Old 03-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

The mechanic said "All of them run good, and they are in the same condition. There are minor gasket leaks (nothing gushing) as to be expected for a vehicle 15 years old. However, mileage is low for a vehicle their age, and diesel engines run for many miles. The vehicles are sold ďas is.Ē They have been serviced regularly for their lifetime by our City shop. You are not likely to have any problems driving the vehicle in the near future".

I also saw where others asked about rust and they replied "some rust on the steps. Nothing around the outside of the vehicles. Some rust on the under carriage on both vehicles"

What about power to weight.. is it low? from what I am seeing it is a 4 cylinder??
okinawascuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawascuba View Post
The mechanic said "All of them run good, and they are in the same condition. There are minor gasket leaks (nothing gushing) as to be expected for a vehicle 15 years old. However, mileage is low for a vehicle their age, and diesel engines run for many miles. The vehicles are sold ďas is.Ē They have been serviced regularly for their lifetime by our City shop. You are not likely to have any problems driving the vehicle in the near future".

I also saw where others asked about rust and they replied "some rust on the steps. Nothing around the outside of the vehicles. Some rust on the under carriage on both vehicles"

What about power to weight.. is it low? from what I am seeing it is a 4 cylinder??
Anyone have an idea if these are 6.4L or 7.2L? The consensus is they are decent on mpg, but low on power. It's an in line 6-cyl.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:47 PM   #13
Skoolie

I misunderstood and thought you went to see them. All you can judge the rust issues on are their answers and the engine pics I guess.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #14

Looking over the same auction

Let me lead this by saying I was poking around to get some info on the same three auctions. I am also considering these, but lack the diesel engine and metal background of okinawascuba. I am a carpenter and electrical hobbyist. For me the build will be easy, but I may build out an oversized piece of lawn art and wouldn't know it.

I am well out of range to get my eyes on these personally and based on the chatter, I am about to consider stepping away in fear of rust and engine repair cost. But, before I do I would love to ask this question. Based on the collective experience, does anyone have a ballpark on where these might end up in price? I see some in CA and AZ that are listing with opening bids at $5000. Is that based on the local market or the fact that they are so less likely to have rust? If they go super low, I may have room to afford metal work and some mechanicals.

And, okinawascuba, if you let me know which of the three you are leaning toward, I will absolutely stay off your auction.

Tony
tonyandselena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I was going to see how they trend but I like the #33 for no real reason other than it was my old hockey number. I would offer the same courtesy back and avoid one you may bid on.

If I bid it wont be until Monday morning and may just opt for the cheapest if no one claims preference for it. I am in VA and I am reading about how much of a PITA it might be to title it as an RV. I can also use a NC address so that is my next option.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #16

I too have no preferences at this point, and am getting colder feet as the time ticks by. I was thinking the same thoughts about waiting until Monday. Might throw something on one tomorrow just to make sure I don't have a website issue at the last minute.

I was probably leaning toward 32. It has slightly lower mileage since everything else looks equal and is being reported as such. And...well, I didn't play hockey past 4th grade on a neighborhood pond. We didn't get numbers.
tonyandselena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
From what little I know about the MB906, I understand it is a very low maintenance motor. It benefits in colder regions. It is made in the USA by Detroit Diesel. This seems like the kind of motor I would prefer, one that is more expensive to repair, but seldom needs repair, than one that is cheaper to repair, but needs it more often.
Looking at those buses, if they aren't rusty, look like good deals at the price they are at. Whether they stay that low or not we'll know on Mon.
The EPA issues on these motors didn't come into play until the 07 year model, the 04's should be safe.
Mileage looks like only difference, #32 would be my first choice also. Let us know your bidder name there so no one bids against you. But I'm going to watch these and make a bid if they stay low. I need an RE. And those all look nice.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawascuba View Post
I was going to see how they trend but I like the #33 for no real reason other than it was my old hockey number. I would offer the same courtesy back and avoid one you may bid on.

If I bid it wont be until Monday morning and may just opt for the cheapest if no one claims preference for it. I am in VA and I am reading about how much of a PITA it might be to title it as an RV. I can also use a NC address so that is my next option.
I lived in southern VA near the border and heard NC is extremely lax with its restrictions. You'll probably have some luck, but I haven't looked into it. I see the VIN lookup and where it spits out 4.8L under engine, but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. MBE906=6.4L MBE926=7.2L I'd say its the 906 based on "engine: 906210". The prices probably don't matter too much atm so good choice so far. The best we can do is avoid bidding against one another and just keep an eye on them. Who knows what will happen.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:24 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandselena View Post
Let me lead this by saying I was poking around to get some info on the same three auctions. I am also considering these, but lack the diesel engine and metal background of okinawascuba. I am a carpenter and electrical hobbyist. For me the build will be easy, but I may build out an oversized piece of lawn art and wouldn't know it.

I am well out of range to get my eyes on these personally and based on the chatter, I am about to consider stepping away in fear of rust and engine repair cost. But, before I do I would love to ask this question. Based on the collective experience, does anyone have a ballpark on where these might end up in price? I see some in CA and AZ that are listing with opening bids at $5000. Is that based on the local market or the fact that they are so less likely to have rust? If they go super low, I may have room to afford metal work and some mechanicals.

And, okinawascuba, if you let me know which of the three you are leaning toward, I will absolutely stay off your auction.

Tony
With only a day or so to go I'm surprised they are as low as they are currently. I will not be surprised if these end up between $4k-$5K.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
With only a day or so to go I'm surprised they are as low as they are currently. I will not be surprised if these end up between $4k-$5K.
I can guarantee I will not be bidding on them if they reach that price.