Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #21

I will be bidding with the same user name. "TonyandSelena"
okinawascuba, what's your username on that site?

Thanks for the input everyone. Keep it coming.

Also, this is probably on a different thread that I haven't found, but if I win this auction and wanted to drive it back to GA, do I need a special permit for my license? Do I need a special dealer tag? Or do we just roll and pray the various police decide to be nice to me?

tonyandselena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandselena View Post
I will be bidding with the same user name. "TonyandSelena"
okinawascuba, what's your username on that site?

Thanks for the input everyone. Keep it coming.

Also, this is probably on a different thread that I haven't found, but if I win this auction and wanted to drive it back to GA, do I need a special permit for my license? Do I need a special dealer tag? Or do we just roll and pray the various police decide to be nice to me?
Go to the UserCP in the upper left and fill out your profile. Are you from Ga? Where? The state of Ga. allows you drive a newly purchased vehicle for 30 days on the BOS. State Farm covers me in any new purchase for 7 days on my existing policy. It's pretty hard to get pulled over by police, buses are invisible on the road. If you do get questioned , show them all the current sales paperwork and let them know you just transporting it home, you shouldn't have any issues. Once converted you'll notice on the back of your license Ga. allows us to drive ALL RV's, regardless of weight or brakes.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #23
Bus Geek

#32 is still sitting at $500 with only one bid, the other 2 are still low in bids.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #24

Well, here we go!
Thank you 01marc for the info on post purchase transportation.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandselena View Post
Well, here we go!
Thank you 01marc for the info on post purchase transportation.
Where in Ga.?
Old 03-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Those auctions stay low until the last hour or so, then the dealers and exporters swoop in and try to snag them last-minute. I had one ping an auction I was doing and extended it out over an hour. They also ran me up almost 50% more than I thought I was going to get my auction for.

Just know what your top bid is, don't put it in until the last 5 minutes or so, and hope for the best.

Oh, and if the auction requires a down-payment, be sure to give yourself some time to enter in all of the info before the close of the auction.

Best of luck!
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
#32 is still sitting at $500 with only one bid, the other 2 are still low in bids.
Just jumped to over $1600 on #32
Old 03-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Quote:
Just jumped to over $1600 on #32
Putting your bid in 5 minutes from the end is not wise. 5 minutes is plenty of time for many more bids to come in. I normally don't bid until 5 seconds before it ends. On eBay, to bid takes 2 steps, placing the bid and then confirming your bid. When mine comes in with 5 seconds to go other bidders won't have time to post another bid. That theory works great on most timed auctions. Unfortunately the Gov. auctions always have the option to "extend" the end of the auction, frustrating.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Putting your bid in 5 minutes from the end is not wise. 5 minutes is plenty of time for many more bids to come in. I normally don't bid until 5 seconds before it ends. On eBay, to bid takes 2 steps, placing the bid and then confirming your bid. When mine comes in with 5 seconds to go other bidders won't have time to post another bid. That theory works great on most timed auctions. Unfortunately the Gov. auctions always have the option to "extend" the end of the auction, frustrating.
Everyone's got their strategy.
Since most of them auto extend and I'm cheap I just bid what I'd actually be willing to spend the day its first listed. Then anyone who wants it has to outspend me. I move on.
I bid on a TON of buses but all the ones I win have been relative bargains. The bus I have now is a cherry and was $1625 total. I bid on it the day it was listed.
On ebay sniping works but on PS or GD its usually not much good unless the auto extend isn't a feature on a particular auction.
Best of luck to all of you.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Since most of them auto extend and I'm cheap I just bid what I'd actually be willing to spend the day its first listed. Then anyone who wants it has to outspend me. I move on.
I bid on a TON of buses but all the ones I win have been relative bargains. The bus I have now is a cherry and was $1625 total. I bid on it the day it was listed.
On ebay sniping works but on PS or GD its usually not much good unless the auto extend isn't a feature on a particular auction.
You really cut yourself short doing it that way. Say you put your bid in for a max of $1650. Your bid hits the top at $1200, guy comes in and will spend $2K. He places a bid and you jump back to the top, he continues until he is high bidder at $1675. Now if you didnt have your bid in and he bids and is the top bidder at $1200, he stops bidding until he gets beat. With the exception of these extended auctions, you would have won that item at $1225, and not lost it at $1650. Best way is know your highest offer and wait to the end to list it, either it wins or not.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Quote:
You really cut yourself short doing it that way. Say you put your bid in for a max of $1650. Your bid hits the top at $1200, guy comes in and will spend $2K. He places a bid and you jump back to the top, he continues until he is high bidder at $1675. Now if you didnt have your bid in and he bids and is the top bidder at $1200, he stops bidding until he gets beat. With the exception of these extended auctions, you would have won that item at $1225, and not lost it at $1650. Best way is know your highest offer and wait to the end to list it, either it wins or not.
I still watch em till the end and sometimes I bid again, but everyone does things their own way.
the way I get em CHEAP is putting in my personal MAX bid as early as I can.
If anyone else wants it after that they can spend more than I want to and I'm fine with that. I move on to another bus.
Its easy peasy.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Quote:
I still watch em till the end and sometimes I bid again, but everyone does things their own way.
the way I get em CHEAP is putting in my personal MAX bid as early as I can.
If anyone else wants it after that they can spend more than I want to and I'm fine with that. I move on to another bus.
Its easy peasy.
You don't get it, that's cool.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I agree.

I really don't think that the bidding strategies borrowed from Ebay apply when it comes to auctions with autoextend.

Figure out what you are willing to pay, bid, walk away....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
You don't get it, that's cool.
Dude I get it.
I do it different than you. That's cool.

FWIW my "max bid" is a crazy low amount I'd consider "wholesale". I do this a lot and I don't use the same tactics as someone hell bent on one particular bus. I go low and often.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I agree.

I really don't think that the bidding strategies borrowed from Ebay apply when it comes to auctions with autoextend.

Figure out what you are willing to pay, bid, walk away....
Yep. Sorta like set it and forget it.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #36

Nothing like placing a bid to make your blood pressure rise. There is an instant feeling of, "man i hope i get outbid so I don't have to actually do all that work." Well, we shall see.

I shot the price up early and hopefully sent people staring at the other two busses. I may hit it again this morning, and try to keep the "ebay" bidders off of #32. But then again, if I hear one more "rust horror story" on youtube, I may just leave it alone and let them all have it. I can always rent a hotel when I travel right?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

I know exactly what you mean.. I’m high bidder on 33 and last night before I went to bed I was thinking along those same lines.. holy crap, this may happen... then the process starts.
okinawascuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #38
Bus Geek

These are the sort of buses I'm talking about. If I didn't know you were wanting one I'd probably throw a $2500 bid at one and sell it on CL this summer.
Good luck with the auction.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Is frxmoney one of the people in this thread? That’s the high bidder on the first bus #31
okinawascuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by okinawascuba View Post
Is frxmoney one of the people in this thread? That’s the high bidder on the first bus #31
Nah, I don't think that's a username here. But who knows.