Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Buying a bus in Portland, Oregon

Does anyone know of any auctions near Portland? Maybe even in Vancouver WA? I'm looking to buy a bus to convert into a food cart, and any suggestions would be great! I've looked at public surplus but the don't have many around Oregon.

pdxfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You will wanna watch as they have different stuff added almost daily.
There have been some good buses in that area for sale not too long ago.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I dredge the west coast Craigslists almost daily. The metro areas (Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Portland, Sacramento, etc) tend to have a good variety of buses that get posted almost daily. I put in my search and use the drop town tab on the top right to switch quick between locales.
jawa01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfood View Post
Does anyone know of any auctions near Portland? Maybe even in Vancouver WA? I'm looking to buy a bus to convert into a food cart, and any suggestions would be great! I've looked at public surplus but the don't have many around Oregon.
I thought you were the one who bought the black/green chevy bus that was in St.Johns, the one registered as a passenger van.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

This one looks like it's been listed on CraigsList several times, 1952 Crown Coach Bus
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
That Crown has been on Craigs for over two years..............It has one significant draw back...........It has the Hall Scott gas engine...........you can look for a whopping 3 miles per gallon..............got to remember these things game along, the Hall Scott, when gas was 20 cents a gallon...........at three bucks a gallon today............look at it like this..............3 bucks then was 12 gallons......so you got 32 miles for three bucks.......now you get 10 to 12 for the same three bucks with your diesel........
Old 03-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
Skoolie

here is one at auction
Public Surplus: Auction #1324814

State of Washington Surplus Operations
DES Surplus Operations [Map It]
7511 New Market Street SW
Tumwater, WA 98501

not sure how close it is to you
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:27 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Rear axle ratio 4.48 not too bad..............should do 65.............maybe a bit more...........unusual turbo set up from........I seem to recall turbo being a bit farther forward and down lower...............didn't see a rebuild indication but engine sounded good..............cracked windshield for sure pass side............steers look good and the undercarriage and wheel wells looked dry and seemed to have an under coating..........Looks like it has been sitting around for quite a long time.............. I'd have a few questions............I'd want to know if all the electrics are in order, lights, clearance and warning lights if all the gauges are functioning as they should and airs up as it should..............i'd ask a bunch of questions: And see what they would answer or if they would not answer at all................I will say this............I've bought many buses out of Washington State..............And done quite well:

Just pulled this 82 out of the Wahkiakum School district.............another Green Floor Crown with the additional under belly holding on the passenger side..........
Attached Thumbnails
wahkiakum6.jpg   wahkiakum-.jpg   wahkiakum7.jpg   wahkiakum5.jpg  
Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

What exactly do you want?

At our Auburn location we have half a dozen buses in great condition with prices under $4,500.00. We have four like this one, two of which have virtually brand new engines: 1991 THOMAS RE 3208 1T7A3G908M1777486 - TheBusDealer.com - Auburn, Washington 98001

And we have this one: 1990 International BB 1HVBB27N1LH288586 - TheBusDealer.com - Auburn, Washington 98001

We have one at our Woodland location as well. 1993 IHC BB 1HVBBPGN6PH532355 - TheBusDealer.com - Auburn, Washington 98001

Call me and let's talk! 253-929-9475
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Bus Nut

For the Love of God man give those a bath...LOL.............If you ever come across any Crowns or any Thomas West Coasters especially with the Tandem give me a shout...........
Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #11
Skoolie

a tandem crown is a dream come true!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 PM   #12
Bus Nut

For Some.............For me the Holy Grail is a 30 ft. Crown with the Big Cam beneath the floor at about 425HP........that would work fine for me.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #13
Skoolie

you may find something at the truck paper or commercial truck trader, I remember when these came out in print every month, as a boy I would read over these and build a fleet of various trucks, buses and what ever else. all 100% justified by the plans of what I could do with them!
http://www.truckpaper.com/list/list....d=27&catid=223

Bus, Used Bus, Bus For Sale - Commercialtrucktrader.com

this is at auction http://www.auctiontime.com/OnlineAuc...=trk&bcatid=27
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Bus Nut

If a 30ft Crown became available the Crown Coach Universe would direct me to it post haste..............Crown mad a few 28 foot Coaches a few 30 foot Coaches and a few 32 foot Coaches............these would have been built 50's to maybe a few in the first years of the 60's................I did see one about six months ago........in pretty rough shape with a Cadillac engine shoved up into the frame rails; At that time i was fully immersed in bringing My Black Intercity back from the Dead...........one of two ever produced.. Didn't have the will for another project................If the same bus came along right now I would go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
30footer1.jpg   hptwo.jpg  
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
For Some.............For me the Holy Grail is a 30 ft. Crown with the Big Cam beneath the floor at about 425HP........that would work fine for me.
Almost any bus with 425 Hp would do it for me.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I'm more enthralled with rear axle ratio's and Torque.................let's face it you can put a Chevy engine in a bus with 425 horse...........but probably wouldn't get the Job done.............Torque is King...........a 250hp C8.3 with 800 ft lbs of torque would surely get it done Then when you get a reign on 425 ponies and 1400 ft lbs of torque the Grapevine becomes just another long flat highway like you might find in Kansas....................
Old 04-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokibrabrant View Post
I'm more enthralled with rear axle ratio's and Torque.................let's face it you can put a Chevy engine in a bus with 425 horse...........but probably wouldn't get the Job done.............Torque is King...........a 250hp C8.3 with 800 ft lbs of torque would surely get it done Then when you get a reign on 425 ponies and 1400 ft lbs of torque the Grapevine becomes just another long flat highway like you might find in Kansas....................

In my world all buses are diesels. This is why I want me some more cubic inches.

Why stop there?

We need someone to get a N14 with around 2000 ft pounds or torque.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote