Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2016, 12:34 AM   #1

Couple looking for Home (WTB/Payments)

Hellllooooo. My wife and I are looking for a home. We've been struggling for the last few years due to the usual suspects. Hours cut. Both working 2 jobs and actually making less money. It's a fantastic existence. We were hoping someone who has a rig for sale would consider taking a modest down payment and monthly installments. We are located in Long Beach CA. We are hardworking people, lived in the same place for almost 13 years and are looking for a little breathing room. I'd love to hear from you if you do.
You can call, text or email me. My number is 310-766-4416.
Thanks-Patrick

oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Welcome to the forum.

I assume it would be better if you get a loan from the bank then go pay off who ever is selling the rig.

Either way, best of luck to you and your wife.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2016, 12:57 AM   #3

We considered that but are leaning more towards living off the grid. Turning 40 and loosing everything you've worked very hard for has been a huge awakening.
oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
I only suggested it because I assume a seller would want the money up front. And you would still be accommodated with monthly payments. Win Win situation.

Yes, sometimes life takes unexpected turns. I hope for the best to you and your wife.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
And you've gotta consider the seller's side... Where's he gonna find you if you're off grid. Nothing against you, but people are a lot more cautious now-a-days.

I lucked into my deal, as it was unprecedented.
We entered into a contract, applied his lien to the title.
Per contract, If I missed 2 payments... I signed the title back over to him, and walk away with no equity or claim. Also, I must maintain insurance during term of loan.

I make a payment into his bank account once a month and snap a picture of the receipt, and text it to him. He acknowledges, I take a screen shot of his acknowledgment and email myself to two locations.

Per contract, he'll sign a lien release on final payment.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Welcome! Sounds like you've got the right idea down sizing, but No sense is going deeper into debt, surely something in your price range will prove less stressful than owing more money. We deserve that. That's what Skoolies are all about.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
Bus Nut

IMO . When people are down on cash and living paycheck to paycheck. A bus might be a real problem when it breaks down. If ya gotta; buy a small one and tow service so to get you off the highway. I do wish you good luck

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
dependng on your area bus living isnt always cheaper... you have to park somewhere.. you have to get water and dump your tanks someplace.. or if you dont have plumbing you have to somehow be somewhere where you can clean yourself before work.. wash your clothes... buy fuel to drive around, insure your bus, keep your food cold when you are at work.. you can live off grid pretty cheaply if you can find a place to park semi permanently that is not expensve.. and has a source of fresh water..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Welcome! I know exactly what your going through, I wish you the best of luck. Keep looking and something will turn up.

*"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.” *
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Here ya go.

*THOMAS* *SCHOOL BUS* *1995*

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:02 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I would pay maybe $3K tops for that bus.

And it's been on craigslist for a long time so you just know there's something wrong with it or the seller isn't backing down on the unrealistic price.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
I would pay maybe $3K tops for that bus.

And it's been on craigslist for a long time so you just know there's something wrong with it or the seller isn't backing down on the unrealistic price.
Used car lots that finance will always be over priced. Doesn't have to be this bus. They are looking to get financed on a bus. I am confident that there are thousands of other car dealers with a bus to sell and finance.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Caddy-kid brings up some good points. Do you plan to stay in the LB area? If so where do you plan on parking? I've been in and out of LB all my life and I can assure you all the old mom and pops trailer courts of the '40's are long gone and the high dollar mobile home parks remaining won't even consider a skoolie.

There are still a few old school "rv" parks where you would probably be welcome in a skoolie. I have stayed in both of the following and both are well run but somewhat shop worn. The KOA in Visalia is one and the other one is Shady Lane RV Camp. I'd guess their rates would be $600-700 plus a surcharge for extra electricity use.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want to live in a school bus down by the river--more power to you. Just be sure to stake your claim before you commit to a skoolie. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if your credit is decent most banks will finance a Used us at the standard used car rate.. if you have ot get into alternative financing then thuings get expensive... or you have to meet a very trusting individual who has a bus that would let you make payments..

only issue with the latter is any bus that is owned by someone other than a school you have no clue as to how they maintained it.. some people are wonderful at it.. others just drive and drive or let a bus just sit in the yard for years hoping to make it something then never do and sell it..

many banks will also finance an auction purchase, though you'll have to coordinate it out and get preapproval for an amount and work out logistics to get the check cut.. something to discuss with a bank in person..

I know of a guy who bought a nearly new dump truck at an auction and got it bank financed by chase..

the bank did have age stipulations and the unit had to be in full working order before they would accept financing on it... school busses may fall outside the range of age unless you can get it in under a classic-vehicle loophole for an older bus.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote