Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Diesel bus, NEW engine, auto trans $4200

I have for sale a diesel "shortie" bus. Shortie meaning that is has seven rows of seats, and is about 26-28 feet long. Make and model are 1982 Chevy/Bluebird

This bus was in school district service until recently, and was CHP certified before it was sold, so EVERYTHING works, very good rubber on front, good rubber on back. The engine was replaced last year, and starts and runs perfectly. A barely visible wisp of smoke for the first 20 seconds or so, then none at all, and one touch of the key and the bus runs. It sat overnite here in Fresno at below 40 degrees, and started the next morning first crank.

It has an Allison 4 speed automatic transmission, power steering and brakes, and is very simple to drive. The transmission shifted flawlessly, and has two additional benefits: First, if you have multiple drivers, or don't know how to double clutch, anyone can drive it. No danger of grinding gears or frying clutches trying to find a gear on a tough uphill or downhill grade.

Secondly, because the Allison automatic has a fluid coupling (the torque convertor) it is gentler on all components, the U-joints, drive line, differential, etc. and even the engine. All your running gear will last longer, and an Allison tranny will outlast a manual transmission with simple maintenance. It has a spin on filter to change yearly, and every few years, it should change the fluid. It uses regular automotive transmission fluid, the red stuff called Dexron.

The engine is a 8.2 litre Detroit Diesel, known as the "fuel pincher" and was designed to give both good power and good fuel economy due to its design, and somewhat smaller displacement of around 500 cubic inches. You should expect probably 10 mpg or better.

I have already driven the bus 400 miles, and it performed flawlessly, except for a vibration when driving on rough and broken pavement.. I had the mechanics at my yard give it an inspection, and we went ahead and replaced the kingpins and kingpin bushings, the front brake pads and a wheel cylinder.

Most buyers would not have noticed anything wrong, as it was perfect on the freeway and good roads, but it is my policy to fix ANYTHING I think is suspect. I never sell a bus with hidden flaws, as my reputation and integrity and honesty are everything to me.

I will offer a guarantee on this bus, bumper to bumper for 1 month or 1,000 miles, anything breaks or goes wrong, I will supply the part and pay for the labor as needed. For the engine and transmission, I will offer a 3 month, 3000 miles guarantee, with the same conditions, anything goes wrong it will be fixed for free by me.

I have owned, and worked on nearly 100 buses and trucks and fire trucks, and have dismantled about 25 buses of many types, and know them very well. You may feel free to Google my name or my project, (Patrick Young, or Wheelchair Project) or talk to people who have bought equipment from me in the past. It will be perfect when it leaves my hands, so you will start fresh with something that has NO problems.

It is a front engine bus, so there is a lot of room for building storage or hanging tanks under the body. And like all diesels, it can be converted to run on veggie if someone chooses to do so.

This may or may not be important, but it is also a good bus for cold country, it has a block heater, sanders for the rear tires, heated outside mirrors, and the bus' heaters in front blow very hot, so if you want to stay real warm while driving, this is a good bus for that.

You can call me for any and all questions, my number is (559) 251-3814 and my name if Patrick. I'm having trouble posting pictures, so please just write to me, and I will send you the six pics I have taken so far.

Thanks

Patrick Young
Wheelchair Project
Fresno, CA (559( 251-3814
WheelchairBusProject@yahoo.com