Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up Canadian folks looking within Canada for mostly finished skoolie conversion

Hi all,
As the title of this post says we are looking to buy ASAP an already converted or at least partly converted (with holding tanks already in) schoolbus tiny house traveling home.

The bus should have lots of 'Shakka' Cool earthy vibe to it.
Preferably it should be a diesel dog nose Auto trans, with fresh, grey and black water holding tanks, custom bathroom and kitchen with chunky wood counter and sink and a woodstove but we will consider any variation that comes close including a compost toilet.

It should NOT have 70's style cabinetry, carpeting or velour seating, and other cheesy crap etc etc.

Please contact us if you have an awesome bus to sell OR if you have any leads on someone who does.
We offer a $500 REWARD to the person who can connect us to the bus we buy.

We are willing to purchase the right bus from ANYWHERE IN CANADA.
No US bus conversions please - they are inadmissible to Canada.

Thanks all!
Regards, David and Laura

yyzfreeedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzfreeedom View Post
Hi all,
As the title of this post says we are looking to buy ASAP an already converted or at least partly converted (with holding tanks already in) schoolbus tiny house traveling home.

The bus should have lots of 'Shakka' Cool earthy vibe to it.
Preferably it should be a diesel dog nose Auto trans, with fresh, grey and black water holding tanks, custom bathroom and kitchen with chunky wood counter and sink and a woodstove but we will consider any variation that comes close including a compost toilet.

It should NOT have 70's style cabinetry, carpeting or velour seating, and other cheesy crap etc etc.

Please contact us if you have an awesome bus to sell OR if you have any leads on someone who does.
We offer a $500 REWARD to the person who can connect us to the bus we buy.

We are willing to purchase the right bus from ANYWHERE IN CANADA.
No US bus conversions please - they are inadmissible to Canada.

Thanks all!
Regards, David and Laura
I have one that is ready to be customizable but you will have to put all together......
pepepito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #3

Hey David and Laura!

How is your search going!

I currently am building an incredible bus here in Saskatchewan. I'd put it at 70% finished. I'd be willing to produce a project bus to your liking?

What is your price range, desired layout, desired engine, etc.

I am willing to part with my bus once completed, but just know that it will be beautiful.
SPecs:

98 International 72 Passenger
7.3 diesel
80,000km (runs mint)
Complete RV utilities with 50 amp hookup.

Looking forward to chatting!

Steve
thevanchronicles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:06 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Just curious, why and how exactly are US conversions inadmissible to Canada? Does this mean that a US converted bus cannot enter Canada AT ALL, or just that they're not legal to import on a permanent basis?
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Janet, It means that they cannot be imported on a permanent basis. There is no problem for a US citizen to drive a US plated bus into Canada - say for a vacation etc. But the bus may NOT stay in Canada. In other words it cannot be sold to a Canadian who intends to re-plate and insure it in Canada.
Nor can a Canadian buy the bus in the US and drive it into Canada because it is illegal for a Canadian to drive a US plated vehicle into Canada unless you are IMPORTING IT. And as I have said conversion buses are NOT permitted to be imported into Canada unfortunately!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Corbeil - RAMROD
Chassis: IH 3800 66 Pass
Engine: 7.3 IH IDI NA w AT545 hyd
Hey guys - what you are looking for would be a really rare find. The only converted buses I've seen in AB are old gas engine skoolies that look like the 70's conversions. Not what I would want either.
Good luck - scour kijiji as I think that's your best bet up here.
slidewayzm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry I meant to to say Hi Alley Cat 67!
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Slidewayz, I hear ya! Yes it is a difficult search for sure which is why we were hoping to buy a beauty in the States only to discover that our government in all its wisdom does not allow this. We may decide to design and build our own custom dream bus using a school bus as a raw canvas. In fact we have already started drawing up some concepts.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Hi thevanchronicles, We would be interested in more details and photos of your bus.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Pepito, Please send me details.
Thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 04:42 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Thanks for the enlightenment, I was curious how that worked.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:43 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Steve, Sorry for the delay in replying. We are interested in discussing further the idea of a build to our specifications. I would like to know a few more pertinent details about the bus first though including:
1) Auto or Manual transmission?
2) Air Brakes or hydraulic?
2) INTERIOR HEIGHT from floor to ceiling? Interior WIDTH?
3) Mileage?
4) Body and frame rust?

Thanks and here is my cell phone number - call or text:

604-505-9321

Email: dshurvell@gmail.com

Regards, David and Laura
Old 10-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #13

Reply to Direct Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzfreeedom View Post
Hi thevanchronicles, We would be interested in more details and photos of your bus.
Hey David and Laura!

My apologies for missing your messages!

Here are the specs of my build:
1) 5 Speed Manual (with highway differential. Rides a comfortable 90-100 km)
2) hydraulic brakes
2) INTERIOR HEIGHT = approx. 6'2"
Interior WIDTH= approx 7'6"
* I will be out this weekend to get exact measurements.
3) Mileage= approx. 80,000km fresh oil change
* again, I'll get back with exact KM
4) Body and frame rust? Frame has normal rust for year, nothing structurally damaging. Lower rust behind rear wheels on side skirts (was planning on trimming about 1 foot off both sides and adding underbelly storage. Take care of the rust and add storage!)

The best part of the bus is its engine and tranny. MINT! Does 450 km on one tank of diesel! (approx $150 CAD to fill)

Second Option:

This bus was initially planned for myself, but I planned on converting buses for skoolies looking for a custom build after I finished this one.

If you don't need a bus ASAP, but say for this spring 2017, I could put together a completely custom build to your specs and budget! I have certified contractors helping with electrical, plumbing, and mechanical and I myself have framed houses.

If you are interested, I know we could find the perfect bus ASAP, set out floorplans, lay out a budget, and I could get this looking incredible before spring rolls around!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Steven
Old 10-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevanchronicles View Post
The best part of the bus is its engine and tranny. MINT! Does 450 km on one tank of diesel! (approx $150 CAD to fill)
Ok, ok.. this one hits a nerve I all to frequently hear people compare fuel economy by how much distance they can travel on a tank of fuel. The problem is that fuel tanks come in different volumes! This couldn't be more true in a school buses. A school bus fuel tank can range from 30 US gallons up to 100+.

The coffee shop chat goes something like this:

"Hey bud, what kind of mileage do you get in that pickup?"
"Great bud! I can get down to T'ronto* on a tank."
"Sweet bud.. In my Honda Civic I have to fill up the tank halfway through the trip. This car blows."

* T'ronto: More commonly known as Toronto.

I'll assume that diesel costs around $1 per litre. If it costs around $150 CAD to fill than it must be somewhere close to a 150 litre (40 US gallons) tank?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Ok, ok.. this one hits a nerve I all to frequently hear people compare fuel economy by how much distance they can travel on a tank of fuel. The problem is that fuel tanks come in different volumes! This couldn't be more true in a school buses. A school bus fuel tank can range from 30 US gallons up to 100+.

The coffee shop chat goes something like this:

"Hey bud, what kind of mileage do you get in that pickup?"
"Great bud! I can get down to T'ronto* on a tank."
"Sweet bud.. In my Honda Civic I have to fill up the tank halfway through the trip. This car blows."

* T'ronto: More commonly known as Toronto.

I'll assume that diesel costs around $1 per litre. If it costs around $150 CAD to fill than it must be somewhere close to a 150 litre (40 US gallons) tank?

Hey Jazty,

Not meant to strike any nerves, simply stating I did 450ish km on one tank and it was roughly $150 to fill. Simple findings that allow one to do the math if they please.

Sometimes it's a lot more reassuring to consider what an engine truly does on the road, not its "expected" mileage.

Thanks,

Steven
Old 10-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Hi Steven, Sounds interesting! We could definitely talk about this idea further.
Can you please email me at: dshurvell@gmail.com

Also, what year and make of bus do you have and what is its overall length?
Thanks
Regards David

Tags
bus wanted, canadian, finished, for sale, skoolie conversion