Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

COPART buses

several buses for sale from Texas

~Pat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Well, yay skippee!
Thanx for sharing...
Old 07-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pat~ View Post
several buses for sale from Texas
Have a link? All I see at Copart in Tx. are a couple of wrecks.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

that is what Copart is for. They sell insurance buy-outs. The buses I am refering to are all from the same lot and are considered flood damaged. It would need to be inspected to see if water was up to the seats or over the roof. Most looking for a skoolie will be ripping it apart anyway, so if flood damage is minimal why not?
Old 07-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
that is what Copart is for. They sell insurance buy-outs. The buses I am refering to are all from the same lot and are considered flood damaged. It would need to be inspected to see if water was up to the seats or over the roof. Most looking for a skoolie will be ripping it apart anyway, so if flood damage is minimal why not?
The problem with flood damage is if water gets in to the harness and electrical connections, rusting them out. That's why flood vehicles are sold. Run from any flood damage that has seen the harness.
Link to those buses?
Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
If the water was up to the seats or higher........ The motor and transmission were likely to have been submerged.

Worth nothing more than scrap.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
The number one reason I'd be afraid of these buses is the damage water does to the clutch plates in an auto trans. My second concern would be wet electronics. Lastly I'd worry about the engine having water seep between the bearing journals and the inserts, heating and expanding and spinning the insert (common in DD 2 strokes). Other than that these buses could be a heck of a deal. Caveat emptor.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
The number one reason I'd be afraid of these buses is the damage water does to the clutch plates in an auto trans. My second concern would be wet electronics. Lastly I'd worry about the engine having water seep between the bearing journals and the inserts, heating and expanding and spinning the insert (common in DD 2 strokes). Other than that these buses could be a heck of a deal. Caveat emptor.
Jack

Other than engine, transmission, body, suspension, electrical and body issues they should be fine.....
Old 07-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Other than engine, transmission, body, suspension, electrical and body issues they should be fine.....

... and insurance issues. An insurance loss is sent to the wrecking yard with a salvage title. You can (usually) not get full coverage and most of the time liability insurance is tough to get.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

I have never had any problems with "R" titles being registered. As far as insurance goes, I have only liability and roadside/towing.

If the bus was not submerged I would think at 50,000 miles it you could easily go over all the grease points, and do a complete PM, you would have a solid platform to start from. A PM to me would be 100% fluid/filter flushes. The same thing if I bought a bus at 150-200,000 miles.

Anyone that has done any serious mudding knows all the nooks and crannies water and mud can get into
Old 07-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have never had any problems with "R" titles being registered. As far as insurance goes, I have only liability and roadside/towing.

If the bus was not submerged I would think at 50,000 miles it you could easily go over all the grease points, and do a complete PM, you would have a solid platform to start from. A PM to me would be 100% fluid/filter flushes. The same thing if I bought a bus at 150-200,000 miles.

Anyone that has done any serious mudding knows all the nooks and crannies water and mud can get into
By "R" title I assume you mean a Rebuilt title. Those are not an issue at DMV. But a slavage title is a whole different ball game. In the state of Ga. before a salvage titled vehicle can be put back on the road it needs to be repaired. Every part used to repair has to be accompanied by a receipt and VIN number of the vehicle said part came off of. If you manage to get that all completed and pass the inspection, then a "Repaired" title will be issued and you can register it. You can't register a salvage title vehicle.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
... and insurance issues. An insurance loss is sent to the wrecking yard with a salvage title. You can (usually) not get full coverage and most of the time liability insurance is tough to get.
I suspect that may vary by state and insurance company.

I checked with my State Farm agent here in WA and they will write full coverage on a vehicle with a salvage title.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I suspect that may vary by state and insurance company.

I checked with my State Farm agent here in WA and they will write full coverage on a vehicle with a salvage title.

I agree, like most things it does depend on the state. I suspect (currently) the states that suffer the most from flooding are tighter on the salvage rules. I also suspect that since certain types of business people know this, they buy out the salvaged vehicles from natural disasters and truck them out of the region to unsuspecting customers.

Just speculating here ...
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:28 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Unscrupulous speculators?! Say 'taint so...