Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

[East Coast] Really beautiful 6 window blue Skoolie at a steal of a price

https://www.commercialtrucktrader.co...3800-120336419

Check it out. If I was in NY or PA I would be all on it.

elrayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrayes View Post

As the proud owner of a bus from NY, I'd recommend getting photos of the underside, specifically of the wheel wells, so you can get a sense of the rust situation. You can see significant rust poking through the new paint job on the back.

Better pics of the seats would be good too, specifically of where they're bolted to the floor. On my bus at least, the degree of rustiness of those bolt heads was a good indicator of how rusty the floor underneath it turned out to be.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrayes View Post

Looks like its rotten at the rear. That rust never sleeps.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Looks like its rotten at the rear. That rust never sleeps.

exactly the same spot you had to fix on your last amtran... and i remember you had to do some work... that looks 3X worse than that bus was on those corners..

4.78 rear gears, mid profile tires, T-444E, AT545 it will be a 62 MPH top speed bus..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
exactly the same spot you had to fix on your last amtran... and i remember you had to do some work... that looks 3X worse than that bus was on those corners..

4.78 rear gears, mid profile tires, T-444E, AT545 it will be a 62 MPH top speed bus..

-Christopher
Do you happen to have a link to something about this issue? I have rust in the same spot on my bus and I don't know yet what I'm going to do about it.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Do you happen to have a link to something about this issue? I have rust in the same spot on my bus and I don't know yet what I'm going to do about it.
Its usually rotten inside worse than outside.
IC/AmTran seem to rust here the worst.

This was under the reflective tape on Sandi's bus-

They also like to rust under the windows on the rear.

This was inside mine on the rear. I soaked it all in rust converter then patched it up. sandi's walls are completely rotted out inside though. Patched it the best I could.

If shopping for a keeper I'd just avoid rusty buses. Too much work and in the end its never gonna be as good as just starting with a solid example.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
If shopping for a keeper I'd just avoid rusty buses. Too much work and in the end its never gonna be as good as just starting with a solid example.
Yeah, that horse (name's "Rusty") has left the barn - I've gotta deal with what's there in my bus. My back end is in similar shape as these pics, and I have bubbling paint where the license plate goes.

What is actually the source of this rust in this spot? Does the back end leak in various places and water accumulates inside the back wall?
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the back of a bus is sloped down a bit.. and takes a LOT of water spray from the road, take that many times the window seal on the back windows starts to shrink and split with UV and you end up with water in the wall. it also can come from slight leaks around warning lights, clearance lights, etc on the top cap..

Leaks in the front of a bus will get lots of complaints from the driver to the bus barn, leaks in the back, the kids may never notice unless it drips directly on them so they get left untouched..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, that horse (name's "Rusty") has left the barn - I've gotta deal with what's there in my bus. My back end is in similar shape as these pics, and I have bubbling paint where the license plate goes.

What is actually the source of this rust in this spot? Does the back end leak in various places and water accumulates inside the back wall?
YEah moisture accumulates. I think its the poor window seal but ANY source of moisture will lead to this. The moisture gets trapped in the ass end and causes MAJOR rot.
This is just SOME of what came out-

That used to be the structure of the rear wall of the bus!

Honestly, I'd just kill the rust as best you can, cut off the stuff on the surface and patch it up.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the back of a bus is sloped down a bit.. and takes a LOT of water spray from the road, take that many times the window seal on the back windows starts to shrink and split with UV and you end up with water in the wall. it also can come from slight leaks around warning lights, clearance lights, etc on the top cap..

Leaks in the front of a bus will get lots of complaints from the driver to the bus barn, leaks in the back, the kids may never notice unless it drips directly on them so they get left untouched..

-Christopher
I'm planning on making my rear internal wall as an easily (hopefully) removable panel, so I can periodically check the watertightness back there from inside. I'd like to build the whole bus this way, but not really practical.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Another reason for the rust is that on the sides of the bus there are places for the water to drain out. On the rear there isn't.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
YEah moisture accumulates. I think its the poor window seal but ANY source of moisture will lead to this. The moisture gets trapped in the ass end and causes MAJOR rot.
This is just SOME of what came out-

That used to be the structure of the rear wall of the bus!

Honestly, I'd just kill the rust as best you can, cut off the stuff on the surface and patch it up.
My bus looks to be in about the same shape back there. Did you sheet over those two windows because you figured it was hopeless to try and seal them properly?

What condition was your rear bumper in? The side pieces of mine seem to be swelling out a bit, which obviously concerns me about what's going on underneath there.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:41 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Another reason for the rust is that on the sides of the bus there are places for the water to drain out. On the rear there isn't.
Is it possible to put something simple on the back that will do this? Like little ridges or something?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
My bus looks to be in about the same shape back there. Did you sheet over those two windows because you figured it was hopeless to try and seal them properly?

What condition was your rear bumper in? The side pieces of mine seem to be swelling out a bit, which obviously concerns me about what's going on underneath there.
Bumper was fine. The rust was from the trapped moisture inside the rear wall.
YEah, I sealed over the windows cause they're not really needed in that bus. Its a cargo area and sleeping quarters and there was NO way to seal windows since the rot was so pervasive. I'm all for skinning over the leaks.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Is it possible to put something simple on the back that will do this? Like little ridges or something?
Its not the lack of a drip rail, its INSIDE the wall of the bus. The side walls are open at the bottom and the condensation and rain water than leak in simply run down the wall and out. If it can't drain then the water just sits in there. On the rear there are no openings inside the wall at the bottom, at least on the IC/AmTran/Ward buses which all three I've had this issue on were.