Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E450 #Vanlife
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 25
Considering selling our 1998 Thomas SafeTLiner Cat 3126/MD3060 Allison RE 84 pass bus

This is something that we are discussing, as we're not sure just yet on which way to proceed. In part, we may want to do an expedition SUV/Truck based build with a expedition trailer instead. Easier to store, more mobile for our current desires.

Will update this thread with pics, videos, etc shortly. This is a quickie to get started.

For internationals on VISA or those who want to do a quick build and travel immediately, see below, for others skip down

I can offer a full shop build space to anyone traveling internationally that wants to build the bus and begin their journey from the Atlanta area (several youtube channel folks have done this). This bus has good tires (fronts may need replaced as they have very early signs of slight cracks, but I drove 450 miles on them), a very solid running drivetrain and not a spot of rust anywhere. The underneath and frame are MINT clean...it's unreal actually. This bus also has FULL belly pan storage. It's like a west coast style bus. The possibilities are endless with the sealed and enclosed belly storage.

We'd be opened to allowing someone several weeks to fly in, build on site with full use of my shop and my assistance even. I can do anything electrical, MIG/TIG weld, have any tool you could possibly need, tubing benders, wood carpentry tools, etc. The bus is indoors in a warehouse, so no working outside and I'm 60 minutes from a major international airport. The price on a deal like this would be negotiable, so contact me. This offer won't last long though, as I will be relocating potentially in July (could extend possibly one month at most).

We even have a camping shower, toilet, bed, tables/chairs and a couch if you want to just pack it and go.

Interested in buying and driving home

It's ready to go. I drove the bus 450 miles to where it is now and it didn't miss a beat. I see no issue it can't do cross country to anywhere. Front end felt a little loose, but I haven't driven any other school buses. Seems like it may need kingpin bushing service or shocks....maybe both. Drove fine though, didn't wander, straight down the road, one hand.

Currently the interior is stripped of all seats and is ready to build. The belly pans are empty and can house storage, tanks, or even allow you to drop the floor in a space for a tub or shower. This is the perfect bus for a build out.

Specific details on the bus/price/etc

9k is the asking price right now. I realize auction buses are cheaper, but auction buses come with auction risk and unknowns. I have gone through the bus, driven it across half the country, etc. It has 120k or so miles (will give specifics soon). I would consider this thread a "testing the waters".

Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Allison MD3060 trans (6th disabled but can be unlocked)
Did approx 60mph on highway at just under 2k iirc
Bus was used in commercial, fleet maintained service until the day I bought it
120k or so mile (will add specifics shortly)
Interior gutted, no seats
Signage removed and exterior ready to prep and paint
Rear air bags, front spring suspension (rides awesome and MEGA quiet)
Fitting added to main compressor tank for air tools
Air brakes work fantastic
Still has heating system throughout the bus, I haven't removed it...yet
Belly storage
40ft/84 passenger
JUST fit in a 10ft overhead door...I'm talkin by a sliver.
Air ride driver seat

Misc

Someone may point out the bus had a starting issue after I stripped the seats, got rid of the signage, etc. It turned out to be a simple ground wire that was damaged during seat removal, it was just hard to track down. It's resolved and the bus started right up normally. It seems like 1 out of 2 skoolie builds go through some phase of no start and you have to get through it. I broke that barrier for you.

PM me. Anyone posting, please keep the responses on point. Pics coming shortly...I'm on a different computer.

This is the actual bus...will post better later

Prior to seat removal

Belly storage inside

RC000E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:18 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Hello. I live in Mableton and am looking for an inexpensive bus to convert to a mobile classroom though I'm not a builder. Maybe this will work for me? Let's chat if you have time. Thanks, Mike.
mpn7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:25 AM   #3
Skoolie

Well, update to this is....after STRONG consideration, we've decided to reconfigure our relocation plans and keep the bus. It'll cost us a year, but we are dedicated to doing this bus build full bore. It's a great bus, and I don't think I can find a better one, so we just can't let it go.

So, that said...the sale is off. I'm building full bore.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
bring it on!!! looking forward to seeing the build continue!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Skoolie

Yeah....I can't say a build thread is something I am eager to do after the wiring thread. I'm prob going to youtube it all as part of my automotive channel I am starting. I like asking for advice and help, but fighting off the bs isn't really productive.

Going to incorporate metal a lot, definitely do some alternative things that aren't seen. I want to incorporate a lot of my fab background and things into it. I have some ideas.

I just moved it into a new position in my building so...we are good to go.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
bring it on!!! looking forward to seeing the build continue!!!
-Christopher
One thing I have learned in my searches so far is, you sure do know your hvac. I am 100% going mini splits, dual 12k units because we are moving to Las Vegas next year. I'm going for a balance of R value improvements, as well as max efficient a/c, within reason. Also going over 2000w of solar. No composting bs, not gonna be a wood shack either. Looking for nice bathroom, lots of power, keep cool and be innovative in design/construction techniques.

That's the initial plan here. Have the bus modeled just about in Sketchup.

Plan is to buy all our systems first before really touching the bus much. Bathroom, kitchen, solar, etc. We'll see though. I need to get back in gear on this build. For the moment, I have to finish two cars on small builds and get a car to GridLife in Atlanta for late August.

We really deliberated over this decision, but the fact is we want to commit at least 2 yrs to living in it, while I carry my commercial space costs. Hoping to enjoy the savings advantages, then build a commercial building.

One step at a time.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

non start

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
This is something that we are discussing, as we're not sure just yet on which way to proceed. In part, we may want to do an expedition SUV/Truck based build with a expedition trailer instead. Easier to store, more mobile for our current desires.

Will update this thread with pics, videos, etc shortly. This is a quickie to get started.

For internationals on VISA or those who want to do a quick build and travel immediately, see below, for others skip down

I can offer a full shop build space to anyone traveling internationally that wants to build the bus and begin their journey from the Atlanta area (several youtube channel folks have done this). This bus has good tires (fronts may need replaced as they have very early signs of slight cracks, but I drove 450 miles on them), a very solid running drivetrain and not a spot of rust anywhere. The underneath and frame are MINT clean...it's unreal actually. This bus also has FULL belly pan storage. It's like a west coast style bus. The possibilities are endless with the sealed and enclosed belly storage.

We'd be opened to allowing someone several weeks to fly in, build on site with full use of my shop and my assistance even. I can do anything electrical, MIG/TIG weld, have any tool you could possibly need, tubing benders, wood carpentry tools, etc. The bus is indoors in a warehouse, so no working outside and I'm 60 minutes from a major international airport. The price on a deal like this would be negotiable, so contact me. This offer won't last long though, as I will be relocating potentially in July (could extend possibly one month at most).

We even have a camping shower, toilet, bed, tables/chairs and a couch if you want to just pack it and go.

Interested in buying and driving home

It's ready to go. I drove the bus 450 miles to where it is now and it didn't miss a beat. I see no issue it can't do cross country to anywhere. Front end felt a little loose, but I haven't driven any other school buses. Seems like it may need kingpin bushing service or shocks....maybe both. Drove fine though, didn't wander, straight down the road, one hand.

Currently the interior is stripped of all seats and is ready to build. The belly pans are empty and can house storage, tanks, or even allow you to drop the floor in a space for a tub or shower. This is the perfect bus for a build out.

Specific details on the bus/price/etc

9k is the asking price right now. I realize auction buses are cheaper, but auction buses come with auction risk and unknowns. I have gone through the bus, driven it across half the country, etc. It has 120k or so miles (will give specifics soon). I would consider this thread a "testing the waters".

Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Allison MD3060 trans (6th disabled but can be unlocked)
Did approx 60mph on highway at just under 2k iirc
Bus was used in commercial, fleet maintained service until the day I bought it
120k or so mile (will add specifics shortly)
Interior gutted, no seats
Signage removed and exterior ready to prep and paint
Rear air bags, front spring suspension (rides awesome and MEGA quiet)
Fitting added to main compressor tank for air tools
Air brakes work fantastic
Still has heating system throughout the bus, I haven't removed it...yet
Belly storage
40ft/84 passenger
JUST fit in a 10ft overhead door...I'm talkin by a sliver.
Air ride driver seat

Misc

Someone may point out the bus had a starting issue after I stripped the seats, got rid of the signage, etc. It turned out to be a simple ground wire that was damaged during seat removal, it was just hard to track down. It's resolved and the bus started right up normally. It seems like 1 out of 2 skoolie builds go through some phase of no start and you have to get through it. I broke that barrier for you.

PM me. Anyone posting, please keep the responses on point. Pics coming shortly...I'm on a different computer.

This is the actual bus...will post better later

Prior to seat removal

Belly storage inside

FWIW: Thomas emergency door on driver side in back has wiring that will make a non start ... easy fix to wire around when removing the seats, etc. Mine also had switch for back window when open... 93 safey liner
Old 06-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think you are totally smart noit to compromise and to build it the way you want, i also like your idea of procurring alot of the materials first the nyou can just Go at the bus im High gear, knocking out the major systems in a swoop. esp if you can test fit pieces on the shop floor before you dump the shop.. its all those "little extra fittings and connectors".. that take all the time.. the 22 trips to Home depot or 10 more orders to amazonfor little pieces that slow a project down.. so if you get all the materials you can see that really pipe Adoesnt really mate to Tank B like the directions said.. you can have time to order said A to B fitting..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Engine: Cummins 5.9 diesel turbo isb 24 valve
Hey I have a question. We have the same bus as you besides the engine and year. But we're having issues taking out the seats. We got the ones that are above the storage super easy for the obvious reasons but we're having issues getting the ones in the front and the rear of the bus. Any suggestions/tips as to how you took your seats out? We have ratchets, wrenches vice grips and angle grinder. In dire need of some help! Please and thank you!
Novidrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Use a sawzall to cut all the legs off, it makes it so much easier to get to the bolts.. you can get all the seats out in half a day. save the ones you want and chuck the rest..
Sawzalls best thing ever cut wood cut pipe cut metal..HaHa bet you could even cut the grass LOL
Old 07-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novidrew View Post
Hey I have a question. We have the same bus as you besides the engine and year. But we're having issues taking out the seats. We got the ones that are above the storage super easy for the obvious reasons but we're having issues getting the ones in the front and the rear of the bus. Any suggestions/tips as to how you took your seats out? We have ratchets, wrenches vice grips and angle grinder. In dire need of some help! Please and thank you!

8 inch angle grinder. fast work
Old 07-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I paid 2 kids to remove my seats. Not once did they crawl under the bus. Of course, I bought an impact wrench, a Sawzall, and a die grinder, but it was worth it.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #13
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Tots with Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I paid 2 kids to remove my seats. Not once did they crawl under the bus. Of course, I bought an impact wrench, a Sawzall, and a die grinder, but it was worth it.
Yikes. Kids with angle grinders sounds kinda risky liability-wise. Don't get me wrong- I'm all for child labor, but dang...
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I'm 62, these kids were in their 20s. Everything under 30 is not to be trusted!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #15
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I'm 62, these kids were in their 20s. Everything under 30 is not to be trusted!
Amen Brother