Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2016, 05:30 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I was wrong about the class "B" CDL in my own state. I've seen it in the regs, that for personal use does not require an air brake endorsement. All my life I've been told I would have to have a class B license if I drove anything with air brakes. I was told that RV drivers had to get air brake endorsements on their licenses. Sometimes it easier to be wrong.
From what I hear crossing the border in various countries does require air brake endorsement, so it's a good backup plan if you plan to go international at all.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
NOT correct.. i had an in depth discussion with a real person in OHIO about CDL and about what requirements.. this person also recently lived in MICHIGAN so they knew their requirements too..

if you are registered as an RV / Motorhome no CDL needed...

if your Bus is a BUS still and in OHIO has LESS than 16 seat positions INSTALLED (including driver) and is LESS than GVWR 26001 lbs then NO CDL needed..
in MICHIGAN removing seats does not reduce capacity.. they go on DESIGN..

in OHIO if my bus is OVER 26000 lbs GVWR (thats the plate RATING.. not actual weight) then you need a CDL class B unless it is registered as an RV / Motorhome//

in OHIO you do NOT need a medical certificate with your CDL B if you are operating your vehicle within the state.. want to take it out of state? then you woiuld need to file a medical Cert,

in OHIO. if your vehicle requires a CDL and has air brakes you need an air brakes endorsement..

in OHIO if your vehicle has less than 16 seats AND is less than 26000 lbs GVWR you can register it as a standard passenger car... regardless of air brakes.. thats personal use..

in OHIO registering as an RV / Motorhome then you are NOT required for any CDL on any size vehicle and need no ebndorsements..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:53 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Went for $7500. Chump change for such a bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Went for $7500. Chump change for such a bus!
wow! be interesting to see if they keep it original or not
Old 05-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
NOT correct.. i had an in depth discussion with a real person in OHIO about CDL and about what requirements.. this person also recently lived in MICHIGAN so they knew their requirements too..
Remember- EVERY state is different when it comes to licenses. What goes in one state, doesn't necessarily go in another. USDOT CDL guidelines are just that, guidelines.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #46
Bus Geek

I agree each STATE is different.. like i pointed out the difference just between ohio and michigan, in ohio if you take out the seats your capacity is reduced.. in michigan they go on design capacity period...

-Christopher
Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Not trying to continue the pissing contest?? Build,insure,inspect and tag buy your states rules and as long as you are good in the state you live in they can't muck with you.(unless you let them).
I live In a military area and my state (not the bases) have a problem with the window tint allowed by other states? But as long as there license plate and all is good in that state. Then they can't fail it?
New discussion for military personell is that there vehicle has to be inspected in the state it is registered in every year (state money)which means that vehicle? Even a deployed man/woman owns has to do inspection in that state every year? Whether they are deployed for years or not???? because there is no set federal regulation (more money)
Got a knew to me truck 3-months ago from South Carolina and the bases had no problem but state inspection time last week I had to scrape the tint off to get an inspection but that was because the company put NC tags on it when they gave it to me.
I didn't care I was getting paid by the hour to get an inspection?
I hate to say it but there should be a slandered across the board? At least for me?
From NC to TEXAS!!!?
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #48
Bus Geek

thats part of the problem is that ervery state is different... so yes when you buy a vehicle across state lines things are different...

then there are the wierd things.. my bus was once titled in ohio so because of that when I retitle it back to ohio it does not ha e to be inspected.. i guess they feel because oit once passed ohio rules it still will...

then you have california.. look at the poor souls who buy vehicles in other states and take them to california only to find out they cannot pass california CARB regulations.. ..

or bu ya vehicle in a state that has no annual emisions inspectiopn and register it in a state that does only to find out it fails.. yet you think it shoudl pass since it was on the road for years in another state...
-Christopher
-Christopher
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #49
Bus Geek

You back home now Cadillac?

Even some of the stuff you buy in California can't be operated there. Surprisingly the export only equipment doesn't go all that cheap.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You back home now Cadillac?

Even some of the stuff you buy in California can't be operated there. Surprisingly the export only equipment doesn't go all that cheap.

from what I understand exporting used busses is big business.. when you think about it tens of thousands of busses are retired from school service every year .. yet you dont see repurposed school busses all over the place. . theres only so many secondary schools, churches, skoolies, etc..

im told thousands are sent overseas to farms and what not..

granted there are also lots of people similar to myself that use school busses as personal / fun transport.. on this site we see mostly people who are making RVs or homes but there are lots of 'Fun busses' out there..

I am not home yet.. I made it about 400 miles and blew my Air Compressor.. so im chillin waiting on parts and doing my work as usual.. alas the Mobile DEV lab is in a hotel room at the moment..

-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
from what I understand exporting used busses is big business.. when you think about it tens of thousands of busses are retired from school service every year .. yet you dont see repurposed school busses all over the place. . theres only so many secondary schools, churches, skoolies, etc..

-Christopher
I think many buses go to South America. My co-worker does mission work in South America several times a year and I mentioned seeing a blog about a guy out west that buys up buses, loads them to the max with any parts, food, donations, etc he can get and drives them down to various S. American countries for donation to remote communities. My co-worker said the buses are the main form of transportation in these rural areas and they like them (dog nose in particular) because they can handle the unpaved roads and are easy to keep running.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:

if you are registered as an RV / Motorhome no CDL needed...

if your Bus is a BUS still and in OHIO has LESS than 16 seat positions INSTALLED (including driver) and is LESS than GVWR 26001 lbs then NO CDL needed..
in MICHIGAN removing seats does not reduce capacity.. they go on DESIGN..

in OHIO if my bus is OVER 26000 lbs GVWR (thats the plate RATING.. not actual weight) then you need a CDL class B unless it is registered as an RV / Motorhome//

in OHIO you do NOT need a medical certificate with your CDL B if you are operating your vehicle within the state.. want to take it out of state? then you woiuld need to file a medical Cert,

in OHIO. if your vehicle requires a CDL and has air brakes you need an air brakes endorsement..

in OHIO if your vehicle has less than 16 seats AND is less than 26000 lbs GVWR you can register it as a standard passenger car... regardless of air brakes.. thats personal use..

in OHIO registering as an RV / Motorhome then you are NOT required for any CDL on any size vehicle and need no ebndorsements..

-Christopher

A class B ENDORSEMENT is something states make up. It is not looked at by the Federal DOT who are in fact the ONLY entity who issue CDL licenses for vehicles such as buses and tractors.

My dad drove a street sweeper for the city he lived in for 20 years. Class B ENDORSEMENT per Florida requirements. But, if he bought a used street sweeper and used it in the church parking lot or drove it to pick up groceries, no form of CDL is needed.

AND....... when you say CDL in reference to what we do, it is a Federal license people are asking about. I am licensed in AZ. I could give a sh!t less what Ohio or Florida says that you have to have to be licensed in their state.

If you are not driving for a financial gain you DO NOT NEED A CDL PERIOD! Don't believe me? Look it up in the Code of Federal Regulations Part 10.... A "B" license is an endorsement per state, just like motorcycles or boat captains endorsements.

A class B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z, sub section 2 part D appendix Lima, is a tax source only for your specific state.

So no more questions about a CDL unless you are buying a greyhound to use as a tour bus and charge people to ride in it!

Let's refer to them as Specialized state endorsements. Because that is what people are asking about even if they don't realize what they are asking.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:19 AM   #53
Bus Geek

of course its a tax revenue.. but if im Stopped by DOT in my state in which the vehicle is registered and i havemt followed my state's proper endorsement rules cant they not still ticket me, arrest me or whatever the Law states is procedure for stopping me?

im guessing once im out of my registered state then im running on the federal rules? since im Operating in a state other than what im registered in?

-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
of course its a tax revenue.. but if im Stopped by DOT in my state in which the vehicle is registered and i havemt followed my state's proper endorsement rules cant they not still ticket me, arrest me or whatever the Law states is procedure for stopping me?

im guessing once im out of my registered state then im running on the federal rules? since im Operating in a state other than what im registered in?

-Christopher
Then you are getting an endorsement added to your state dmv license, not a CDL. If your state has literature requiring a CDL, you need to petition them to change it. Only the Federal DOT issues a CDL.

If your state says you have to have a Commercial Driver's License or a B endorsement for something you have titled and insured and registered as an RV then you may want to buy a conversion van....... or an old Uhaul........

Air brake endorsement is not a license BTW.

If you are out of your state with a Class D license with a B endorsement you can be stopped and fined for anything your state says is wrong with your vehicle. SO if You have an Ohio registration that requires an air brake endorsement, you get pulled over in West Virginia who may not have an air brake endorsement requirement, the WVA officer can ticket you for Ohio regs in his state. (chances of it actually happening are super slim to none.)

The only time the Feds are involved are if you are operating a commercial vehicle with a commercial license, or, you are at a national park driving like a ding bat.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Quote:

granted there are also lots of people similar to myself that use school busses as personal / fun transport.. on this site we see mostly people who are making RVs or homes but there are lots of 'Fun busses' out there..

I am not home yet.. I made it about 400 miles and blew my Air Compressor.. so im chillin waiting on parts and doing my work as usual.. alas the Mobile DEV lab is in a hotel room at the moment..

-Christopher
Should see if BGA will help you out with that compressor situation.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Should see if BGA will help you out with that compressor situation.
theyve actually been helpful in giving me pointers, as far as the compressor itself , it ran perfectly for 400+ miles so i think it just bit the dust.. I domt have any reason to believe there was any issue with it prior.. I drove the bus several times and observed it running several times at their lot and always was running at 120 PSI.. I think it just decided now was the time to give it up..
-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Sorry to hear about your mechanical issues. That adds a lot of stress to the already stressful situation of trying to get a used vehicle back home. You're still online so much it's like you're still home.
Nobody can't tell what will happen when you buy a used vehicle, even from a dealer.
We've all been waiting with you for so long to bring to bring your bus home. You took every precaution possible. Hopefully that's the only problems that bus will present. I was sure you bus was going to cruise home incident free.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Sorry to hear about your mechanical issues. That adds a lot of stress to the already stressful situation of trying to get a used vehicle back home. You're still online so much it's like you're still home.
Nobody can't tell what will happen when you buy a used vehicle, even from a dealer.
We've all been waiting with you for so long to bring to bring your bus home. You took every precaution possible. Hopefully that's the only problems that bus will present. I was sure you bus was going to cruise home incident free.
I look at this stuff from possibly a much different perspective than others.. for one ive played with old vehicles long enough to know that they are just that old.. and they can and will break at some point.. before I embarked on my trip home i had already activated an account with truckdown.com and read through the procedures to use it..

I also have learned not to let these things ruin my day or week or year.. the trip home was routed purposely along a longer route but one that kept me completely on the major interstates of I-75 and I-71.. both have frequent exits, rest areas, cities, and facilities..

the next piece of the puzzle was to make sure I have the financial means to run a project like this in the way that I want to..

when the air alarm came on and I dropped 20 PSI from 120 to 100 I knew I was done.. and had about 10-15 minutes of drive-time.. so I picked an exit with a couple hotels and a couple larger gas stations.. tinkered with it a few minutes and knew it was beyond the skills and tools i have with me so made the call to mobile repair.. while waiting for them I got online and booked a room at the Motel next door just in case ...

so im set up in my hotel room with my full DEV system, 4G LTE service and a VPN connection and its a normal work day for me , and pretty soon I'll be back in my bus and rollin-wheels..

the gas station where I parked is perfectly fine with the bus there..(the girl working there said she had a couple people ask what the bus was and if it was for sale as they thought it looks cool)..

i buy all my sodas and candy from them (yeah Im a junk food junkie)... the hotel has a bar, there is a shoneys next door that has CRISPY BACON on its breakfast buffet..

ive got stories I could tell for hours of trips in classic cars over the years.. caravans with car clubs and the things that have happened..

-Christopher
Old 05-19-2016, 12:06 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Quote:
I look at this stuff from possibly a much different perspective than others.. for one ive played with old vehicles long enough to know that they are just that old.. and they can and will break at some point.. before I embarked on my trip home i had already activated an account with truckdown.com and read through the procedures to use it..

I also have learned not to let these things ruin my day or week or year.. the trip home was routed purposely along a longer route but one that kept me completely on the major interstates of I-75 and I-71.. both have frequent exits, rest areas, cities, and facilities..

the next piece of the puzzle was to make sure I have the financial means to run a project like this in the way that I want to..

when the air alarm came on and I dropped 20 PSI from 120 to 100 I knew I was done.. and had about 10-15 minutes of drive-time.. so I picked an exit with a couple hotels and a couple larger gas stations.. tinkered with it a few minutes and knew it was beyond the skills and tools i have with me so made the call to mobile repair.. while waiting for them I got online and booked a room at the Motel next door just in case ...

so im set up in my hotel room with my full DEV system, 4G LTE service and a VPN connection and its a normal work day for me , and pretty soon I'll be back in my bus and rollin-wheels..

the gas station where I parked is perfectly fine with the bus there..(the girl working there said she had a couple people ask what the bus was and if it was for sale as they thought it looks cool)..

i buy all my sodas and candy from them (yeah Im a junk food junkie)... the hotel has a bar, there is a shoneys next door that has CRISPY BACON on its breakfast buffet..

ive got stories I could tell for hours of trips in classic cars over the years.. caravans with car clubs and the things that have happened..

-Christopher
You, sir, sound like you like adventure!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #60
Bus Geek

The good part is by time you get home you're going to be fairly comfortable with taking trips in your bus. I see the compressor as more of a fluke.