Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Crown for sale in case anyone is looking - found on craigslist

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/r...780053392.html

CarreAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
And not one pic of the inside?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreAnn View Post
Same bus is on eBay right now at $10,000

I contacted the seller, said the driveline is original, trans is a 545

http://https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Crown-School-bus-round-with-rear-engine-8-3-Cummins-and-Allison-Automatic/273627660438?hash=item3fb57ac096:gucAAOSw-FRcJCK-
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Cool looking bus but that's way too many nickels for me!
Old 12-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am really surprised to see a 545 behind an 8.3.

That may be worth double checking.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am really surprised to see a 545 behind an 8.3.

That may be worth double checking.
Yeah, I was suprised to hear that too. I dont know a lot about crowns, but that doesn’t seem like a likely combination. I thought they were all DD 6-71 midship so this whole combo is strange to me. If it was a 643 I would be checking flights to cali right now.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hmmmm...an 8.3 has a torque range of 670 - 1,075 lb-ft. A 545 is maxed at 445.

Something in those numbers sez maybe not.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
I don't see Crown putting a 545 in their buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I don't see Crown putting a 545 in their buses.
Just asked him to confirm. I think he may have meant the MT643
Old 12-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Confirmed, its a MT643, he sent a picture of the ID plate.

Now to check with the wife, thats well over budget.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #11
Bus Geek

I'm definitely no Crown enthusiast. But that price seems double, maybe even triple what I typically see them go for.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
Confirmed, its a MT643, he sent a picture of the ID plate.

Now to check with the wife, thats well over budget.
Don't do that. She could say no. It easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Just be ready to duck and cover. ... and sleep in the bus.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm definitely no Crown enthusiast. But that price seems double, maybe even triple what I typically see them go for.
I’m no expert either, but I thought they commanded a premium, like significantly more than 10k in this condition, with this type of driveline.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
I’m no expert either, but I thought they commanded a premium, like significantly more than 10k in this condition, with this type of driveline.
They show up less and less at auctions but even pristine ones go for well under ten g's and those have the more desirable drivetrains/layouts. An 8.3 RE is top of the line in other brands. In a Crown that's the lowest model on the totem pole.
15 should get you a crown with tag axles and an 855 cummins. This one I'd think would be a $7500 bus at full retail.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:14 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: 6-71TA
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
I checked with them and the drive train has never been rebuilt (according to the records they have) meaning the 314K miles is a lot of miles for what they are asking. I would definitely run some tests on it before paying that kind of money.
GWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRider View Post
I checked with them and the drive train has never been rebuilt (according to the records they have) meaning the 314K miles is a lot of miles for what they are asking. I would definitely run some tests on it before paying that kind of money.
Thats a great point. The 8.3 isn't a class 8 engine like the Detroits and Cummins in Crowns. 300k+ in a school bus route is HARD use.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Quote:
Thats a great point. The 8.3 isn't a class 8 engine like the Detroits and Cummins in Crowns. 300k+ in a school bus route is HARD use.
That's truly a lot for an 8.3 in harsh school bus city service. And you're right, it's a medium duty engine. Probably won't hold up well at all for sustained high speeds and long hours of highway driving. All of these I've driven shake and vibrate a LOT at idle, so bad in fact they had to add a fast idle switch so it wouldn't shake the bus apart. Even a Crown can be shook loose with this amount of vibration over years of service. The original school district near San Diego didn't keep these long at all and dumped them....for probably many, soon to be found reasons for any unwitting new buyer. Low torque means bad hill climbing, excessive vibration, unknown high mileage engine issues to be dealt with, and they aren't cheap to fix either, just because it's a Cummins doesn't guarantee it's superior or cheap to keep.

It looks good and been polished up real good by the seller, who obviously isn't knowledgeable at all about buses, or Crowns for sure, and is only in it to flip it, FAST, to a victim, and run away even faster.

I also don't believe for a second his description of how fast this one goes down the road. Read it carefully and you'll see "it's the fastest Crown he's ever driven", it's most likely the ONLY Crown he's ever driven, ever, and only because it has an automatic transmission, which makes it like a Really big car. He's no driver, or ever been around them enough to know what he's on about.

A typical fast talking, know nothing, lowlife wannabe, used bus salesman. I think I can promise this R.E. 8.3 powered, School District Crown only goes about 63mph, as that was all they were geared to do. But what does he know, 60mph probably had him hanging on for dear life, IF, which I doubt, he even got it going that fast. He most likely thinks that, quick off the line, as this will do when empty, really means it's good on the road, or in hills, NOT, and that it must be Really Fast. Like I said, he was hanging on for dear life trying to keep it in his lane no doubt. I've seen it many times before. Pffft.

His quaint description of the other Crown he has, made me laugh. No pertinent info at all, to cover up his total lack of even a rudimentary inkling of what he was talking about, or trying to impart, and it could be a piece of trash, and probably not running, and/or in pieces, as if he would know or care.

This is a Classic case of: You Pays your Money and Takes your Chances. You could easily spend more, (much more?) to repair it than you paid for it initially . But heh it's a Crown so what could possibly go wrong, right? Even I have my limits, based on reality and the economics of things.

Most definitely a huge Caveat Emptor. You've been warned.

As an aside, I happen to have a Crown right now for sale that will be needing it's engine rebuilt, but it's all included in the price I'm asking of $15K. It's a 35ft two axle with a 6-71 and an MT643 Auto transmission. I'll be doing a full in-frame overhaul of the engine, with kits and liners, and everything will be checked out. When it's finished it will be a turn-key, refurbished Crown, ready for another 3-400K miles and thirty years of use. It was parked when the District Drivers managed to crack the head, while it was in daily CHP certified service, excellently maintained, with none of the deferred maintenance so commonly found on most Crowns available today. Tires, brakes, suspension, air system, electrical, are all in top shape and ready to go today.

So it's been in limbo and waiting for someone to see the underlying high quality and low mileage on it, only needing engine work to bring it back into full Commercial Revenue Service Condition, if so desired. A true diamond in the rough.

I'll stand by this one and am open to inquiries from anyone looking for the finest example of a long lived Crown, ready for untold thousands of miles, and decades of use, while always safely bringing you home again, with a lifetime measured in decades, and which will still probably manage to outlive them.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post
That's truly a lot for an 8.3 in harsh school bus city service. And you're right, it's a medium duty engine. Probably won't hold up well at all for sustained high speeds and long hours of highway driving. All of these I've driven shake and vibrate a LOT at idle, so bad in fact they had to add a fast idle switch so it wouldn't shake the bus apart. Even a Crown can be shook loose with this amount of vibration over years of service. The original school district near San Diego didn't keep these long at all and dumped them....for probably many, soon to be found reasons for any unwitting new buyer. Low torque means bad hill climbing, excessive vibration, unknown high mileage engine issues to be dealt with, and they aren't cheap to fix either, just because it's a Cummins doesn't guarantee it's superior or cheap to keep.

It looks good and been polished up real good by the seller, who obviously isn't knowledgeable at all about buses, or Crowns for sure, and is only in it to flip it, FAST, to a victim, and run away even faster.

I also don't believe for a second his description of how fast this one goes down the road. Read it carefully and you'll see "it's the fastest Crown he's ever driven", it's most likely the ONLY Crown he's ever driven, ever, and only because it has an automatic transmission, which makes it like a Really big car. He's no driver, or ever been around them enough to know what he's on about.

A typical fast talking, know nothing, lowlife wannabe, used bus salesman. I think I can promise this R.E. 8.3 powered, School District Crown only goes about 63mph, as that was all they were geared to do. But what does he know, 60mph probably had him hanging on for dear life. If, which I doubt, he even got it going that fast. He most likely thinks that, quick off the line, as this will do when empty, really means it's good on the road, or in hills, NOT, and that it must be Really Fast. Like I said, he was hanging on for dear life trying to keep it in his lane no doubt. I've seen it many times before. Pffft.

His quaint description of the other Crown he has, made me laugh. No pertinent info at all, to cover up his total lack of even a rudimentary inkling of what he was talking about, or trying to impart, and it could be a piece of trash, and probably not running, and/or in pieces, as if he would know or care.

This is a Classic case of: You Pays your Money and Takes your Chances. You could easily spend more, (much more?) to repair it than you paid for it initially . But heh it's a Crown so what could possibly go wrong, right? Even I have my limits, based on reality and the economics of things.

I appreciate the warning. I am steering clear of this, and probably most other Crowns for the time being. There is a lot for me to learn about these beauties before I plunk down that sort of cash and drive it 3000 miles home.

Either that or she said NO!
Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_Guy View Post

A typical fast talking, know nothing, lowlife wannabe, used bus salesman. I think I can promise this R.E. 8.3 powered, School District Crown only goes about 63mph, as that was all they were geared to do. But what does he know, 60mph probably had him hanging on for dear life, IF, which I doubt, he even got it going that fast. He most likely thinks that, quick off the line, as this will do when empty, really means it's good on the road, or in hills, NOT, and that it must be Really Fast. Like I said, he was hanging on for dear life trying to keep it in his lane no doubt. I've seen it many times before. Pffft.

As an aside, I happen to have a Crown right now for sale that will be needing it's engine rebuilt, but it's all included in the price I'm asking of $15K. It's a 35ft two axle with a 6-71 and an MT643 Auto transmission. I'll be doing a full in-frame overhaul of the engine, with kits and liners, and everything will be checked out. When it's finished it will be a turn-key, refurbished Crown, ready for another 3-400K miles and thirty years of use. It was parked when the District Drivers managed to crack the head, while it was in daily CHP certified service, excellently maintained, with none of the deferred maintenance so commonly found on most Crowns available today. Tires, brakes, suspension, air system, electrical, are all in top shape and ready to go today.

So it's been in limbo and waiting for someone to see the underlying high quality and low mileage on it, only needing engine work to bring it back into full Commercial Revenue Service Condition, if so desired. A true diamond in the rough.

I'll stand by this one and am open to inquiries from anyone looking for the finest example of a long lived Crown, ready for untold thousands of miles, and decades of use, while always safely bringing you home again, with a lifetime measured in decades, and which will still probably manage to outlive them.
Thanks for the info!
sidneyhop is offline   Reply With Quote