks me up, some of the questions I see on GovDeals. And some of the answers as well.
I may end up at the pawn shop to raise some money if this stays near its current price.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:51 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
LOL, do you need a commercial driver's license for this bus?? ONLY IF YOU INTEND TO DRIVE IT COMMERCIALLY FOR COMPENSATION!!!

I absolutely loathe uninformed people passing off partial knowledge as the stone rule.....
I saw those comments too......funny!
Old 05-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
I may end up at the pawn shop to raise some money if this stays near its current price.
There are already over 25 bids on it and 7 days left. I expect the price to shoot up over the coming days.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Only 3800 bucks so far...

9 hrs left. Will be watching!
Old 05-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Only 3800 bucks so far...

9 hrs left. Will be watching!
My buddy is willing to lend me the $$$$ tol buy this, but I told him that without being able to inspect the bus thoroughly it's too much of a gamble at the higher price.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #36

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:

So are you saying you need or don't need a CDL?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
No CDL is needed for private use in most states. Check your state DMV for the absolute answer.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:59 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post

It doesn't matter what state you live in or are licensed to drive in. If the vehicle is registered as a private use vehicle, no CDL is needed.......

I can buy a kenworth tractor, put on private insurance, add a normal state license plate, and drive it around my neighborhood without a cdl.

Commercial license is for a business purpose only. If you bought the bus to put in front of your bar to attract attention, and it is registered with your business, THEN you need a cdl. If you become a limousine driver for a company, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a school bus driver for the local school district, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a FEDEX driver delivering packages, THEN you need a CDL.

There is not a single state that says, if you buy a previously commercially used vehicle, but you are using it for private purposes, you must have a CDL.

HOWEVER, we all know there are specialized endorsement for certain vehicles.... air brake, wider loads, longer loads, higher loads etc.

So, if you buy this bus from the fire department and change it to an RV, you do not need a CDL. (If you make it a mobile video game LAN party-mobile out of it, then yes, you need a CDL)
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:03 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Well said.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
It doesn't matter what state you live in or are licensed to drive in. If the vehicle is registered as a private use vehicle, no CDL is needed.......

I can buy a kenworth tractor, put on private insurance, add a normal state license plate, and drive it around my neighborhood without a cdl.

Commercial license is for a business purpose only. If you bought the bus to put in front of your bar to attract attention, and it is registered with your business, THEN you need a cdl. If you become a limousine driver for a company, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a school bus driver for the local school district, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a FEDEX driver delivering packages, THEN you need a CDL.

There is not a single state that says, if you buy a previously commercially used vehicle, but you are using it for private purposes, you must have a CDL.

HOWEVER, we all know there are specialized endorsement for certain vehicles.... air brake, wider loads, longer loads, higher loads etc.

So, if you buy this bus from the fire department and change it to an RV, you do not need a CDL. (If you make it a mobile video game LAN party-mobile out of it, then yes, you need a CDL)
Doc, I never considered this previously in regards to Class 8 tractor trucks (Volvo, Kenworth, etc). Then why do people who use class 8 trucks to pull 5th wheel rv's worry so much about having to get them retitled as rv's to be able to drive them? They're big on the Escapee's forum......there's a section devoted just to class 8 trucks. So you're saying if I buy a used Volvo tractor w/ a sleeper cab I can register it as a private truck and not need to change the title or need a CDL? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this in all my research. Closest I found was an excerpt someone posted on here about a change in the federal DOT regs a few years ago basically stating this, but seems most states are not up to speed on it.