Old 05-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
It cracks me up, some of the questions I see on GovDeals. And some of the answers as well.
I may end up at the pawn shop to raise some money if this stays near its current price.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:51 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
LOL, do you need a commercial driver's license for this bus?? ONLY IF YOU INTEND TO DRIVE IT COMMERCIALLY FOR COMPENSATION!!!

I absolutely loathe uninformed people passing off partial knowledge as the stone rule.....
I saw those comments too......funny!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I may end up at the pawn shop to raise some money if this stays near its current price.
There are already over 25 bids on it and 7 days left. I expect the price to shoot up over the coming days.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Only 3800 bucks so far...

9 hrs left. Will be watching!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Only 3800 bucks so far...

9 hrs left. Will be watching!
My buddy is willing to lend me the $$$$ tol buy this, but I told him that without being able to inspect the bus thoroughly it's too much of a gamble at the higher price.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
LOL, do you need a commercial driver's license for this bus?? ONLY IF YOU INTEND TO DRIVE IT COMMERCIALLY FOR COMPENSATION!!!

I absolutely loathe uninformed people passing off partial knowledge as the stone rule.....

So are you saying you need or don't need a CDL?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
No CDL is needed for private use in most states. Check your state DMV for the absolute answer.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post

It doesn't matter what state you live in or are licensed to drive in. If the vehicle is registered as a private use vehicle, no CDL is needed.......

I can buy a kenworth tractor, put on private insurance, add a normal state license plate, and drive it around my neighborhood without a cdl.

Commercial license is for a business purpose only. If you bought the bus to put in front of your bar to attract attention, and it is registered with your business, THEN you need a cdl. If you become a limousine driver for a company, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a school bus driver for the local school district, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a FEDEX driver delivering packages, THEN you need a CDL.

There is not a single state that says, if you buy a previously commercially used vehicle, but you are using it for private purposes, you must have a CDL.

HOWEVER, we all know there are specialized endorsement for certain vehicles.... air brake, wider loads, longer loads, higher loads etc.

So, if you buy this bus from the fire department and change it to an RV, you do not need a CDL. (If you make it a mobile video game LAN party-mobile out of it, then yes, you need a CDL)
Old 05-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Well said.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
It doesn't matter what state you live in or are licensed to drive in. If the vehicle is registered as a private use vehicle, no CDL is needed.......

I can buy a kenworth tractor, put on private insurance, add a normal state license plate, and drive it around my neighborhood without a cdl.

Commercial license is for a business purpose only. If you bought the bus to put in front of your bar to attract attention, and it is registered with your business, THEN you need a cdl. If you become a limousine driver for a company, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a school bus driver for the local school district, THEN you need a CDL. If you are a FEDEX driver delivering packages, THEN you need a CDL.

There is not a single state that says, if you buy a previously commercially used vehicle, but you are using it for private purposes, you must have a CDL.

HOWEVER, we all know there are specialized endorsement for certain vehicles.... air brake, wider loads, longer loads, higher loads etc.

So, if you buy this bus from the fire department and change it to an RV, you do not need a CDL. (If you make it a mobile video game LAN party-mobile out of it, then yes, you need a CDL)
Doc, I never considered this previously in regards to Class 8 tractor trucks (Volvo, Kenworth, etc). Then why do people who use class 8 trucks to pull 5th wheel rv's worry so much about having to get them retitled as rv's to be able to drive them? They're big on the Escapee's forum......there's a section devoted just to class 8 trucks. So you're saying if I buy a used Volvo tractor w/ a sleeper cab I can register it as a private truck and not need to change the title or need a CDL? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this in all my research. Closest I found was an excerpt someone posted on here about a change in the federal DOT regs a few years ago basically stating this, but seems most states are not up to speed on it.