Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

CAT Engines for sale, auto trannies too

Howdy Folks

I have two good running CAT V8 engines I'd like to sell

The first one (a 320 is in a fire truck, and runs beautifully. There is NO smoke upon startup, good oil pressure, you can test drive it before you buy it. I has a 5 speed automatic tranny attached an Allison 653 or 654 (not sure) but I would sell the engine and tranny as a unit, or separate them. I would like 3300 for the whole shebang, or 3000 for just the engine.

The other CAT V8 I have is an 1160, same engine as the 3208 but different style injector pump, and front timing cover. The 3208 is just the updated version of the 1160. The 1160 is what I run in my own bus, and I am very happy with it, I get 8.8 mpg loaded or empty, and it is compact and easy to service. Because these are older, I would take $1600 for the 1160, especially because I need to get it out of my backyard, I'm doing a major cleanup.

I took the 1160 out of a bus I got that had cosmetic damage, and was no longer pretty enough to sell. It ran Very Good and had great power, I hauled tail for about 300 miles from the Bay Area to Fresno before we yanked 'er out.

They are pretty much interchangeable, when CAT went to the newer 3208 they would take in worn out 1160 engines, rebuild them, change the pump, and send them back out as REMAN 3208.

I would sell this engine for 1600 dollars, and on both of them, I'd offer a 90 day guarantee. I never sell junk, all my bad stuff sits under tarps waiting to be cannibalized someday.

I also have a couple other V8 CATs in both styles if you wanted an extra parts engine, or just an extra part.

I still have about 20 buses, almost all Crowns and Gilligs, but also a Ford B700 for parts. I'm going to start scrapping stuff, so if anyone wants a GOOD deal (I am waaaay tired of keeping all this stuff around) just let me know

Thanks and have a good one

Patrick Young
Fresno, CA
(559) 251-3814
WheelchairBusProject@yahoo.com

Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #2

Year: 75
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: 1160 Cat
Rated Cap: 77
Re: CAT Engines for sale, auto trannies too

Pat my friend its good to see you are still alive! I am looking for a turbo 3208 or perhaps a detroit for my gillig. Can you help? Call sometime.
Alan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Howdy bAllan

Well I don't have any 3208's that are turboed. I have a 6V71 but I'd have to kill the bus to get it out.

You were not thinking of going pancake were you? And the 6V71 really fills the engine compartment, so you really could not go to an 8V71, MAYBE you could squeeze a 6V92 back there. Gillig did it their last few years.

Sorry I been so invisible and uncommunicative, I've been horribly depressed since my last visit to Haiti, really shook my faith to its core, that much suffering and desperation.

I ended up spending a month or so in bed, I just stopped caring about anything, then my buddy came along and forced me up and at 'em, so now I am doing a BIG cleanup of my backyard. And house and garage. We're really doing well, and he forces me out of bed every day, he really loves me, and wants me to shake off these horrible times.

Hey if you want any part, I've cut everything 50% for the next month. It's part of my "CLeanup up before I go bonkers" program. Everything half off for the next two months.

OK buddy, hang loose and let me know exactly what you are searching for. Maybe Candy has one.

Have a good one

Patrick
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #4

Year: 75
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Gillig
Engine: 1160 Cat
Rated Cap: 77

Thanks for the reply. I found an engine,perhaps a more sensible one. I just bought a 466 for $700 and it came with its own bus!!
So now I can figure out how to make it fit.
I do need a steering gearbox however.
Call sometime.
Alan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote