Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The good part is by time you get home you're going to be fairly comfortable with taking trips in your bus. I see the compressor as more of a fluke.
I also see it as a fluke.. like I ay it gave me no signs of going bad.. I had my head under the hood of that bus several times with it idling.. i could hear the compressor pumping and even at slow idle always kept enough pressure in the tanks that the air drier would purge.. (120 PSI). I have a feeling the unloader rod which is controlled by the governer is the culprit..

had my toolbox been with me I probably wouldve pulled the head off the compressor and took a stab at it.. if these compressors are built like the multi-stage A/C compressors i worked on then the unloader actuator can stick.. or the reed valves are gone.. no way to tell until you take it apart..

and for reference to those who rip apart stuff in the field.. a double layer of brown paper grocery sack in a pinch makes a pretty good gasket for various accessories... a piece of Plastic grocery sack used right can take the place of teflon tape for pipe thread fittings...

since one of the main reasons I got the bus is for road trips, its a good learning experience for me.. for one, learning to use and work with mobile services, also to know what tools and supplies im going to want to carry with me...

fortunately we found a part for this and it will be here tomorrow.. but while ive been shut down ive done more research and taken notes.. talked to people.. as to ordering parts and shipping them to a hotel..

the internet opens up a whole new plethora of parts availability for our busses when we travel.. if we take my breakdown as an example.. lets say I had wanted to try and fix this completely myself.. I called mobile repair as it seemed the right thing to do at the time..

I could have checked in this room ordered myself some tools .. nice ones.. diagnosed the problem .. and then ordered myself the part.. and put it on..

in a bit larger city I couldve taken an UBER or a LYFT (or a bus) to town bought some tools and got going.. NAPA sells commercial truck parts and still has nice pretty pictures of them in books and online... order a part.. it lands in town and the NAPA truck brings it to you..

the Nice hotel manager offered me the keys to her truck this morning... (southern hospitality is real)...

now in retrospect calling mobile service was the right thing for me as im in the middle of a big work project.. so let them deal with the bus.. as i complete my work...

and eastcoast is correct I like an adventure.. no not in the sense of camping in tents or climbing mountains or rocks.. but in the sense of moving forward despite what backward forces are pushing...

I once travelled on a trip with a few guys to florida.. I drove.. we took my 1976 Cadillac convertible.. we got to st pete beach and a few hours later it started to pour.. and pour and pour.. next day rain.. the other 3 guys were totally distraught.. so I said "look its perfect in South beach".. 'oh but our hotel is here and we planned our trip here and what are going to do..this is awful.. our trip is ruined..'.. I tried to get them to go anywhere.. to the mall to miami..the movies.. anything.. they just wanted to cry that vacation was ruined... I got up early in the morning the second day... quietly packed my bag.. called enterprise rental, (yes they really will pick you up)... rented a car.. left the keys on the credenza with a note.. 'gone to SMILE in SoBE instead of FROWN in st pete - Call me when you quit cryin..'.. took my caddy and did just that... 50 miles away from st pete it was sunny and bright and my top was down.. I always said "dayum I soooo never want to be those guys".... and trust me every last one of them could have easily afforded to joined me in SoBe.. its more understandable if you have saved your pennies for a trip and then something happens as you cannot easily replace that...

I feel im lucky.. very lucky.. I have my health and the means to smile when i can... it may not always be that way... but by gosh im gonna enjoy it while i have it..

thats what i like about this forum... its about people following their dreams... no matter what or how you are building your bus or what you plan to use it for... I mean look at the guy who bought a bus only to find out every frame member was cracked.. and so he is making a cool as hell flatbed toy hauler out of it... or the one that blew 12 quarts of oil on the ground in 300 miles.. he got it back together and cleaned it all up and is raising the roof ... everyone here is following some dream... tony house, camper, top end motorhome, old school simplistic style, Party bus for their friends, mobile vet labs, piano haulers, DEV labs, Vans, you name it the dreams are coming real!!

none of us here are the ones who are going to be sitting on a front porch some day saying " I wish I had bought that bus I always dreamed of...."...
-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Nooooo, we're going to be sitting on the back porch of the bus looking at different views whenever we want. This is a different class of people than the average.
It's a fun project and even though we don't all agree on what should or shouldn't be in our buses, it's very interesting to hear why people choose what they do for their buses.

Anybody else have hummingbirds coming inside? They seem really friendly this year. They aren't good around lots of windows.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #63
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Either your starting to see things or you need to hang some feeders off of your mirrors? Never mind if you see them then feedem? At least you'll have some company and if you feedem then they won't attack you later when you are seeing other things.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #64
Bus Geek

hummingbirds are awesome!!!! I Love those little guys!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Nooooo, we're going to be sitting on the back porch of the bus looking at different views whenever we want. This is a different class of people than the average.
It's a fun project and even though we don't all agree on what should or shouldn't be in our buses, it's very interesting to hear why people choose what they do for their buses.

Anybody else have hummingbirds coming inside? They seem really friendly this year. They aren't good around lots of windows.
When I first started on mine I came out one morning & there was a Humming Bird sitting against the front window, poor little guy had beaten himself half to death, he got right on my hand & let me show him the way out
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:15 PM   #66
Bus Geek

I leave the house doors open during the day and they fly in and get stuck in the windows. So far no dead ones. They seem to comprehend when you take them out and turn them loose.
They've been coming in the bus lately too, but they don't get stuck when I've got doors open at both ends. They don't seem to fly into the tinted windows, although several species seem to be hovering in front of the tinted windows to see their reflection. Love these windows.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #67
Bus Geek

I have extra large windows at home and they do hit the glass occasionally.. I have screens in all my windows now so they see the screens and fly away but if I dont get the screens put back in after winter soon enough they will fly into the house windows
-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #68
Bus Geek

Several times I've seen them fly through the house and try to go out the front door that has a screen on it and get their beak stuck.

This is a weird summer. My hops are starting to flower already.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #69
Bus Geek

I only open doors with screens... I hate wasps and flies and spiders n skeeters N such.. lolol
-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 06:57 PM   #70
Bus Geek

oh this was a thread about a bus wasnt it.. lol.. i learned that my bus interior is completely screwed togethwr with star screws and no rivets..
Old 05-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #71
Bus Geek

You lucky dog. Your panels will be in good condition, and resuable, if you remove them.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Quote:
You lucky dog. Your panels will be in good condition, and resuable, if you remove them.
the first 2 panels are a different material than the rest... they are dotted with tiny holes it looks like.. the rest are smooth.
-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If the front panels are pierced, they are designed to minimize the sound reflection from the engine. Very often it is stainless steel that is used on them.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #74
Bus Geek

All my ceiling panels are perforated all the way back, but I've got magnets hanging all over them. Not the good stuff.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:05 PM   #75
Bus Geek

yeah that DT-360 is a growly little bugger... but amazingly enough even with the AT545 it runs the bus along at 65 MPH.. slows a tad on the few hills ive had it but otherwise im actually amazed it runs 65..

well runs 65 when there is Air in the Brake tanks... not so much without air..

-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 10:18 PM   #76
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Wonder who the lucky owner of the GMC is.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #77
Bus Geek

I thought it was someone from here, but then they don't show the complete name on the auction site. I think it was n*****b.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #78
Bus Geek

im gonna guess abus like that you might see more on transitfans site. definitely a nice lookin rig.
-Christopher